Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Best Head for my 5x14 Reference Brass Snare

I just got my drum and was wondering what other 5x14 brass owners are using

2. Jordrök

It depends on what sound you are looking for. I don't know how similar/different the Reference Brass is from the Sensitone Elite Brass, but I've had both Coated Ambassador and Coated CS on my Sensitone, both with superb results! The Ambassador gives an open sound and has a very big tuning range, while the CS provides a more focused and thicker sound, though it in my opinion only sounds good at high tunings.
    The Coated Ambassador is known as the industry standard for snare batters, so I think you should start with that and see if you're happy. If not, consider what you don't like about it, and we'll be able to help you find a more suitable head.
    My Tama Starclassic Performer
    New pictures page 7!
    My Sonor 3007
    New pictures page 4!

3. Old Style

Yep I have a sensitone brass and have a Remo CS on it sounds good. I may try a Remo power stroke 3 or an Evans HD next head change.
    Pearl / Zildjian / Pro Mark

4. Registered User

Single ply enhances the warmth, and twin ply enhances it's brightness with brass. Just don't get heads that are too thick because they sound like ****e. I tend to use ambassador, G1 on the batter side of brass. I am a heavy hitter so i go for power center or cs coated. Coted emperor works fine too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskudlPuk9U here is an emperor on my brass snare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witz0W0GjA0 here is single ply also tuned rather low.

Yes i was playing sabian then.