Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Yay for overpriced Canadian drums!
    | Pearl | Sabian | Evans | Pro-Mark |
    Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 16x16, 22x18, MPL Snare 14x5.5

OUTSIDE PICTURES 08/12/13!

I need a funny line to quote.

2. Registered User

^^ I know... But mcx shell packs were around $1500 here in Quebec City during the shop's clearance sale. To the OP, if you have tried both kits, you should be able to decide which one you prefer, and what price difference is going to pull you in one direction or the other (i.e. I liked this one less, so it would have to be that much less than the other kit).
    Gretsch Renown maple and My Ludwig kit; Yamaha, Pearl Sensitone Aluminum and Pork Pie snares. DW 9002, Pearl Eliminator and IC Powerglide double pedals. Many cymbals.
    Some pics of my 2 other kits (middle of the page) http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?...1&age=0&ppg=19

3. Pearl fan

I purchase my stuff through Midwestpercussion.com. They have MCX shell packs for $1495, plus 15% off, plus free shipping. Definitely worth looking into.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mendell View Post
    ^^ I know... But mcx shell packs were around $1500 here in Quebec City during the shop's clearance sale. To the OP, if you have tried both kits, you should be able to decide which one you prefer, and what price difference is going to pull you in one direction or the other (i.e. I liked this one less, so it would have to be that much less than the other kit).
    I got mine for $1599+$200 snare.
    | Pearl | Sabian | Evans | Pro-Mark |
    Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 16x16, 22x18, MPL Snare 14x5.5

OUTSIDE PICTURES 08/12/13!

I need a funny line to quote.

5. Chomp, Chomp

I don't understand. If you have to wait until after surgery, why are you looking at overnight shipping?

6. Crimson Luminosity!

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I don't understand. If you have to wait until after surgery, why are you looking at overnight shipping?
    That wasn't the OP Marv. Hostile Apostle will be a Master's Army member but not yet. The OP is PDPlayer.

Musiciansfriend.com has one for $1499.99 - up to $500.00 Valentines day code. The Code is on the sight. It didn't mention shipping and they wanted too much for the snare (though it's worth every penny at $274.00. Same discount would apply.
    Last edited by nova; 02-14-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", Sabians
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760 My Kit
    4 pc Export with JJ Sig Snare For Sale; PM me.
    MASTERS ARMY

7. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    That wasn't the OP Marv. Hostile Apostle will be a Master's Army member but not yet. The OP is PDPlayer.

Musiciansfriend.com has one for $1499.99 - up to $500.00 Valentines day code. The Code is on the sight. It didn't mention shipping and they wanted too much for the snare (though it's worth every penny at $274.00. Same discount would apply.
    Thank you kind sir. I am no longer confused. Conversations involving more than two people are often confusing for me. I think the OP should get the Pearl drums. There is absolutely nothing not to like. The quality is as good as it gets in drum making and the Masters' sound is consistent and classic. What more could anyone ask for in a drum kit? As for price, Pearl like many drum and cymbal companies has a mininnum allowed advertised price. Typically, Musician's Friend uses these prices. Other stores will do better on price if you call and ask. Musician's Friend does run deals and has free shipping.

8. Drummer From Toronto

Though I can't say I've played the Starclassic series, I know they're a very good set of drums. Well built and made with care. I have played on a few MCX's at the local drum shop in various environments and all I can is Wow. The bass drum on that kit is a beast, full and warm. The toms have a nice sing to them (Since they had the remo ambassador clear batter heads on them/ amb reso) and the floor tom growls without any distortion. $1900 seems like way too much for a 4-piece MCX kit, if you're in the US I highly reccommend checking out Musicians Friend, MidWest Percussion, guitar center, all those places. I personally love the MCX and maybe one day ill trade my BRX in for one, but find YOUR sound, go around to a few local shops and hit some. Though my only concern is that I too have toms in standard sizes (12 x 10, 13 x 11, 14 x 12 and 16x16), and to me, positioning the 12" and 13" toms are a bit of hassle since they're quite lengthy. Best wishes in whichever you pick!
    Pearl Masters Studio Birch Natural Finish
    Vic Firth 5A Hickory Drumsticks
    Sabian AAX/HHX Cymbals
    Aquarian Drumheads

9. Registered User

I have had both kits. I have played Tama almost all my life. When starclassics came out, I left Tama. I recently tried Tama again, a starclassic BB, and returned it within a week. I now own a masters MCX. Follow?
    TAMA DRUMS
    PAISTE CYMBALS

10. Registered User

You ask this question on a Pearl forum? What kind of answer do you expect. How about playing both of them and deciding which sounds better?

11. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    You ask this question on a Pearl forum? What kind of answer do you expect. How about playing both of them and deciding which sounds better?
    I would be willing to bet that the forum is packed with at least 50% of people if not more who play drums other than Pearl. Even if you don't like the answer, the fact of the matter is Pearl makes very well crafted drums so that is why you get the Pearl answer a lot, but I don't disagree with your idea of trying both and seeing what you like better.

12. Registered User

I think it would have to do with the sound you want. I own a Tama SCP B/B at this time. I've owned 3 Pearl Masters kit. There is a difference in maple compared to bubinga/birch. But if you are going for the best deal solely, I'd say the MCX.