Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Need info on Pearl World Series?

Whats up guys new too this site, But had a question I just bought some Pearl World Series drums and cant find anything about them at all could you guys help me out. Im in the process of refininshing them.
    Thanks Doug.

2. Breakin Space Laws

Introduced in 1985 and used 7ply shells consisting of Birch, Mahogany and Super Lamininate

Congrats on kit and keep us updated on refinish of shells

3. Paiste-oholic

The light colored wood is birch, the dark is phillipine mahogany. I still have my set, 25 years and going strong! The World Series came in a choice of laquered painted colors in the WLX (Prestige World), or covered finishes in the WX. It replaced Pearl's DLX/DX series of drums. This series is an intermediate series, just above the Exports, and just below the BLX/BX birch drums, as they were called at the time. The only difference in hardware was that the Worlds came with the TH-80 Tom Holders, whereas the higher series kits came with the TH-90 tom holders. Worlds came out around 1985, then were made until the early 1990's, when it was renamed after some improvements and became (insert series here).

Your set's color is called Antique Ivory. It was off white, yours is not solely from fading.

4. Registered User

Great thanks guys, so is this a wrap or not I candidate really tell from looking at it.

5. New and Improved!!

I play on a 1985 WX (it's not mine)and it's a great set. There is a whole Forum category in here called Vintage Drums...lots of stuff in there. Welcome to the PDF!
    Last edited by HiFiBri; 02-15-2012 at 05:52 PM.

6. Breakin Space Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Daydrummer View Post
    Great thanks guys, so is this a wrap or not I candidate really tell from looking at it.
    Antique Ivory is a lacquer .. the 13x11 tom looks like Pure White which is a wrap.

7. Paiste-oholic

Quote Originally Posted by Daydrummer View Post
    If it's a wrap, you can see a seam on the outside of the shell where one end lays on top of the other end of wrap.

8. Dug Macleod,Sith Rhythmatist.

The Prestige session replaced the world series in 1992 I think (SX and SLX) Nice set, I have one in mirror chrome, my first kit i bought in 1987.
    "Let your Darkside be your compass..

Looking for Premier Black shadow resonator 10" tom and 18" floor tom!

9. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Stranjluv101 View Post
    The light colored wood is birch, the dark is phillipine mahogany. I still have my set, 25 years and going strong! The World Series came in a choice of laquered painted colors in the WLX (Prestige World), or covered finishes in the WX. It replaced Pearl's DLX/DX series of drums. This series is an intermediate series, just above the Exports, and just below the BLX/BX birch drums, as they were called at the time. The only difference in hardware was that the Worlds came with the TH-80 Tom Holders, whereas the higher series kits came with the TH-90 tom holders. Worlds came out around 1985, then were made until the early 1990's, when it was renamed after some improvements and became (insert series here).

Your set's color is called Antique Ivory. It was off white, yours is not solely from fading.
    daydrummer:
    Welcome to the PDF
    I can add more. Since you have coffin lugs on your world series, you kit is from either 1985 or 1986. In 1987 the lugs changed, and we collectively call that world series 2 here.
    You can find some catalogue pages here:
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...talogue-Corner
    2nd post, page 1

Stranjluv,
    I'll pull you up on the two points I made bold.
    For a time the DX/DLX and WX/WLX were side by side.
    And apart from the tom arms, the DX/DLX had super hoops (V1), and the WX/WLX did not...

10. Registered User

I had a red World Series kit I brought in 1992 in rock sizes 12,13,16 and 24.It was a really well built kit with great hardware the 24 bass just fiited into the back door of my commodore sedan.The inside of of the shells were sealed clear to add projection.Was a really great rock kit,well worth the effort to refinish one.

11. Paiste-oholic

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post

Stranjluv,
    I'll pull you up on the two points I made bold.
    For a time the DX/DLX and WX/WLX were side by side.
    And apart from the tom arms, the DX/DLX had super hoops (V1), and the WX/WLX did not...
    I forgot about the SH's...

I recall the DLX/DX and WLX/WX running concurrently, but could that have been that they were discontinuing the one while starting the newer one...The Worlds were so much like the DLX/DX line that both really were not needed. I wonder when the DLX/DX were out of production, and clues?

Speaking of Worlds, before '92, were they ever offered with one piece lugs? I have Worlds with coffins, then the MK.2 lugs, just curious if they ever took after the other Pearl lines that used the longies. I think just about all of Pearl's major lines in the end of the '80's had gone to those.

12. Registered User

Great thanks, I have never refinished drums and didnt want to mess them up.
    Well I just check the 13 and there is NO seam at all the only thing is this light crack.
    Last edited by Daydrummer; 02-16-2012 at 06:05 AM.