Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Used Market Mod

Default whats the difference between Tama superstars and silverstars?

the only thing i see different is that the silverstars have a bass drum mount and superstars dont.
    and superstars have hyperdrive toms.
    so why are superstars $200 more?
    they require less wood and no bass mount hardware. lol
    My Premier Artist Birch

My Yamaha Beech Customs

For Sale: Paiste Dark Energy Bottom Hat. (local only, SoCal)

2. ginga please?

superstars have die-cast rims, while the silverstars i believe have flanged. the mounting hardware also differs slightly smaller, and look slightly cheaper to the starcast mounts on the superstars.
    Tama Superstar Custom in Amber Fade -- Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in White Marine Nitron -- Zildjian & Sabian Cymbals

-- The O-Zone Riders -- The Groove Riders --

3. Registered User

The Superstars are just nicer drums. The shells are of higher quality (not all "birch" is created equal) and like twister12 mentioned they also have better hardware like die-cast hoops and the Star-cast mounting system found on Tama's Starclassic series drums.
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
    1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
    1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FiliptheNickel View Post
    and the Star-cast mounting system found on Tama's Starclassic series drums.
    More specifically the older black ones that the Performers had, not the nicer new ones that the Starclassic B/B, Maple and Bubinga kits now have.

After looking through Tama's website, it seems like the Silverstar is filling in the gap between their Superstar intermediate-level kits and the Imperialstar entry-level kits. Together with the Swingstar at the very bottom it's very comparable to Sonor's Force series lineup, with the 300x, 200x, 100x and 50x kits.

5. Registered Musician

The Superstars are just nicer drums. The shells are of higher quality (not all "birch" is created equal) and like twister12 mentioned they also have better hardware like die-cast hoops and the Star-cast mounting system found on Tama's Starclassic series drums.
    Probably personal preference, but that's an incorrect statement.

The Silverstars are slowly phasing out the Superstars. Notice that only the Superstar Hyper-Drive is remaining (due to high popularity & sales), yet there are no more Superstar Accel-Drive kits anymore. That's because they're being replaced by the Silverstar.

Shell-wise, there is no difference. Both have the same high-quality birch shell with excellent bearing edges & construction.

In terms of hardware, the Silverstar comes better equipped, in my opinion.

- For one, The Silverstar comes with single-piece lugs, compared with the one-piece lugs carried over from the old Rockstars (out with the old, in with the new ).
    - Diecast hoops doesn't always equal high-end, and on the Superstars it held back the potential of the drums. Using triple-flanged hoops (Silverstar) allows for the drums to open up & sing, without any extra control on tuning (as if a birch shell needs any more control.
    - The Silverstar's mounting system is a touted-up RIMS mount (the "Star Mount," compared to the older "Star-Cast" mount on the Superstar), but it works better because it's not nearly as obtrusive as the older unit. Plus, the Silverstar comes with the same sliding tom mount used on the higher end Starclassic Performer B/B. The Superstar still has the older Omni-Ball mount.

Guaranteed, the Superstar Hyper-Drive will be phased out & replaced with a Silverstar variant in a year or so. It's only a matter of time.

To me, the Silverstar builds upon what made the Superstar kit so good, and then just outdoes it inan every other area. It's a better-looking, better sounding, higher quality kit now than its predecessor IMO.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    More specifically the older black ones that the Performers had, not the nicer new ones that the Starclassic B/B, Maple and Bubinga kits now have.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonedrumcam View Post
    Probably personal preference, but that's an incorrect statement.

In terms of hardware, the Silverstar comes better equipped, in my opinion.

To me, the Silverstar builds upon what made the Superstar kit so good, and then just outdoes it inan every other area. It's a better-looking, better sounding, higher quality kit now than its predecessor IMO.
    In the drum world everything is subjective to some extent, however the shells are absolutely different. Sure they're both birch but as I mentioned before not all birch is created equal. I do have experience setting up, playing, and hearing both of these drumkits and it's immediately apparent the Superstars are a better instrument.
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16

7. Registered Musician

In the drum world everything is subjective to some extent, however the shells are absolutely different.
    First part, true. Second part, I've been there, done that as well. I work in a music store & have set up, tuned, & played both kits. I've yielded different results, but I guess that the variance between drum products. The Silverstars sounded more consistent and had a better tuning range, while the Superstars had a more focused sound but smaller tuning range and more inconsistent character between the drums. The Silverstars were a breeze to tune, where the Superstars had a few sweets spots throughout the drums. I guess experience differs, but that's my insight. I base the troubled tuning on the die-cast rims, considering I've had similar problems with a few Gretsch Renowns in the past.

Sure they're both birch but as I mentioned before not all birch is created equal. I do have experience setting up, playing, and hearing both of these drumkits and it's immediately apparent the Superstars are a better instrument.
    By which qualities? Wood grain? I beg to differ. I've seen it & examined it as the same birch that Tama put in the early Starclassic Performers. Same grain, same color & tint, same, if not similar, sound & character IMO.

Certainly can't be the diecasts rims. Diecast =/= high-end or better all the time. That's a myth & quite a big one to dispel, considering it's spread like wildfire. Diecasts sharpen the articulation of a drum & hold a the drum's tuning, but it severely limits a drums tuning range.

8. Used Market Mod

you think if i changed my superstar hoops to some triple flanged ones that i'd get a better sound?
    My Premier Artist Birch

My Yamaha Beech Customs

9. Registered Musician

Quote Originally Posted by xJcx View Post
    you think if i changed my superstar hoops to some triple flanged ones that i'd get a better sound?
    Depends on the sound you want. With the Diecasts, you'll get a sharper, more focused tone. With triple-flanged hoops, the tone will open up a bit more, lending to a much more "full" sounding drum. Also, with triple-flanged hoops, you'll have a much larger tuning range. Diecast holds tunings wel, but it doesn't allow for the full tuning potential of a drum to be reached.

In other words, diecast hoops are great if you want a very sharp, focused tone, character, and sound from your drum(s). If you want more open, do triple-flanged.

In my opinion, try looking for some Pearl SuperHoops or Gibraltar PowerHoops to get started.

10. Drum Fluff

I still don't get why people insist hard on having diecast hoops. They're good yes, but a 2.3mm hoop theoretically is superior in terms of strength and flexibility
    Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia Cymbals www.cymbalvault.com.au

11. Registered User

The Silverstars sounded more consistent and had a better tuning range, while the Superstars had a more focused sound but smaller tuning range and more inconsistent character between the drums. The Silverstars were a breeze to tune, where the Superstars had a few sweets spots throughout the drums. I guess experience differs, but that's my insight. I base the troubled tuning on the die-cast rims, considering I've had similar problems with a few Gretsch Renowns in the past.
    I didn't have a problem tuning either of them. The Silverstars just sounded bland to my ear compared to the Superstars and that's what I base my opinion on.

By which qualities? Wood grain? I beg to differ.
    Sound and tone, mostly. Tama even markets the Silverstar shells differently than the Superstar shells.

Certainly can't be the diecasts rims. Diecast =/= high-end or better all the time. That's a myth & quite a big one to dispel, considering it's spread like wildfire.
    Reading back I did word my post poorly; I was trying to say that the hoops on the Superstars are of higher quality than the ones on the Silverstars, and the way I worded it implied that it was because the Superstars used die-cast hoops. The point I wanted to get at was that the Silverstars use 1.6mm hoops as opposed to Tama's 2.3mm hoops. And has that myth really such a big problem? I wasn't aware.

Quote Originally Posted by xJcx View Post
    Better is subjective. Different? Absolutely. Hoop changes aren't exactly cheap though, especially with the Superstars since you'd have to find a new way to mount your toms because the mounts are attached to the hoops themselves.

12. Used Market Mod

Better is subjective. Different? Absolutely. Hoop changes aren't exactly cheap though, especially with the Superstars since you'd have to find a new way to mount your toms because the mounts are attached to the hoops themselves.
    yea i know.
    i prefer the diecast hoops anyways. i like my toms more focused than open.
    My Premier Artist Birch

My Yamaha Beech Customs