Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Mildly Un-Attractive

Default Demon Drive Pedals Over DW 9002PC?

I own a pair of Demon Drive double pedals since 2009. I've never played any double pedals before these DD I currently own. I was wondering how they compare to DW 9002PC double pedal assembly? I always see many professional drummers regardless what brand drums or hardware usually substitute with a DW9000 series hardware for pedals. I'm guessing they're on the same level as Peal to some degree. I know they don't have ninja bearings in them and aren't all new compared to the new DD set but I'd like to know technically how they differ. Sadly I don't have the cash to try them side by side nor does any store in Orlando just demo pedals to this degree. You might be lucking if you find a DW 5000 series sitting on a floor that has been slopped to death but that's about it. Thanks for any info / feedback!
    Linux System Engineer

2. Moshpit machine

This is marketing at its best - convincing the drummers, that certain pedals are "the best", "fastest", "smoothest" etc.
    DW's are nice pedals, but they have their flaws, and they are very overpriced. Personally, i would choose demon drives over any dw pedal, and so would many others. You need to understand, that you should pick your pedals by what feels good under your foot, and not by what drummer X is using.

by the way, here in europe almost nobody uses dw pedals. Peal/tama/mapex are kings here
    Under the sign of D-beat

3. your band sucks

I've recently gone from a DW 8002B double pedal to a Demon Drive, and already I can tell that the Demon Drive is a far, far superior pedal. The build quality is much better, everything feels more solid. I love DW hardware, but I think Pearl has the edge in the pedal department with the Demon Drive.

4. Get Down On It

Here's the crazy thing. No one will ever tell you a Speed King is the most advanced or smoothest or whatever, but it gets the job done. If you played one as a kid, you'd probably favor it over any of the new crop of pedals. You get used to the feel.

I played an old Slingerland strap drive (one of those green ones) for years and developed a pretty good right foot, if I do say so myself. Doubles and triples were learned and played well on an inferior pedal. When I switched to a Tama Flexi-flyer in 88 or so, I had to adjust. Every new pedal from basic Pearls to Elims to 5000's and 9000's have required a slight adjustment to my technique.

But I still long for that easy Slingerland floppin away under my foot. No matter how much it wobbled, I could play it.
    Ludwig Keystone in pewter glass 8X10, 9X12, 16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 Gretsch laquered brass Legend
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

5. Registered User

Last edited by scottevtv; 09-01-2012 at 09:35 AM.

6. Registered User

to me these are great pedals however i prefer DD a little bit more because of the price and i'm a pearl fan! but i believe dw9002 are still good to some people,and the thing you say about "many professional drummers" use dw9002,,, i guess it's because 9002 came out way earlier than DD,haha but i must say if pearl change the orange color on DD would be better...just my opinion~

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummerandy View Post
    to me these are great pedals however i prefer DD a little bit more because of the price and i'm a pearl fan! but i believe dw9002 are still good to some people,and the thing you say about "many professional drummers" use dw9002,,, i guess it's because 9002 came out way earlier than DD,haha but i must say if pearl change the orange color on DD would be better...just my opinion~
    I like the orange!! It looks like racing colors to me. The pedal is smexy. Orange FTW!

8. 4 on the floor!

in a position of never wanting or needing to worry about how fast I can move my foot during a song, I find the purpose of creating and using "faster and faster" pedals totally 100% pointless. But thats just like...my opinion...man.

I bought my 9002 just after they came out to replace an old set of 5000's I had that were 10+ years old. I will play my 9000's until they disintegrate below my toes.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    For Sale: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride. Inquire within.
    Perfect Balance Pedal for sale!

'99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by playinpearls View Post
    in a position of never wanting or needing to worry about how fast I can move my foot during a song, I find the purpose of creating and using "faster and faster" pedals totally 100% pointless. But thats just like...my opinion...man.

I bought my 9002 just after they came out to replace an old set of 5000's I had that were 10+ years old. I will play my 9000's until they disintegrate below my toes.
    Good for you. I didnt get the Demons for just speed. I wanted a smooth direct drive pedal. Its about how smooth it is and not just how fast it is. I had the 9000 and didnt like them at all. If money is an issue, the. I can understand why you are never going to buy another pedal.

10. Moshpit machine

Practice is what makes you fast, not your pedals.
    Under the sign of D-beat

11. 4 on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by scottevtv View Post
    Good for you. I didnt get the Demons for just speed. I wanted a smooth direct drive pedal. Its about how smooth it is and not just how fast it is. I had the 9000 and didnt like them at all. If money is an issue, the. I can understand why you are never going to buy another pedal.
    Money isn't the issue. I guess my argument for me personally is why upgrade something that works fine.

However, I just got back from GC.com and I had no clue that 9000's had jumped up to 569 a pair. That is just crazy. I got mine for 400 even. Seeing that there is only 20 bucks difference between the two, if I had to buy a set now, i'd certainly look at both..as well as the speed cobra.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    For Sale: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride. Inquire within.
    Perfect Balance Pedal for sale!

'99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare