Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a Cheater?

1. Registered User

Nothing wrong with that! If you like the sound you're getting, that's all that matters.
    Phattie Custom Drums:
    -Kick 24x24
    -Rack 10x7
    -Rack 12x8
    -Floor 14x12
    -Floor 16x14
    -Snare 13x6
    Session Drummer, Nashville, TN - Member of the Nashville Musicians Union, AFM Local 257

2. Registered User

that is alot of moongel!, but if you like it go for it !x
    Facebook.com/wearetara

3. Brandon

Hey guys, I am currently using Remo pinstripes on all my toms and a Coated Powerstroke 3 on the snare. I still have Protones as reso heads, however i ordered and currently have all new Remo Diplomat reso heads but i am putting off installing them until the summer when my drums come in the house. This is mainly because i dont want anything to happen to the new heads outside in the garage where there gonna experience pretty harsh elements. What are your views on that? Also, i am considering buying Coated Emporers for the batter side of my toms. Any other suggestions? I am definatley going to do coated heads and i would prefer to stick with Remo. Thanks!
    <----------Check Out My Drums!

4. For an Audience of 1

Hmm..maybe post up a video of how your set sounds with all those moongel? seems an awful lot..but hey if you can get what you want, why not??
    Pearl Forum
    My humble gear: Pearl CX-100 14" Hi-Hats, Paiste101 14" Crash, Sabian XS20 16" Medium Thin Crash, Zildjian ZHT 20" Medium Ride, TAMA ICs Dbl-Pdls, BOSS DB-90

In the Vault: PDP Maple 5.5"x14" Wood Hoops Snare

Yamaha DTXplorer ('06-'08), Pearl Rhythm Traveller ('08-'10)

5. ESPETACULAR NEYMAR

Quote Originally Posted by extrasmall757 View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently using Remo pinstripes on all my toms and a Coated Powerstroke 3 on the snare. I still have Protones as reso heads, however i ordered and currently have all new Remo Diplomat reso heads but i am putting off installing them until the summer when my drums come in the house. This is mainly because i dont want anything to happen to the new heads outside in the garage where there gonna experience pretty harsh elements. What are your views on that? Also, i am considering buying Coated Emporers for the batter side of my toms. Any other suggestions? I am definatley going to do coated heads and i would prefer to stick with Remo. Thanks!
    I assumed that you put all the moongel on to stifle the resonance... but you're putting diplomats on the resos? Diplomats are the thinnest heads (apart from snare side) that remo makes. This is going to give you more resonance. Correct me if I'm wrong about what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerCoat View Post
    Love the F Hole!

6. Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by LilWiz View Post
    I assumed that you put all the moongel on to stifle the resonance... but you're putting diplomats on the resos? Diplomats are the thinnest heads (apart from snare side) that remo makes. This is going to give you more resonance. Correct me if I'm wrong about what you want.
    I basically use all the moongels because the toms have these god awful overtones that make the whole set shake and rattle my snare like crazy. They still resonate a pretty decent amount and that doesnt bother me at all, its just when my snare starts rattling so bad i can hear it over the rest of the drums when i dont even hit it, i go crazy and thats when then the moongels come into play. I put so many on the snare because, i cant really explain it but it just sounds really bad if i dont.
    <----------Check Out My Drums!

7. Secret Agent 007.5

Sounds like you overtightened the heads. Otherwise you wouldnt get much more than a "THUD" when you hit your toms if they were tuned "properly" with all those moongels. I used Pinstripes with diplomats for years. The Pinstripe batters for less ringing and overtones and the Diplomats on the reso's to still get a good tone out of them. If their still "Ringing" your kit to death it sounds like their a lil more snug than than they should be.

All together it sounds like its all a tunning issue, most of your problems can be resolved with proper tuning technique's, including your snare. For instance, if I use 2 moongels on my snare it basically becomes a dead smack.....No ringing whatsoever, and I use a Remo Amb. which has quite a bit more ring than your PS3. So look up some drum tuning on youtube, Bob Gatzen is a good start, and see if that helps at all. Heres a link to get you started....

Snare Tuning.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BeJ01DME8

Reducing Snare Buzz..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6oD...eature=related
    Last edited by DrummerFlick; 03-18-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    Pearl
    MCX- Diamond Glitter 10,12,14,16,22 & 14x6.5 Natural Maple Snare

*FOR SALE* ~ Masterworks- Sapphire Blue 10,12,14,16,& 22

Zildjian
    K Light Hats, K Custom Session & Dark Crash, K Dark Medium Thin Crash, & K Ride

8. Registered User

All my drums are no muffling.Just the kick has a small pillow. Just fine tune the heads.If you can't find the sweet spot, loosen to where the lugs are just finger tight and start over. Be sure to cross loosen. I use Evans g2 sst on all toms and EC reverse dot on the snare(coated).

9. PDF's only Furry

Snares buzz...over time you'll come to love it. I find it makes my toms and kick sound better.
    Pearl | Yamaha | Evans | Pro-mark | Sabian | Sennheiser | Shure | Zoom
    #KYAAA DON'T TOUCH ME THERE

10. sdrawkcab

If u like the sound then its right, but i personally dont like using too much muffling or any at all cause u lose the sound of the drum itself. But each to their own, no such thing as cheating when it comes to tuning
    Wanna hear me drum? CLICK HERE >> http://www.youtube.com/user/Wade0Nixon?feature=mhee

11. Your trauma sponge

Quote Originally Posted by mutt_78 View Post
    i would retune them, or gewt new heads. but thats just me. i really don't like muffling unless i'm going for an entirely specific sound that's unattainable otherwise
    I assume then all of your drum heads are single-ply with no rings or anything whatsoever (no power dots, for example). Because that's all various types of muffling.
    Burn my body when I'm bloody dead.
    I don't want to be found with any of you.
    I won't be found with any of you.

My SONOR FORCE 3007s.

12. Used Market Mod

use remo ebonys if you really want a dead drum sound. (seeing you use so many moongels)
    My Premier Artist Birch

My Yamaha Beech Customs

For Sale: Paiste Dark Energy Bottom Hat. (local only, SoCal)