Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Experienced Noob

Default Soundproofed Room Within A Room Project

At long last, I completed editing of the videos taken during the construction of a soundproofed room in my garage. I hired someone for the construction but was involved from start to finish with the design and materials selections. For the project, we went with a double walled, completely decoupled room within a room design.

My only goal was to minimize the sound levels making their way out of my house and into my surrounding neighbors’ houses. Where I live, the county code makes it illegal for any “musical or rhythmic” sound from one property to make its way into someone else’s house. Unfortunately, I had a neighbor that decided to take advantage of that ridiculous code and caused me nothing but headaches with noise complaints based on my drumming. So, I considered my various options and decided to build my drum room.

While I do some home recording, I focused on sound containment over acoustics within the room. Due to the acoustic treatments I put up the room actually sounds pretty nice but it is nowhere near optimal for a studio-type setting.

Anyway, here are links to the 3 videos covering the life of the project:

Part 1: This video starts from the beginning & goes up to the point that we were ready for insulation installation

Part 2: This video starts after the insulation was installed and goes up through the time we were ready to install the carpet.

Part 3: This video is of the finished product and includes explanations of how the acoustic treatments (sound absorbing panels and bass traps) were made as well as video of the sound levels inside of the room all the way to outside of my garage while I play. Please ignore the sound & quality of my playing – both were bad for this exercise.

I apologize for the 3 videos taking 22 minutes to watch & the lame editing job, but perfection/professionalism were not the point. I just wanted to thoroughly document the process and think there’s a lot of good information and ideas in the videos for people considering a similar project.

2. Just add beer

Looks good. I bet it gets toasty in there real quick.

3. My Concord Faded

Very nice job. Didnt even need the iPhony to tell it was a huge drop in sound. Through the wall though that Ref kick sounds like a cannon, in a good way
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

4. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by KyDrummer View Post
    Looks good. I bet it gets toasty in there real quick.
    So far that has not been a problem as it's been winter & the bigger issue has been lack of heat. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer for sure.

As you can tell from the video, there is no ventilation in the room. That was part of the design to try to eliminate ways for sound to leak out. If things become unbearable during warmer months, however, I have a ventilation plan in mind. I don't want to have to go there because, quite franky, it's a lot of work & more expense. Here's hoping I can deal with the heat later on.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    Very nice job. Didnt even need the iPhony to tell it was a huge drop in sound. Through the wall though that Ref kick sounds like a cannon, in a good way
    Thanks. I was really hoping the drums would sound approximately like they do in real life on the video but that clearly was not to be. I'd never tried to record the drums with my camcorder so I had no idea how raunchy they would sound. I'm glad you thought the kick sounded OK but regret not having a good recording to show off how great all the drums sound.

5. Experienced Noob

One thing I think did not get mentioned in the videos was what we did to protect against moisture coming in through the floor. Before we did any construction, we put down two coats of a product whose name escapes me at the moment. It's usually painted onto the sub floor before installing a tile floor in a bathroom. It comes pink out of the can & turns red as it dries. It is the reason the floor looks red in the early videos. For the carpet padding, we went with the kind that has a water barrier film on the underside. We did all this because the people that poured my garage floor did not first put down a water barrier so I get moisture coming up through the concrete. My goal was to prevent that from coming up though the carpet and into the room.

Just one more thing to think about if building in your garage...

6. Psychdrummer

Great job, thanks for posting.
    Tama Silverstar Jazz (18x14, 12x8, 14x14, 14x5), 12x7 Mapex Black Panther snare, Pearl M80 Snare, DW 10x5 Collector's Series tom
    Sabian & Zildjian cymbals, Tama Iron Cobra double belt drive pedal (For sale), DW5000 double pedal

7. Run Silent, Run Deep

Really interesting watch
    Motorboating.
    The placement of one's face, specifically the mouth, into the area between a well-endowed woman's breasts, followed by a rapid shaking of the face in a side-to-side motion accompanied by yelling. The resulting sound that is created sounds similar to an outboard boat motor.

8. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by PumaPhreak View Post
    Great job, thanks for posting.
    Thanks & you're welcome.

Are you seriously an Oregon fan in Tennessee? Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner Nick View Post
    Really interesting watch
    Thank you.

9. PDF Thread Killer Supreme

You should find a real decibel meter and take readings. The iPhone was showing around 40-50 outside at the end but I couldn't heard anything at all.
    Dutch: What happened to him?
    Vic: He came at me. He was unarmed. I took him down old school.
    Dutch: Old as in medieval?

The Shield

10. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Stoovey View Post
    You should find a real decibel meter and take readings. The iPhone was showing around 40-50 outside at the end but I couldn't heard anything at all.
    Thanks for checking out my video(s). One of these days I may get a real meter but I just wanted to finish up the videos rather than waiting for the always elusive "someday". For what itīs worth, by the time you get to the side of my house, any noise is pretty much just the ambient sound from my neighborhood and a highway thatīs about 3/4 mile away. There truly is next to no drum sound for the camera to pick up.

11. Registered User Daily

Awesome job! If you're going to do something do it right, and you did!!
    I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not correct to do. I don't believe in talk such as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings. All of the time.

My Kit: Pearl Chrome EX/Sabian HHX/Evans G2
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=199551

12. My Concord Faded

Quote Originally Posted by md4man View Post
    Thanks for checking out my video(s). One of these days I may get a real meter but I just wanted to finish up the videos rather than waiting for the always elusive "someday". For what itīs worth, by the time you get to the side of my house, any noise is pretty much just the ambient sound from my neighborhood and a highway thatīs about 3/4 mile away. There truly is next to no drum sound for the camera to pick up.
    Yea i was gonna say it was just ambient noise from the neighborhood, but you beat me to it
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)