Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Futile

Default Traditional and Match Grip

I had this slightly heated conversation with a 16 y/o on my Facebook wall (well Jay Postone from Tesseracts wall). About match and trad. What are your guys thoughts? My name in this thread is Dean Thomson btw.

Code:
    How much is too much drumming? I guess when all of your fingers feel like they're bruised? Nah, apparently not
    Unlike · · Yesterday at 06:12 via Mobile · Privacy:

You and 15 others like this.
            Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis I've gone until my hands/fingers had pretty much all the skin ripped off.
            Yesterday at 06:13 · Like

Jamie Postones Clever! Gaffa tape does the trick dude
            Yesterday at 06:16 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis Tape is for *******!
            Yesterday at 06:18 · Like

Pj O'Connell Travis Barker uses super glue. Because thats clever.
            Yesterday at 06:19 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis At least you wont drop your sticks?
            Yesterday at 06:24 · Like · 1 person

Pj O'Connell Super glue for closing wounds though? ewh.
            Yesterday at 06:25 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis Guess its the closest to medical glue he could get :P
            Yesterday at 06:26 · Like

André Moya use semen , that'll do the trick for ya
            Yesterday at 06:36 · Like

Sohaib Syed wouldn't superglue be dangerous to use on the fingers no? lol
            Yesterday at 06:40 · Like

Rich Kendall Super glue was developed in the vietnam war, purely for that reason. Just a pointless bit of information for y'all. How's **** Jay? Lookin forward to catch up with you when your back in Wolves!
            Yesterday at 07:51 · Like

Jodey Watchorn ****in champ
            Yesterday at 08:27 · Like

Dean Thomson I bruise my left thumb occasionally from drumming at high volumes. That's traditional grip for you
            Yesterday at 08:30 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis Learn match, makes life a hell of a lot easier!
            Yesterday at 08:35 · Like

Dean Thomson Haha I'm happy playing trad. My muscles are developed for trad. I'm awful at match grip
            Yesterday at 08:36 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis For the first two years of playing my teacher taught me traditional.. I saw people playing match and thought "What the **** am I doing?" played match ever since.
            Yesterday at 08:39 · Like · 1 person

Sohaib Syed i've always been playing matched grip myself. Its the job!
            Yesterday at 08:46 · Like

Dean Thomson ‎@Xi'an: Understandable, a choice I made. And a lost art. I play match occasionally when I know the song suits its more :)
            Yesterday at 09:26 · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis A lost art yeah, but a fairly useless one unless you still play with your snare 20 miles to your left.
            18 hours ago · Like

Dean Thomson You seem so against traditional grip. Haha
            18 hours ago · Like

Xi'an 'Xianaynay' Lewis Whilst it makes you look that little bit cooler, I think it's slightly pointless. Fair enough if it's the only way you know how to play, but I notice I play a load better when I play match, being taught both also taught me pros/cons of each. When I look at those it's just match all the way :P
            17 hours ago · Like

Sohaib Syed its all about preference really
            14 hours ago · Like

Dean Thomson I agree Sohaid. It all depends on personal preference. I don't play traditional grip because it looks "cool". It is just the way I prefer to play. Nothing bad about it just the way one specific person plays. Just like Virgil Donati, Steve Smith, Jojo Mayer and a million other guys.
            3 minutes ago · Like

Dean Thomson I've been playing traditional grip for a good part of seventeen years. I admire lots of match grip players. But there shouldn't be such a pretence against one specific grip.
            about a minute ago · Like
    Video tour of my Tama set
    Proudly endorse Australian Drum Supply - Authorised dealer of TRX Cymbals and Corsair Drumsticks

2. rooftop vigilante

I think this vindicates my hatred of Facebook.

3. Futile

Haha. Very good point.
    Video tour of my Tama set
    Proudly endorse Australian Drum Supply - Authorised dealer of TRX Cymbals and Corsair Drumsticks

4. In God We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    I think this vindicates my hatred of Facebook.
    This.

5. Registered User

6. Registered User

Cymbal sounds, head choices, pedal adjustments, head tension, grip... it's all a matter of preference. I try matched grip sometimes, but it feels unnatural to me. I always play matched grip, just because i'm used to it. Everything has pro's and cons. Except when you're Chuck Norris, then everything has pro's.
    Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x6.5 Limited Edition Kapur snare drum
    More recent pictures of my set

My electronic kit (Alesis DM10 Studio)
    My old kit kit

My limited edition kapur snare drum

7. Registered User

I play traditional grip. I couldn't play matched grip if I had to. It's the way I was taught. But there is nothing wrong with matched grip. Usually people who tried and failed at traditional grip don't do it correctly and fail at power and double (1/32 note) double strokes. Interestingly Weckle, Danati and Lang (among many others) all hold there left hand / stick the same way. And it delivers all the power and control one needs.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

Want a Ludwig Acrolite ? PM me.

8. 4 on the floor!

I've played matched forever. I've tried traditional a couple times but due to the fact that I lead with my left, it seems more of a pain in the butt than someone who leads with their right. Enough of a pain in the butt that I have no desire to change my drumming to allow myself to look cooler. If it aint broke, dont fix.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    For Sale: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride. Inquire within.
    Perfect Balance Pedal for sale!

'99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

9. Registered User

I play both, it just depends on what I'm playing.
    Check out my studio project - Elephant In the Room

Also selling an 18" Meinl Soundcaster Fusion china PM for more info

10. 'god' free

I don't personally understand traditional grip myself. It seems totally outdated and when I've tried to learn it, it's awkward as hell. There aren't any apparent benefits to using it either, that I can tell anyway. A relic of the past. We all know what happened to good 'ol Triceratops in his dotage. Insert further generic Peddlin-esque nonsense here.
    Quote Originally Posted by exordium View Post
    dolla dolla bill y'all

Less, by simple definition, cannot be more. Seriously. Check the ****ing dictionary.

11. Gumbercules

I play traditional grip all the time. I'm trying to work on my matched grip because I haven't bothered with it since I'd first started drumming, but it just isn't quite where the traditional grip is.

I think Jojo Mayer had the best answer to why people play traditional grip, but I won't quote because I can't watch the video right now (I won't misquote).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which way you play. Jojo Mayer has shown that you can play incredibly fast in traditional grip, fast enough for just about anything. But the reality is matched grip does end up being faster (see Mike Mangini).

Then the question becomes do you need to play that fast?

The answer is to learn to play both proficiently and then make a decision. I know a lot of people would see me set up to play in a metal band and then hold my sticks traditional grip and they would roll their eyes. 2 bars into the first song they realised that there is no difference between grips if you know how to play properly.

One of my current goals is to retrain my left hand in matched grip, because it will help me play traditional grip better.

12. 1 E&A 2 E&A

Its all a preference thing imo. There are schools of thought of both sides that argue different points. Personally I like both grips although I find myself using matched most of the time, mostly because I use my left hand just as much as the right (partially open-handed) and I find matched more balanced.