Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Tama starclassic B/B performer v.s. Pearl Masters mcx

I need an experienced opinion on deciding which kit to buy between these two? The performer comes out in with a 10", 12", 14" floortom and 16" floortom. the pearl comes with a 10", 12" and 16" floortom. the two kits are roughly the same price. will tama be a better bet??

2. Chomp, Chomp

I don't know where you get your prices from. A Tama B/B with two floor toms is about $500 more than a B/B with one floor tom. Basically, a four piece Pearl MCX and a four piece Tama B/B are about the same price. But if you can get a five piece Tama for the price of a four piece Pearl, get it.

3. Registered User

Hey, they're both really good kits man. The low toms and kick on the B/B will put out a little more low end and be a bit more punchy but the MCX will be a more consistent, all around kit. I'd almost say the MCX will be more predictable in sound and the B/B will be more adventurous/untypical lol. I've played on both and really like the sounds of both.
    Daniel W.
    Romans 8

4. Registered User

Here's my advice - figure out what kits fit within your budget, then go play each one and select the one that sounds the best to you. More drums does not mean better drums. One brand isn't objectively better than the other; they both make very durable, versatile kits that meet a wide variety of playing styles. Figure out which kit fits your style.

5. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by drummerfluff View Post
    Here's my advice - figure out what kits fit within your budget, then go play each one and select the one that sounds the best to you. More drums does not mean better drums. One brand isn't objectively better than the other; they both make very durable, versatile kits that meet a wide variety of playing styles. Figure out which kit fits your style.
    Perfectly stated!!!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummerfluff View Post

Agreed. And if you're still not sure, then consider things like warranty, access to parts and customer service. Actually, those should really be considered first. Good luck!

7. Registered User

I love my Tama Starclassic Performer B/Bs. In my opinion they are the best sounding drums in the world, simply because the sound qualities are exactly what I look for in a drum. Namely these sound qualities are extreme deep tone, that is crystal clear and punchy at the same time. I do warn you though, this kit isn't for everyone, it is a very unique sounding kit that not everyone will like. If you want a more generic, 'prettier' sounding drum go for the MCX.
    Tama Starclassic Performer B/B Galaxy Blue Sparkle Fade with Black Nickel Hardware
    Pearl ELX Ruby FadeSOLD!

8. Registered User

i played on a reference, masters mcx, starclassic maple, starclassic B/B performer and a starclassic bubinga this weekend and out of all those kits the starclassic bubinga sounded the best to me. allthough i don't like tama at all i think im going for the starclassic bubinga becouse of its amazing sound.

9. A Passion Play ...

Quote Originally Posted by jaehyun89 View Post
    I love my Tama Starclassic Performer B/Bs. In my opinion they are the best sounding drums in the world, simply because the sound qualities are exactly what I look for in a drum. Namely these sound qualities are extreme deep tone, that is crystal clear and punchy at the same time. I do warn you though, this kit isn't for everyone, it is a very unique sounding kit that not everyone will like. If you want a more generic, 'prettier' sounding drum go for the MCX.
    I am quite happy with my pretty and generic kit ....
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Icon 501. Masters MCX Chestnut Fade
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am quite happy with my pretty and generic kit ....
    As am I.
    Jim
    Masters MCA Ruby Black Burst
    Sessions DX Customised
    Roland TD3

Sessions Squadron
    Masters Army
    O.L.D club

11. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by jgregory View Post
    As am I.
    As am I.

12. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by jaehyun89 View Post
    I do warn you though, this kit isn't for everyone, it is a very unique sounding kit that not everyone will like.
    You are right about this. The sound is very unique, the music store I go to always has one and I always retry the kit, but can never seem to fall in love with the sound. However, I have heard some recordings with it and they sounded great.

Also, not sure what you mean by the MCX souding "generic". That is hardly the adjective I would give it. I would say that it's sound is much more appealing to the masses and very consistent, but I wouldn't call it generic. The MCX is a pro level kit without question. A CB 700, Dixon, or Sound Percussion kit is what I would call generic in every way (i.e. sound, finish work, overall quality etc...).