Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. uhn tiss uhn tiss...

Default Stands for overhead mics?

Just wondering what the people in the know are using as stands for their overhead mics. I need some just for a small home setup - no gigging. I'm not looking to get a stereo mic bar, so I'll need two stands. I'm assuming they cost less than a quality cymbal stand so nothing too expensive if possible. Any suggestions?

2. Registered User

You don't need to spend twice as much for K&H stands when you can get yorkvilles that'll do the same job, even if you're hanging some heavy LDCs. The one thing with mic stands that differs from cymbal stands is that you do not need to, and should not over tighten them.

3. Registered User

At home regular cheap boom stands are just fine. If you have particularly heavy mics, you can use some small sandbags or something to weight down the feet for extra stability. In a nice studio it makes more sense to have nicer, heavier booms.

Use them like you would a cymbal boom stand: get the base in as close as you can to where you want the mic, so you don't have to have the mic so far out from the base with the boom arm all the way out. And position one leg under the mic etc...

4. I <3 Miss Pearl

5. uhn tiss uhn tiss...

Thanks for the help guys - These were the ones I was looking at:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMS-Tripo...item23092df995

The ones suggested by 44Ronin look quite similar though so I'm wondering what the difference is between the two for an extra $11.
    I don't believe what I'm using are particularly heavy (then again I don't really know what a 'heavy' mic is) - I'm going to be using two AT2035s.

Cheers!

6. I <3 Miss Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by DrummaDan View Post
    Thanks for the help guys - These were the ones I was looking at:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMS-Tripo...item23092df995

The ones suggested by 44Ronin look quite similar though so I'm wondering what the difference is between the two for an extra $11.
    I don't believe what I'm using are particularly heavy (then again I don't really know what a 'heavy' mic is) - I'm going to be using two AT2035s.

Cheers!
    Looks like the one you've posted has chrome plating

7. uhn tiss uhn tiss...

Yeah - but the thing is you can specify whether you want chrome or black to the seller. So possibly there is something else in the build quality that is different.

8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    At home regular cheap boom stands are just fine. If you have particularly heavy mics, you can use some small sandbags or something to weight down the feet for extra stability. In a nice studio it makes more sense to have nicer, heavier booms.
    This. Most music chain stores have deals on cheap boom stands that will work fine for home use.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

9. uhn tiss uhn tiss...

Ok thats great - I wasn't looking forward to spending loads of money on stands after buying mics, cables, a computer, interface etc. haha! Thanks all.