Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

IC Wood on an open, unported bass drum has a great response as well as solid tone and attack. They're light, but they pack plenty of power and they never wear down. I will say that without kevlar patches, they kill heads quickly, but I like the added bit of focus patches provide anyway.
    2009 Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 7-piece
    1979 Pearl Fiberglass Vanilla Marine Pearl 5-piece
    Snare: '67/'04 14x6.5 Ludwig Supra 402
    Sabian Cymbals

2. Registered User

Another vote for the classic round felt beaters.

I've owned and tested a ton of different beaters, and nothing comes close to the feel of a big felt beater on my pedals. Punchy, without too much attack, enough weight to provide some power in the stroke, and excellent volume and tone every time.

When I need to be louder, or would prefer even more attack, the Vater and Danmar redwood beaters are another favorite of mine, although I'd say they're quite a bit less versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaM View Post
    jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.

3. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Demon Drive wood beater is the best I've ever used. Great feel, weight, and attack. Especially great in unmic'ed situations. I rarely use it however because it destroys heads and patches.

I agree with this. My solution was the Evans AF patch. The wooden demon hasn't gone through that. You should try it

4. Ew, is that a snake?

I use Ludwig Speedking felt beaters on my custom Eliminators and my Tamco. My tamborine foot pedal uses a felt IC beater without the weight for lightness. I also own some Pearl quad beaters- I have no problem with their weight or feel and would use them without question if I didn't already have so many classic felt models. The look and feel of the DW felt beaters is nice as well; a bit lighter than a classic felt beater but heavier than a Tama beater. Sadly, they're a bit pricey as I'd want to replace all 5 of my main pedal beaters for consistant feel.

5. The Hardware Guy

One thing I've noticed, is there isn't a whole lot of rubber faced beaters on the market. Other than the IC rubber face beater, and the RT's I use, I don't see a whole lot of others. Which is odd as rubber makes such a good "middle of the road" beater material compared to wood or plastic and felt; it's not as harsh and unforgiving as wood or plastic, but mot as soft and dull as felt...
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2

6. PDF's Only Catdog

The next beaters I really wanna try out are the ones on the Trick Dominators
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Soon, there will be no drummers, only a guy standing in the background clapping.

7. Registered User

Round felt always.
    I play Panda Percussion and Istanbul Mehmet Cymbals with negligible talent.

At any time let x be the number of kits I own, then x+1 is the number of kits I want.

8. Registered User

I love Pearl's quad beater. I always use the plastic side where the curve goes from top to bottom. When I was using Axis I always used the sonic hammers. A lot of people hate them for some reason. I'll admit that the ball construction ins a little bit iffy but I fixed that with Pearl's red beater weights(seen below). Adds to the pedal too, since they're red. I never did try the cork or felt stickers that come with it. I fell in love with the sound of the sonic hammers against an EMAD instantly. I might buy another set to put on my eliminators. Call me crazy....

Solo project: "Suicide Animals" - experimental death thrash industrial zombie noiz
    drums: Pearl Prestige Session Select in Carbon Mist
    hardware: all Pearl
    cymbals: Paiste (Signature, Sound Formula, RUDE, VISIONS, 2002, and Twenty Series)

"Everything you do is a reflection of you......"

9. At the Crossroads

Round Felt, If it aint broke dont fix it!
    If you're not Groovin in the Pocket you're just makin noise!

Looking for a MLX 18 inch tom in liquid amber

10. 4 on the floor!

i've always wanted to get a set of puresound speedball beaters. From the looks of their site they are discontinued though.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    For Sale: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride. Inquire within.
    Perfect Balance Pedal for sale!

'99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

11. Registered User

I use the basic Ludwig beater that came with my pedal. It's nothing special really. I'm thinking of upgrading to IC Rubber when I get new pedals.

12. Registered Amuser

Now I use a Pearl Quadbeater on my Eliminator, but I want to get a Yamaha Direct Drive Flying Dragon with a Vater Vintage Bomber. I really want a Demon Drive felt to use too.
    Looking to trade some gear:
    10/12/16/22 Pearl Vision Shell Pack and 18" Meinl Byzance Brilliant Thin Crash (pm me with offers)
    PSN: MitchTheDrummer - send your PDF name if you add me