Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default 22x18 Reference kick too big for jazz?

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a Granite Sparkle Reference 10/12/14/22x18. I play a lot of combo gigs ranging from trios to a quintet that does Sinatra/Buble etc. I do also get calls to play several other genres ranging from country with a kick butt band to an 11 piece funky horn band. I have a Ludwig Classic Maple with a 20x14 kick and it is a little thin on the heavy stuff. I love the multi wood idea and am a huge Pearl fan and I can get a pretty good deal on the kit, BUT I am afraid the kick is gonna be too much. I am a musical player and I don't hammer the drums. Thoughts please....thx!!

2. Registered User

Many jazz legends used bigger kicks than a 22. You'll be fine. You can control much of that with head choice and tuning anyways.

Buy Nice or Buy Twice!

My Cherry Craviottos

3. Registered User

I suggest you try out the kit before buying if you can. Not so much the 22x18 size being the issue. More a question of whether a Ref is right for you. From the description of the music you paly, I would have thought there might be better alternatives, but might be perfect depending on your preference, so I suggest try before you buy.

4. Angoose

What about Reference Pure, with the thinner shells and hoops? Try that as well!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NuggsTheDrummer View Post
    What about Reference Pure, with the thinner shells and hoops? Try that as well!
    Yeah, it seems like if you like the hybrid shell idea, but play a lot of sensitive music, the Pure would be more your style. I haven't played a Reference in a couple years, so I don't really remember it personally, but people always talk about how especially loud they are.
    2009 Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 7-piece
    1979 Pearl Fiberglass Vanilla Marine Pearl 5-piece
    Snare: '67/'04 14x6.5 Ludwig Supra 402
    Sabian Cymbals

6. Registered User

Would a MCX be a better choice perhaps? If so, you guys like them better than the CMs I have? Thx!!!

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

I would also suggest that you try to pick up the Reference kick to see what life will be like lugging it around in a 22x18 size. It's very heavy and in my experience owning a 22x18 six ply Masters Premium kick, even that was getting too large to lug around each and every week. I much prefer 22x16 and I also ordered a 20x16 as well which I think will be great for a lot of reasons. It's surprising how much extra room is lost in the vehicle with just 2 extra inches on the kick. Also, Reference or Masters would be great kits for what you do. It's a matter of you checking each out and seeing which one you like better, but I do think the kick size is a factor to consider since you do gig so much. If you're mixing your kick you'll be just fine regardless of the style you play. I've heard and played 18 inch kicks used in clubs playing rock music and couldn't believe how great it sounded. I didn't like the feel of the 18 as much, but in the crowd you would never have guessed it was an 18--sounded much much bigger.

8. Registered User

Well, they're definitely more cost effective than Refs or Ref Pures, and odds are you'll get them sooner. The shells are a little thicker than you might like, but they're good for me because I do tend to "hammer" them as you put it (and I do it musically! ). Honestly, I think head choice is the ultimate thing as far as overall sensitivity, so don't necessarily turn away from them just because of that. Every shop I've been to has one on the floor, so I say just play one, check out its tuning range, and see for yourself. I have no experience with Ludwig kits really, so I can't help you as far as that goes.
    2009 Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 7-piece
    1979 Pearl Fiberglass Vanilla Marine Pearl 5-piece
    Snare: '67/'04 14x6.5 Ludwig Supra 402
    Sabian Cymbals

9. Registered User

I will also throw a Sonor S Classix in the mix 12/14/20x18. Access to a used one in the same price range as the Ref.

10. Kennedy Camden

I come from the thought that there are no rules. If you like the sound of it, play it.

11. Purple Crazed

I reckon my 2 cents comes a bit late. I converted an 18x16 floor tom into a bass drum using a slight modified Pearl hoop mount, jungle gig, and two single ply heads (that were cut to give another head an internal dampening ring) and it is loud, full, and awesome. I prefer to play it over my 22x18 bass drum.
    Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series: 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama High Octobans

12. Sabian since 1991

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I reckon my 2 cents comes a bit late. I converted an 18x16 floor tom into a bass drum using a slight modified Pearl hoop mount, jungle gig, and two single ply heads (that were cut to give another head an internal dampening ring) and it is loud, full, and awesome. I prefer to play it over my 22x18 bass drum.
    Nice work I'll keep that in mind!
    Pearl Reference Purple Craze 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x10 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 22x18
    Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 22x18
    Eric Singer 14x6.5 Maple | Omar Hakim 13x5 Mahogany
    Reference 14x6.5 Brass | Reference 14x5 20 Ply

Drum Kit of the Year 2012 - Runner Up