Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My new Gretsch Renown bop kit

Hey everyone, just got my new kit through the post I've had a play on it after setting it up and tuning it and I have to say, it sounds incredible, exactly the sound I was looking for! The toms are so smooth and the bass can sound pretty low and big, or it can be tuned to a nice round higher pitch, love it!

Thanks to everyone who put forward suggestions in my previous thread, it came down to the best deal I could find when I had the money and I'm really happy with my choice

So, specs:
    Gretsch Renown in Silver Oyster Pearl
    12x8
    14x14
    18x14
    Pearl Virgil Donati signature snare (pictured) or Ludwig Supra 14x5
    Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand and bass pedal, assorted other hardware
    Pictured are the clear Evans G2s that came on the kit, but I have Remo Coated Ambassadors waiting for when I feel like I have time to stop playing it and change over the heads.

Cymbals:
    13" Zildjian K/Z hi hats
    20" Istanbul Azure ride with Pro Mark cymbal rattler
    22" Zildjian K Constantinople Renaissance ride
    Also set up are my 20" Bosphorus Stanton Moore Trash Crash and 18" HHX China because I couldn't be bothered to take them down...

Right, time for the pictures (sorry, they're from my phone)...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Registered User

A few more...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

3. above the grid

Wow!! That looks amazing, I love it. Congrats !!
    "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
    - Wyatt Earp

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Risen Drummer View Post
    Wow!! That looks amazing, I love it. Congrats !!
    Thanks a lot mate! Gotta say I love the finish on it, I checked them all out and this was my favourite, almost ended up with a matt black one (for some reason it was cheapest) until I found this in a clearance deal, pretty happy!

5. Pearl for Life

Man, very sweet. Can't help but love it. Clean and classic.
    Pearl Reference #103 Piano Black
    12x9 | 13x10 | 16x16 | 22x18 |
    Paiste
    Signature | Noise Works | 2002 | 3000 |
    Sound Formula | Alpha |
    Looking for 14x14 Reference Floor Tom in 103 Piano Black

6. Registered User

very nice kit.
    how does the istanbul ride compare to the zildjian?

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by spx118 View Post
    Man, very sweet. Can't help but love it. Clean and classic.
    Thanks a lot mate, I was going for the classic look when I got it, so I'm glad you said that!

Quote Originally Posted by mzd View Post
    very nice kit.
    how does the istanbul ride compare to the zildjian?
    That's a tricky one to answer... The Istanbul is a little bit more defined and not quite as 'complex' as the K Con (when I was picking the K I went for a pretty thin and washy one out of the ones I found), but the K has a really beautiful shimmer to it that I haven't heard in many rides. Both rides have a good crash, but there's a sound from the K where you hit the bow of the cymbal with the tip and the shaft of the stick at the same time that really makes an explosive shimmery sound that sounds amazing. For me the K Con Renaissance model is my favourite ride for small group jazz I've ever played, it's such a nice sound and I'm really glad I got it, but for anyone else I'd probably recommend the Istanbul, purely because of the price. When I got the Istanbul about 2.5-3 years ago it ran me 180, which is ridiculously cheap for a ride here, while the only time I've seen a K Con Renaissance model here it's been 440, fortunately I got mine in Texas for $500 which works out as 320. So personally I love the K Con and I think it is an astonishing sounding cymbal, but it really isn't worth over double the price of the Istanbul.

Eventually I'll put a couple of rivets in the Istanbul rather than having the Pro Mark Rattler (it's too thick and takes away a bit too much tone) and I'm thinking I'll get a K Custom Special Dry ride, because that should give me an awesome contrast between the 3.

8. Less is more

that's really lovely. seldom do i see a kit on here where i like every single piece. that's one of them. just about perfect.....ill bet that little kick sounds nice and tight. perfect cymbals, and ideal hardware....i just switched to the ic lever glide hihat stand myself. the best, period.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chilledbongo View Post
    that's really lovely. seldom do i see a kit on here where i like every single piece. that's one of them. just about perfect.....ill bet that little kick sounds nice and tight. perfect cymbals, and ideal hardware....i just switched to the ic lever glide hihat stand myself. the best, period.
    Cheers mate, glad you think so! The kick sounds awesome, it took me a matter of minutes to assemble it and tune it to exactly how I wanted it to sound, it's really easy to work with. I started off tuning it quite high to a resonant note and it sounded beautiful, now I'm trying it at a lower tuning and it sounds really nice, tight and punchy, lovely. Glad you like the cymbal set up, it's getting there, just one dryer ride and I'll be happy with it! And yeah I agree about the IC hi hat stand, the lever glide is so smooth and it's so solid as well as being priced really well. Definitely beats all the DW and Pearl stands for me.

10. above the grid

Quote Originally Posted by gaffro View Post
    Thanks a lot mate! Gotta say I love the finish on it, I checked them all out and this was my favourite, almost ended up with a matt black one (for some reason it was cheapest) until I found this in a clearance deal, pretty happy!
    Im sure your glad you went with this instead of matt black, i love a matt black but this kit destroys that finish. Well done
    "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
    - Wyatt Earp

11. Away From The World

Sweet kit man, classy.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Risen Drummer View Post
    Im sure your glad you went with this instead of matt black, i love a matt black but this kit destroys that finish. Well done
    Yeah the matt black looked pretty good, but as soon as I unpacked this one I realised I'd definitely made the right choice, I'm really happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiref View Post
    Sweet kit man, classy.
    Thanks a lot!