Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

The Export lugs certainly look fine to me.

I have some Session lugs on my 10" Custom Z tom since it had been cut down by a prior owner. I am looking for six 1 piece lugs from a 14x8 snare to put on there in hopes that the length would be okay without having to drill holes.
    Pearl Custom Z 10-12-13-16, 24, 18
    DW Collectors 10-12-14-22
    Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22
    68 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16;
    WFL/Ludwig WMP 22-13-16; 14
    80's Gretsch 14-18-24
    WANTED: Custom Z 8", 14" toms; FOR SALE: Ludwig Blue Marble 12-13-16-16-18-22; Vistalite 13-14-15-16-18-24

2. Registered User

...welcome to the club! They do break all the time - and there are several reasons for it: first they are made of very poor material (this is what we can't change), but second they often break because of the screws being too short - if you measure on your set, you'll see that the screws end exactly at the most vulnerable point in the casing of the lugs - all the forces concentrate in that one point and the breaking is programmed. So - if you can - use longer screws! The third reason is overtightening of the screws - they are not meant to be tightened too much. If you do so, you can count the days (weeeks, months...) until they break.

I replaced all the long lugs on my MLX with Masters lugs, which was not only expensive - they now look like old Masters... the good part is, that I have now a good bunch of spares for my BLX - also the rare sizes like 8" shell-depth.

The lugs from 10" deep shells and 11" deep shells are the same!

3. The Hardware Guy

Hey Oliver - long time no speak!
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2

4. <3 vintage drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    ...welcome to the club! They do break all the time - and there are several reasons for it: first they are made of very poor material (this is what we can't change), but second they often break because of the screws being too short - if you measure on your set, you'll see that the screws end exactly at the most vulnerable point in the casing of the lugs - all the forces concentrate in that one point and the breaking is programmed. So - if you can - use longer screws! The third reason is overtightening of the screws - they are not meant to be tightened too much. If you do so, you can count the days (weeeks, months...) until they break.

I replaced all the long lugs on my MLX with Masters lugs, which was not only expensive - they now look like old Masters... the good part is, that I have now a good bunch of spares for my BLX - also the rare sizes like 8" shell-depth.

The lugs from 10" deep shells and 11" deep shells are the same!
    nice. My concern is that I'm selling my BLX kit, and I don't want to invest more money into something I'm selling. does anyone know for sure if long export lugs at the same depth will fit BLX drums?

5. Registered User

I know for sure, because I've got an MLX tom with two Export lugs on it.

6. <3 vintage drums!

Quote Originally Posted by dmenace View Post
    I know for sure, because I've got an MLX tom with two Export lugs on it.
    good to know- I did some measurements and bid on some lugs that'll fit. I've gotta wait for two packages of lugs, but when I get'm I'll post pics. the ones I cleaned up look awesome already- white and chrome is a beautiful combo. the lacquor has even kept its color after all these years.

7. Former BLX owner

Thumbs down

I may get flamed for this, but I think the whole situation here is terrible.

I think Pearl's customer service is excellent (especially Gene), but on this matter they scored an epic failure. I concede that the oldest examples of these drums are now 24 years old but this metal fatigue has been an issue for at least 10 years.

How old is your B/MLX? I bought mine new in 1995 and had a lug break in 2005. 10 years for the fittings on professional level drums?!!??!! Come on!

My drums are close to "as new" condition, have always been kept in an even temperature environment and the drum in question (my 16" floor tom) was the least used of my kit; I'd quite literally used it no more than 10 times!

Don't forget, these kits weren't cheap... they were professional sets.

Whilst Pearl may think it helpful that Masters lugs (and others) fit the hole spacing, it's a cop out because the replacement work costs at least what the kit's worth!

To not offer a massive discount in the face of this embarrassing design fault on an exchange basis (send your broken lugs to Pearl and they sell you Masters lugs at a discounted price) is like a slap in the face. An alternative and still appropriate course of action would be to give the casting moulds for these lugs to another company and subsidise their production. I can't imagine any of this happening, "sorry, these drums are up to 24 years old now".

Like others have said, this affected Custom Z drums too... even more expensive than MLX / BLX kits. And yet the supposedly cheaper 3-piece lookalike lugs on the Export kits of the same era soldier on valiantly!

If I'm wrong on any of this then please, by all means, correct me.

Chris
    Last edited by chrisp; 05-23-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Mapex Saturn in Antique Ivory; 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18 | Pearl Hardware
    Zildjian A Custom 8, 10, 15, 18; A Sweet Ride 21; 1960s A 18; K/Z 13 HHs | Paiste 16 China | Istanbul 12 Trash
    Some stuff I've done: http://www.myspace.com/thetimeproject | http://www.myspace.com/harbourlightsband

8. The Hardware Guy

You only hit your floor tom once a year?
    PICSPICS 2

9. Former BLX owner

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    You only hit your floor tom once a year?
    I used it very, very rarely and prefer mounted floor toms so I stopped using it. Not a case of not hitting it - it wasn't set up.

I use a 14x12 rack tom as my floor tom and nearly always have done.

The 16" came with the kit - it's now employed as a small bass drum... so I use it now but still very rarely. Hope that clarifies.
    Mapex Saturn in Antique Ivory; 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18 | Pearl Hardware
    Zildjian A Custom 8, 10, 15, 18; A Sweet Ride 21; 1960s A 18; K/Z 13 HHs | Paiste 16 China | Istanbul 12 Trash
    Some stuff I've done: http://www.myspace.com/thetimeproject | http://www.myspace.com/harbourlightsband

10. Some Internet Guy

I'd have to agree. It would be nice if enthusiasts like a lot of us on the forum could get third-party lugs that look the part of original Pearl long lugs, but are sturdier and not so prone to pitting. Part of the charm of those old kits is the look of the long lugs!

11. The Hardware Guy

Thing is, when I got my CZX, I had no idea there was a legacy of lug breakage on these era kits, and these lugs in particular. First thing I did when I got it home, even before playing it, was take each drum, remove the heads, lugs and tom holders and clean and polish the shells, and clean/de-pit each lug, the rims, tom holder and each tension rod, before reassembling (quite a job on nine drums!) and I had no problems. Guess I was lucky! Daren't take em apart again now tho - just in case!
    PICSPICS 2

12. At the Crossroads

I had several break on my MLX and replaced all the lugs with the Asian Pearl style,but it did change the look but I need durability as this is my gigging kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're not Groovin in the Pocket you're just makin noise!

Looking for a MLX 18 inch tom in liquid amber