Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Simple, Effective Mounted Tom Isolation (new or retro)

Simple, Effective Mounted Tom Isolation (new or retro)
    If this is a re-post I'm sorry. I often think of things after someone else thought of it first.

A quick test for effective tom mounting (skip ahead if you already do this). Take your properly tuned tom with NO muffling and strike the drum with a stick. Listen to the fundamental pitch, the overtones, the richness of the resonance and the length of sustain for both the fundamental pitch and the harmonic overtones.

Now remove the tom from the mount. Hold the tom with your fingers by the rim. Hold the drum in relatively the same position (relative to your ears and the bass drum or where ever it was mounted). If the resonance increases and the fundamental pitch is stronger and if the fundamental pitch sustains longer and stronger than the overtones, you might need isolation mounts. So many tuning problems (people might use moon gel to cover up the overtones when the overtones should support the fundamental pitch IMHO) arise from poor (rigid) mounting.

You may need to do the test more than once.

Good isolation mounts bring out the best in resonance because they allow the shell to vibrate independently of the mount/stand/rack. DW and a new Yamaha system are separating the mount from the shell with rubber.

So I went to my local Custom Cycle Builder and bought rubber mounts that are used in motorcycles. This is a link to the ones I purchased (about $12 for four of them). http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s...chTerm=28-0546

It is a rubber cylinder one inch in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. There is a machine screw protruding from each end, although they do not go all of the way through, hence they are "springy". (1/4" 20 thread count.) They are called ISO-Rubber Mounting Studs.

I mounted four of them to the tom shell and then connected the tom mount hardware to them. I did two toms. They sing as well mounted as they do when I hold the rim with my fingers. As good as any Gauger Rim Mount and I will have an easy time changing heads. You can add the iso studs to an old kit or a new one.

Given that this is just an experiment I can't say how they will hold up. The sheer rating for similar items is about 9 pounds (times 4). I have them in ny drum room but I will be gigging them this Saturday so I'll let you know how they sound next week.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

Want a Ludwig Acrolite ? PM me.

2. Moshpit machine

same here
    Under the sign of D-beat

3. Drum Fluff

If you mount your pearl tom arms as far as they'll reach, adds a lot of tone / resonance.
    Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia Cymbals www.cymbalvault.com.au

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nickd View Post
    If you mount your pearl tom arms as far as they'll reach, adds a lot of tone / resonance.
    You're right. That's true of most all mounts. But if you do the test and find it unequal between the mount and hold the drum by the rim, it could be better.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    I would love to see pics.
    I haven't taken any yet but will do so ASAP.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

6. Registered User

Name:  Nov 8 2011 020.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  64.2 KB

Here's one of a few pics I took.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

7. Abomination of desolation

Looks like your edition of yamaha's YESS system. Nice try. Any video?
    Beneath a summer sky
    Under glass moonlight
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival
    Liquid shadows crawl
    Silver teardrops fall
    The bride subsides to her survival

Ref Crystal Rain Army!!!

8. Moshpit machine

LOL, a DIY YESS system That's a brilliant idea, i must admit. And i see no reason for it to not last long.
    Under the sign of D-beat

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by beermaniac View Post
    LOL, a DIY YESS system That's a brilliant idea, i must admit. And i see no reason for it to not last long.
    I should point out that this is just an experiment and not necessarily something I'm promoting. For $12 anyone can try it. I just thought I'd share it with you.

I have a Yamaha kit (as well as an old Ludwig kit and a kit that I built) and this (pic) has been mounted on the Yamaha (onto the two tines) and it is superior to the standard Yess mount. I've compared various mounts I've developed and had other drummers and musicians listen and give me their opinions. They all heard an improvement.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

10. Drum Fluff

Theres a thread I made a while back where I had an idea of trying to modify an ISS mount using poly pushing to give more resonance, I don't see how this wouldnt work on a pearl ISS either.

11. Drum Fluff

if you put a big washer on either side of the bracket, I reakon it'd stop the sagging a little better.