Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Tama Speed Cobra review

Hi

I was very lucky this year on my day of birth. My lady was kind enough to purchase me a brand spanking new Tama Speed Cobra pedal and not only that but also a new Ufip 18" rough series crash. Very lucky indeed.

I had the pedal at a practice today and thought i'd share my findings.

Firstly, what a great looking pedal, quite possibly the most elegant pedal i've come across. The design is flawless and aesthetically well worth the buy.

I set the pedal up firstly in factory settings. I played for aronud 30-45 mins and although the pedal performed great i felt it lacked in response somewhat. The pedal was slightly behind my foot on the doubles, in other words a little sluggish.

However ...

I preceeded to tighten the spring around 1-2 turns which did absolute wonders for the feel and response, and to be honest it was like nothing i had played before. I have tried everythnig from Axis to Tama, Pearl to Dw, Yamaha to Mapex i've had them all and i would be more than happy to say that the Speed cobra takes the biscuit. Unbelievable feel, so smooth with great response. Every new pedal designed always preaches smoothness, and to be fair they do a great job but nothing like the speed cobra, it is in a different league. The longer footboard gives for a much more comfortable feel underfoot, i fonud myself using less energy on each stroke. The recessed chain gives a great whipping motion towards the end of the stroke producing a powerful attack and the beater finishes with a precise thud. I opted to twist the beater to the flat surface, i found this gave a greater punch which is my desired sound. I didn't try the 'pointed edge' for too long as i instantly preferred the flat side. The 'cobra coil' i felt dhas quite a substantial effect on this pedal, it rebounds much quicker and obvioulsy helps with response, i feel without the coil this pedal may not perform as well. My IC was fitted with the cobra coil though i did not feel as much effect on that pedal as i have with the SC. The spring assembly is great, same as its older bother the Iron cobra, also the hoop attachment holds just fine. The lighter sprocket adds to the overal lighter feel of the pedal, and let me assure this pedal is much lighter than the iron cobra, though still manages to sustain weight in the stroke to give a satisfied feel.

Overall the pedal is very well built, again like the iron cobra it feels like it will last forever. The carry case is of good quality and holds the pedal comfortably. It's relatively lightweight to carry and will be fairly easy to keep clean and maintain.

I would recommend this pedal to everyone and look forward to using it in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Name:  DSCF1713.jpg
Views: 5994
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by wcfwdrmr; 03-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.

2. Registered User

I'm really interested in these pedals. I've never tried the cobra coils before, I think its a great idea! How do they change the feel of the pedals?

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lukesnyder View Post
    I'm really interested in these pedals. I've never tried the cobra coils before, I think its a great idea! How do they change the feel of the pedals?
    As i said in my post, when the IC was fitted with the cobra coil i didn't feel it had a huge effect on the performance, in fact i think it made the pedal feel slightly heavier underfoot and to much response (if thats even possibel! ) definitely a different feel to the older model though not vast. However with the SC i felt it was a different story. It's hard to explain unless your playing them, when pushing down on the pedal to create a stroke theres a feel underfoot that the pedal is pushing against your foot.

Bascally, the hype to me with pedal design these days is the feeling of the pedal always being 'stuck to your foot' and of every pedal i have tried the SC is the only pedal that has accomplished that feeling.

4. Registered User

So perhaps thats because the footboard on the Speed Cobras is lighter than the ICs or something?

5. Registered User

I'm note sure if the pedal board is actually lighter, there is greater mass as its a longer boards though the actually part i would say doesn't feel any 'lighter' its the design of the pedal, sprocket, recessed chain, longer board etc. that all contribute to the overal feel of the pedal.

6. BLACK DOGS

I went back to iron cobras recently, just before the speed cobra came out... I do like the iron, but a big part of me wishes id waited for the speed cobra to come out. I tried out lots of top end pedals when I bought the cobras, and did not care for axis or demon drives etc, 9000's were terrible imo...

Im scared to try them now in case I need to have them!
    BLACK DOGS FACEBOOK

7. kottonmouth king

seems like the cobra coil would only benefit a direct drive, whats the deal with it?

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

8. BLACK DOGS

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Brain View Post
    seems like the cobra coil would only benefit a direct drive, whats the deal with it?
    Fairly obvious dude, it pushes the board back up. I know what you are thinking...but its job isnt to reset the pedal to its resting position, because thats not what people do when playing quickly... or even 'regular'.

Most people leave some pressure on the board and the chain taught whilst playing between strokes.
    BLACK DOGS FACEBOOK

9. kottonmouth king

Quote Originally Posted by C4NTY View Post
    Fairly obvious dude, it pushes the board back up. I know what you are thinking...but its job isnt to reset the pedal to its resting position, because thats not what people do when playing quickly... or even 'regular'.

Most people leave some pressure on the board and the chain taught whilst playing between strokes.
    yeah if you wanted the pedal to "reset" a coil is the worst idea of them all as it has give to it and if anything would just boingy boingy it around. especially for me as i never barry my beater when i play, it hits and comes back, thats what i was trying to figure out. for players that dont keep the beater on the head how would it benefit them? i dont see it

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

10. BLACK DOGS

well maybe it wont benefit everyone, but it would vertainly benefit the majority of people.

I always 'bury' the beater... but do people actually let the pedal come 100% back to resting position? I can only imagine it being incredibly awkward
    BLACK DOGS FACEBOOK

11. Eat,Sleep,Dream,Drums.

the cobra coil is a very light spring and hardly negligible at all in my experience. besides it is adjustable. the Single pedals are fine. it is the wobble on the twin pedals slave side that i am mad at Tama about. they didn't fix it in the iron cobra's and now haven't fixed it on the speed-cobra. i returned my new twin speed-cobra immediately when wobble began on the slave side.
    DW Collector's Custom black finishply
    DW DD double coming soon
    Axis A21 Laser double pedal
    DW 7000HH stand and 7000 series cymbal boom stands
    Paiste Cymbals
    Pro-mark hickory 5AN

http://reverbnation.com/ricohorton

12. kottonmouth king

Quote Originally Posted by C4NTY View Post
    well maybe it wont benefit everyone, but it would vertainly benefit the majority of people.

I always 'bury' the beater... but do people actually let the pedal come 100% back to resting position? I can only imagine it being incredibly awkward
    well i dont know about one hundred percent haha, but maybe like 85-90. beats me