Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. User Registered

Default Interface with pro tools 9

Hi all got a simple question. I have pro tools 9 on my mac book pro. i have a average brehinger mixer and im wanting to connect it with pro tools, the mixer came with a small outboard usb interface and im unsure if it will work or not, if you know that it will work, how do you go about setting it up?

Thanks All

WANTED - ROLAND SPD or equivalent - MAPEX SATURN 10"x8" TOM red cherry sparkle. pm me

2. Registered User

How about telling us exactly which mixer and interface you have?

3. Gumbercules

ProTools requires an Avid/M-Audio interface. This includes the Digi001/002/003, Mbox family, I THINK (not sure) there is a couple of Focusrite products, and that's mostly it. Unless they changed something in 9 I am unaware of, you cannot use any non-Avid approved products.

4. Registered User

Gord, with PT9 and 10 you no longer are obligated to run Avid/Digidesign/M-Audio interfaces, you can use anything you want. However, if you already have M-Powered PT8, upgrading to PT9 MP will be much cheaper, as is buying PT9 MP separately, but it has limitations compared to the regular PT9. So the only reason there is PT9 MP is to create different price points. But if you have an M-Audio FastTrack or something, you can now run regular protools 9 with it if you'd like.

5. Gumbercules

So Avid did buy Digidesign and say "WTF are you doing?" and fix'd it.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    So Avid did buy Digidesign and say "WTF are you doing?" and fix'd it.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT. Head over to the DUC and you'll see MANY PEOPLE are seriously pissed off with Avid right now....

including their own staff.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Avi...scending=false
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

7. Registered User

When PT9 was released a lot of folks saw it as a step forward. However, the new HDX systems obligate you to run one of their new HD interfaces such as the Omni, I/O or MADI, so folks who are currently running PT HD systems with 3rd party interfaces are fuming. Avid is getting a lot of hate from the Professional Audio world right now.

I for one didn't mind Digi's model of using both their hardware and software. Most of their interfaces ran PT very smoothly and it made for a very reliable system. And if something did go wrong, you wouldn't go on a wild witch hunt with customer service, where your 3rd party hardware company tells you it's a software problem and referrs you to Avid and Avid then insists it's the hardware and tells you to call the other company. You just call Avid and they know exactly what to do and take care of you.

8. Gumbercules

I just couldn't understand the forced compatability. It would be easy for them not to force compatability and only support their own software/hardware, accompanied by a warning of mixing hardware/software. They just didn't, which made no sense and limited their customer base. I understand the trouble shooting thing, but most people will tell you that if software is optimised for hardware... use the recommended hardware. That is just common sense. (I know the general public doesn't have it.... but still.) As a power-user, you would then diagnose issues yourself if using mixed hardware/software.

The pro-audio world is different. I haven't seen Avid put out anything worthy of note in a good long time. Even the upgrades in software have been lackluster. I have seen no reason to use anything over PT7, except that PT9 would allow you to use other hardware at the consumer level... that's about it. Elastic time can kiss the fattest part of my butt.

As for how Avid runs it's company.... well that is a different issue altogether. They are chasing a bigger market segment in the consumer side right now, and I hate to say it but that IS the way the industry is heading. I can't blame them for looking farther ahead than most of their employees.

9. User Registered

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    How about telling us exactly which mixer and interface you have?
    The mixer is a behringer xenyn 1222fx and the interface is called behringer u-control uca200. it came with the mixer.
    Thanks

WANTED - ROLAND SPD or equivalent - MAPEX SATURN 10"x8" TOM red cherry sparkle. pm me

10. Registered User

So you connect the CD/Tape outputs of the board to the inputs on the interface with RCA cables. Don't expect a great sound though with that cheap interface. Getting an interface with XLR inputs (and one that's not made by Behringer...) would improve the sound vastly.

11. User Registered

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    So you connect the CD/Tape outputs of the board to the inputs on the interface with RCA cables. Don't expect a great sound though with that cheap interface. Getting an interface with XLR inputs (and one that's not made by Behringer...) would improve the sound vastly.
    Yea thats right. I know its not going to be good quality, its only for rough demos so im not too fussed about quality at this stage. I can get the interface to register in the computer fine, im just not sure of the i/o settings in pro tools or how to get pro tools to recognize it.