Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. APC fanboy.

Default Sennheiser HD-201 vs HD-202

Hello!

I'm looking for opinions on these two pairs of headphones.

I need a pair of over-the-ear headphones for the click during band practice and for playing drums in general. (Also for listening music in general, but band practice will be their main mission.) Because I also wrestle more than I play drums right now, I dont want to buy a nice set of in-ears, just because there is a possibility of me getting cauliflower ear and because of that the in-ears might not fit anymore.

I've tried the HD-202's and the isolation was great! I could hear the band and the click equally well and I didnt need ear plugs or anything for added sound blockage.

Now, you might think that I should get the HD-202's then.

Problem - the price.

Around here, 202's cost 40 and 201's cost 26. For a student with a low budget, that's a price difference I will feel.

I've heard that the 201's are a bit worse in the isolation department, but how much worse, if anybody has had experience with both pairs?

Also, if you know any other headphone sets, which isolate as well as HD-202, let me know! But I'm warning you, Estonia = crap selection.

Tl;dr version: Sennheiser HD-202 vs HD-201 - which is better regarding isolation and bang for the buck?

Thanks.
    Martin.

My set.

2. Registered User

We have 202's all around the music department at my college. I've never tried the 201's, but the consensus on headphone forums seems to be that they don't fit as tightly on your head and thus don't isolate as well, and the 202's have a lot of bass and the 201's are more balanced, but the highs roll off sooner. Personally I'm not a fan of the 202's and I would look into the AKG K44's and K77's instead.

3. APC fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    We have 202's all around the music department at my college. I've never tried the 201's, but the consensus on headphone forums seems to be that they don't fit as tightly on your head and thus don't isolate as well, and the 202's have a lot of bass and the 201's are more balanced, but the highs roll off sooner. Personally I'm not a fan of the 202's and I would look into the AKG K44's and K77's instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Comparing them with the 202's, why do you prefer the AKGs, if you dont mind me asking? Better sound quality, fit, isolation?

EDIT: Isolation is my main concern, just sayin'.
    Last edited by Mookieh; 11-28-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Martin.

My set.

4. APC fanboy.

Just wanted to let y'all know, tried both the AKG K44 and AKG K77, got to try them at the music store with the drums, preferred the K77. Right now I think I made a pretty darn good choice.
    Martin.

My set.

5. Captain WTF.

If you wanted something slightly different, try the HD-465, i think it is. my friend has a pair, i tested some Beats out a week later and couldn't tell a single difference, but I'm not any sort of headphone connoisseur. but they are only €10-20 more than the headphones you have mentioned.

also, the 201s we have at our school, and they are okay. nothing special, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 (banned) View Post
    LOL, im not a mod so i cant do that. If he or anyone else gets banned its cause they broke the rules and Pearl saw fit to ban them..

6. boku wa kimi no vanilla

move up a step and look into the 212s.
    my drums | my music
    pearl | zildjian | evans | vater

why max staxes don't suck

one does not hit the drums, one makes love to them

7. Kawaii User

Invader Zim is AMAZING.

Just throwing that out there.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mookieh View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Comparing them with the 202's, why do you prefer the AKGs, if you dont mind me asking? Better sound quality, fit, isolation?

EDIT: Isolation is my main concern, just sayin'.
    Both AKG's fit fully over and around your ears, whereas with the 202's, unless you have baby ears, they will rest on top of your ears. The isolation is better, they're more comfortable and they both sound better IMO as well.

I'm glad you like the K77's! I've recorded drums using them many times and they work great.

9. Drumoholic

The HD201's have very, very little isolation. They definitely have a more balanced sound, but yeah there is almost no isolation at all, and they are pretty flimsy. I use mine for watching videos on my computer, but they are definitely NOT sound-isolating headphones. They also don't get very loud either, and I have extremely sensitive ears. Hope that helps!
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl Forum Series in Wine Red --For Sale, PM Me
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater