Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Dirtysticks

Default Pearl Sensitone Custom Brass 5.5x13 ( discontinued)

I am so happy to have gotten a Brass Sensitone 5.5x13 today. It looks to be in pretty much new condition and it sounds amazing! I love it... it is a versatile snare as well, even though I have it franked a little above mid range for great pop and attack with great tone and body.

I work at a storage company and a tenant had abandoned a storage unit. A coworker saw a snare in the unit, and knew I was a drummer so they gave it to me, because we were going to toss just about all of the contents away. The snare was an uninspiring OCDP 7X13 In Ash veneer finish. It didnt really cause much joy to get it because I'm not that impressed by OCDP's production line, but at least it was free. I knew I wasn't gonna keep it too long so today on my lunch I went to see what I could trade it for, and that's when I spotted this sensitione in the snare section at Guitar Center.

It was all dusty, but with a new Evans HD dry snare head on it, it sounded good. But I knew it could be better. I swapped the HD dry for the Aquarian High Velocity on the OCDP, and voila!!! Instant perfection. This one is definitely keeper. I traded in the OCDP, paid a $40 difference and I couldn't be happier about it. I love this size and the sound of the brass.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    Last edited by marquisjohnson22; 03-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Pearl Masters Studio 5pc
    Pearl Prestige Session select 6pc
    MIJ Tama Starclassic 5pc
    Tama Iron Cobra/ Paiste Sigs and 20 Ser and Alpha
    An array of snare drums
    Live/Session Drummer
    Studio: Magik Eye Studio/ Campus Records
    Bands: Magik Shooz/ The Fyre Factory Band

2. Registered User

Never quite sure why they stopped making these, they're lovely drums. I had one for a few years when they came out and really enjoyed using it.

3. Dirtysticks

Yeah it seems like Pearl sometimes discontinues some of their best snares. This one is sensitive, it projects, its versatile, it has tons of tone... this is definitely a snare they should have kept in the lineup, but I'm just happy I got my hands on this one. I know they aren't rare, but this is the first one I have seen myself, and I didn't even know Pearl had made a 5.5x13 brass. It seems that most people who have them end up keeping them for a while, especially since they are discontinued.

I had never been a huge brass lover in my drumming history, within the last 6 months, I have really fell in love with brass snares. Its not that i disliked, nut i had never given them a real try. I now have 3 all brass snares and my DW edge. The 3 brass snares are all versatile, and the edge, although not as versatile, sounds amazing.
    Last edited by marquisjohnson22; 03-22-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Pearl Masters Studio 5pc
    MIJ Tama Starclassic 5pc
    An array of snare drums
    Live/Session Drummer

4. Pearl Masters Drummer

I'm jealous---that size sounds perfect and I too am in the market for a brass snare. Looking into the sensitone elite classic II brass. Awesome with the tube lugs and die cast rims. Can't wait to see yours.

5. Registered User

Hi,

That's a great find. I still have my Steel Sensitone 13x5.5, but I wish I hadn't sold the Brass one. I've been trying to find a brand new one of those for a long time.

MM
    2013 Pearl Reference Pure / #000 Marshall Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6x8 TT, 5.5x13 SD, 4x12 SD

2014 Pearl Reference Pure "Metro Gig Pro" / #000 Marshall Black

16x16 KD, 10x13 FT, 6x10 TT, 5x12 SD

6. Less is more

can't beat that for a cheap score .... id love to compare the pearl to my pork pie black on brass, though it's 6.5, which i love the beefy sound of.....

im a big fan of my sensitone elite 5.5 steel, so im sure the brass is just as great, if not greater.

you never know what's gonna fall out of a storage unit ...

7. Dirtysticks

I wasn't to keen on that OCDP snare, but I was thrilled to be able to turn that find into a 13" brass sensitone!

I used to have an older model 10 lug stainless steel sensitone with tube lugs that I still regret selling. It was before they were named elite. I eventually may try to find a 5.5x13 steel sensitone to replace it, but my wife is starting to complain about my growing drum collection, so I may have to wait until a special occasion to justify spending more money... lol!

The sensitone snares can be some amazing drums! Very versatile
    Pearl Masters Studio 5pc
    MIJ Tama Starclassic 5pc
    An array of snare drums
    Live/Session Drummer

8. Dirtysticks

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Hi,

I've been trying to find a brand new one of those for a long time.

MM
    Yeah, they are hard to find, seeing as though they are discontinued. A lot of the drummers who have them don't seem to want to part ways with either. This was the 1st brass sensitone in this size that I had seen or even heard of. I love 13" snares and had to snatch it up.
    Pearl Masters Studio 5pc
    MIJ Tama Starclassic 5pc
    An array of snare drums
    Live/Session Drummer

9. Registered User

Hi Marquis,

Yes, I managed to purchase a brand new one of the brass 13" Sensitones about a year after they were discontinued because Pearl still had a few of them left in stock at the warehouse. Like a dummy, I still ended up selling it a couple of years later when I began using wood snare drums all of the time.

Now I wish I still had the brass Sensitone to go along with my steel one (which I customized with the new Reference Pure hoops and swivel tub lugs to match my new RFP kit).

MM
    2013 Pearl Reference Pure / #000 Marshall Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6x8 TT, 5.5x13 SD, 4x12 SD

2014 Pearl Reference Pure "Metro Gig Pro" / #000 Marshall Black

16x16 KD, 10x13 FT, 6x10 TT, 5x12 SD

10. Matt Flacche

I would really like to see your upgraded Sensitone snare... got pics?

Hi Marquis,

Yes, I managed to purchase a brand new one of the brass 13" Sensitones about a year after they were discontinued because Pearl still had a few of them left in stock at the warehouse. Like a dummy, I still ended up selling it a couple of years later when I began using wood snare drums all of the time.

Now I wish I still had the brass Sensitone to go along with my steel one (which I customized with the new Reference Pure hoops and swivel tub lugs to match my new RFP kit).

MM

11. Dirtysticks

Hi Marquis,

MM
    That sucks... I definitely don't see myself selling this one. Right now, every snare I have in my collection is a keeper, so I try not to add a snare unless I love the voicing of the snare and plan on keeping it. I used to have 24 snares, but I weeded out all of the snares that were good, but not amazing and kept only the ones I truly loved. I'm now down to 12 snares.

I may have to steal your idea and customize my brass the way you did your steel... I'd love to see how that looks, even though I can imagine it looks pretty sick!
    Pearl Masters Studio 5pc
    MIJ Tama Starclassic 5pc
    An array of snare drums
    Live/Session Drummer

12. Ginger and Mary Ann

There are only 2 Pearl snares I like.... Brass Sensitone and Ultracast. Congrats on the good find and take care of it...