Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Updated the first post to include my new snare settings, and to add my secondary snare settings as well. Been getting in a lot more time with the tune bot and still loving being able to understand whats going on with all the notes and tones on my drums!

2. Playing since 1976

I haven't started using my Tune-Bot yet... are your snare settings indicating that you tune the reso head HIGHER-PITCHED than your batter head? I've never tried that. I always tune my reso head lower-pitched than my batter head. I think I want to try your approach!

Quote Originally Posted by lddrummer View Post
    Updated the first post to include my new snare settings, and to add my secondary snare settings as well. Been getting in a lot more time with the tune bot and still loving being able to understand whats going on with all the notes and tones on my drums!
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

Yes, I have always tuned the reso side higher than the batter, that is the way I first learned way too many years ago. I got Bob Gatzen's videos and in the first one he tunes his snares that way (he was not very clear which was tighter in the second video), and I got my interest but I never gave it a try...I always said I would next head change, but of course that never came. I have seen after much searching online that it seems to be a fairly even split on which head drummer prefer to be tighter. I still keep meaning to try it one of my snares one day, and hopefully since I have had a little time to experiment I need to remember to give that a try too. Snare drums are my weakness anyway, you think I would have tried that by now

4. Mountain Man

Reso lower than the batter on a snare? That is an alien concept. I've always gone tighter on the reso, that's how my first teacher taught me. He used to say "ludicrously" tight on the reso haha. For tune bot snare settings I go 318 batter and 400 reso. This sounds the best to me

5. Mountain Man

Tried some new settings on my 6.5 x 14 brass FF snare, and am really digging what I have found. Tuned the reso (Evans hazy 300) to 392, a G. Tuned the batter (Evans HD Dry) to 318. Really dried the drum up a bit, but has a really sensitive snare response. Drum has a killer crack to it now. After some more online reading, I am going to try the batter at 330 (an E) and also at 349 (an F). Those two seem to be what a lot of drummers have used over the years. And the reso at a G seems to be one of the most common turnings as well. Give how it is working with this snare, I can see why it has been so widely used.
    I'll do a little experimenting on 330 and 349 and report back. I think I'll leave my reso at 400 though, as I like a sensitive snare. Like you said, these settings really bring out a dry, woody crack...exactly what I'm looking for in a snare! I'm using either an emperor-x or a coated CS.

6. ATTACK!

I tuned my 14x7 maple with HD DRY over 300 HAZY to 335 batter and 365 reso.

7. Playing since 1976

I will try your settings when I can. I've always had an unusual way of tuning my snare reso heads to reduce the buzz created from all of my toms... I may have to stick with that, and just use tune-bot on the batter.

Signing off from Mars...

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    Reso lower than the batter on a snare? That is an alien concept. I've always gone tighter on the reso, that's how my first teacher taught me. He used to say "ludicrously" tight on the reso haha. For tune bot snare settings I go 318 batter and 400 reso. This sounds the best to me

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life
    I will try your settings when I can. I've always had an unusual way of tuning my snare reso heads to reduce the buzz created from all of my toms... I may have to stick with that, and just use tune-bot on the batter.

Signing off from Mars...
    Before you tweak your snares, see what numbers you get using your current tunings. You have some really killer snare sounds in the vids on your website, I would be interested in seeing how you are currently tuning and give that some test time on a snare. Might be that "it" sound you always look for on a snare. It's been nagging me for a couple of years to try the reso looser than the batter anyway

9. Registered User

I really need a setting for my 13x8 reference tom. I can't ind the sweet spot. It's driving me crazy. The setting that the tunebot calculator gives me doesn't sound great.

10. Playing since 1976

I can tell you what setting I hover around using the Tama Tension Watch... between 82 and 85 on the batter... and between 65 and 70 on the reso... much looser... but still very tight for the reso. Now, maybe that "looser" tension on the reso actually plays at a higher frequency because the reso head is so thin??? I don't know. When I have time I will tune my favorite snare up as usual, and measure it with the Tune-Bot!

Before you tweak your snares, see what numbers you get using your current tunings. You have some really killer snare sounds in the vids on your website, I would be interested in seeing how you are currently tuning and give that some test time on a snare. Might be that "it" sound you always look for on a snare. It's been nagging me for a couple of years to try the reso looser than the batter anyway

11. Registered User

Anyone got any suggestions for a 12x6.5 maple snare? I have a GMS that I would love to get sounding better. It is cracked really tight right now, and of course sounds decent like that (but most snares get a decent sound really tight). Anybody use some lower settings for a snare that might make a good starting point?

12. Playing since 1976

These tune-bot settings are in hertz (Hz) correct? So the lower the number, the lower the frequency right?