Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Registered drum user

Post Early 60s Ludwig snare restoration project

I posted a thread a few days ago to help me identify this drum I found. Based on the helpful answers I got and my own research, the drum is a Ludwig Jazz Festival snare drum produced between 1960-1963. It was pretty grungy when I found it and the original blue sparkle wrap was covered in some sort of black vinyl. I am in the process of cleaning and restoring this drum to its former glory! I'm having a lot of fun with this project and I'll post pics as I go along. Here are the pictures of the drum as I found it.

Completed project pictures on page 3!! Plus before and after pics.

This drum has a 5.5" deep shell while the Jazz Festival is listed with a 5" shell but according to the vintage drum guide there were some early Jazz Festivals produced with older 5.5" shells the factory was using up. I still can't figure out why there are extra holes under the strainer but perhaps it will remain a mystery.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by livingstone; 02-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
    Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
    Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
    Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks

2. I <3 Ludwigs.

I had a feeling that was going to be a transitional badge JF with a replacement P-85 strainer!
    Keep your eyes out for a P-83, they're tons smoother and will make the drum really look authentic.
    *edit* Just checked your old thread and it's not a trans badge, but a pre-serial, so it's a '60-62.

3. Registered drum user

Here's a link to my original discovery thread for this snare...

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...asure-or-trash

4. Registered drum user

Here are some photos of the shell with the hardware removed, then the bare shell after removing the black vinyl.

5. Registered drum user

Here are a few more with the old vinyl beside the drum for reference. Also a pic of the butt plate.

6. I'm Ron $%&# Swanson

looks good so far!
    I'm using my Christmas avatar until they are the correct size.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."- Calvin (Bill Watterson)

7. Less is more

btw, did you see this on ebay? gives you some ideas ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1972...item1c2610a164

8. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by chilledbongo View Post
    btw, did you see this on ebay? gives you some ideas ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1972...item1c2610a164

Yeah I have seen that one. Most of these drums that I have found are selling in the $400 to $600 range. I'm pretty stoked! It's cleaning up really nicely.

9. Ew, is that a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Yeah I have seen that one. Most of these drums that I have found are selling in the $400 to $600 range. I'm pretty stoked! It's cleaning up really nicely.
    Indeed, if you get this baby shined up and add some nice Pearl or Puresound wires, you'll certainly have a $500 drum. You can use Brasso and some 0000 steel wool to clean up the metal hardware, and you can grab a Ludwig grommet for $3 on eBay if you want to fasten the Keystone back on a little better. It's easy to make a grommet installation tool with about $1.50 worth of parts from a hardware store. From the look of the hardware, it's the perfect kind of wear- calcium buildup and smudging. Easy to remove and return the drum to near-mint condition. If the edge where the wrap ends and the bearing edge begins is rough, you can get a medium grit sanding sponge and smooth out the transition by setting the shell on the floor and moving along the edge in a circular motion.

10. Registered User

In the other thread you said that it has 2 extra holes. Where are they? The P-85 and P-83 are direct replacments so no new holes should have been drilled to swap the strainer. If you have extra holes you will drop the value by at least $100. I 've been collecting and restoring Ludwig drums for many years. The tension rods are not really a big deal to a collector neither are the washers. As long as they match and are not rusty. The Jazz Fest drums on Ebay that are LISTED for $600+ are from Lee County Music. Their parts and drums are REALLY overpriced and rarely sell for those prices. Average nice jazz fest will bring $400 to $450. I clean chome with 0000 steel wool ( make sure it is 0000 and nothing else!) and chrome polish. Novus Plastic polish is best for cleaing and polishing wrap. You can get it on ebay for 7 bucks. Your wrap will look like new. Good luck.

11. Registered User

Was going to suggest you check out Vintage Drum Forum...but I see you already found it!

12. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbum675 View Post
    In the other thread you said that it has 2 extra holes. Where are they? The P-85 and P-83 are direct replacments so no new holes should have been drilled to swap the strainer. If you have extra holes you will drop the value by at least $100. I 've been collecting and restoring Ludwig drums for many years. The tension rods are not really a big deal to a collector neither are the washers. As long as they match and are not rusty. The Jazz Fest drums on Ebay that are LISTED for $600+ are from Lee County Music. Their parts and drums are REALLY overpriced and rarely sell for those prices. Average nice jazz fest will bring $400 to $450. I clean chome with 0000 steel wool ( make sure it is 0000 and nothing else!) and chrome polish. Novus Plastic polish is best for cleaing and polishing wrap. You can get it on ebay for 7 bucks. Your wrap will look like new. Good luck.
    Hmm, that's interesting about the holes. I just assumed that they would have been drilled to swap the strainer. There is a narrower set of holes between the outer set of holes that currently fit the P-85. I'll attach a couple pics. You can't see it too well in the picture but there is an impression in the wrap around the inside holes, so something definitely was there.