Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. PS4 Whore

Default WHAT HAPPENED to my Snare BED???????

I was replacing my snare wires on all my snare drums today, and realized that none of my snare drums have a snare bed...

What is going on?

Aren't they suppose to have snare beds?

What are the benefits of having snare beds?

I also heard some Mapex Saturn snares do not have these snare beds...

The snares I tried:

Yamaha MCAN snare
    Yamaha Tour Custom snare
    Yamaha Steel snare
    Pork Pie Little Squealer Steel snare
    Remo Steel snare
    Maple Custom AN (Midnight Sparkles) 4pcs
    Oak Custom (Red Oak) 5pcs
    Tour Custom (Red Black Sunburst) 5pcs
    Rock Tour (Textured Smoke Sunburst) 3pcs

DTX-500K

My Yamaha Drums --- Click HERE

2. Ew, is that a snake?

All of those snares have beds. They're just very shallow. If you set your Little Squealer on a table, then look at the base of it, you'll see a small indentation by the strainer and the butt. Less than a MM perhaps, but it's there.

3. PS4 Whore

Lol, I did not try to set it on a flat surface.

When I change my heads I just run my palm along the bearing edges, but can't really feel the bed...

Good to know that the beds are there.

Thanks BarJack.
    Maple Custom AN (Midnight Sparkles) 4pcs
    Oak Custom (Red Oak) 5pcs
    Tour Custom (Red Black Sunburst) 5pcs
    Rock Tour (Textured Smoke Sunburst) 3pcs

DTX-500K

My Yamaha Drums --- Click HERE

4. Registered User

Its not even that they are shallow. Some are deep. You just don't notice them if that are wide and gradually go from the deepest point in the center of the bed to the highest point.

5. Ginger and Mary Ann

They can be very subtile, or agressive. JNDC and antique Ludwigs use crimped snared beds (very obvious), Dunnett has deep cut ones.

6. Registered User

My marching snare has nearly invisible snare beds, to the point where I detuned it, took the shell out of, and put it back on only to realize, hey the snare beds in the wrong spot.

7. YOU POST, I PLAY.

I don't know if all snares have snare beds, but my snare has one and it is wide enough to accommodate 42 strands. Thanks Tama!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Need Tunning or Recording tips? Click for my YouTube channel - Rush, Saxon and Maiden drum covers.

Drum Gear:
    Paiste, Tama, Gibraltar, Danmar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Wuhan.

Recording/Mixing Gear:
    Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Audix, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

8. Registered User

All those Yamaha snares listed have a 1.8mm deep bed.

9. sdrawkcab

its so the wires have full contact with the snare head and not on the bearing edge. If that bed wasnt there it would put all the tension at the bearing edges and barely touch in the middle, making the wires useless. Ive seen it, my handmade snare that my mate made me didnt have a bed... i knew this when i went to put wires on and was kicking myself why it wouldnt tune up. So i made my own haha.
    Wanna hear me drum? CLICK HERE >> http://www.youtube.com/user/Wade0Nixon?feature=mhee

10. Registered User

I was thinkin' the same thing with a new snare of mine. I assumed it was either subtle or non-existant... haven't looked closely at it. Either way, the sound rocks. When they describe the Donati snare bed as "totally flat" do they mean its completely cut out (rather than shaped) or does it mean non existant?
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    ... When they describe the Donati snare bed as "totally flat" do they mean its completely cut out (rather than shaped) ...
    It steps down sharply from the bearing edge over say 3mm, then flat for the width of the snare bed, and then steps back up to the bearing edge over say 3mm. Similar to Brady snares. As compared to most snares where the snare bed gradually tapers down from the bearing edge to the middle of the bed and then back up again over a wider area as in the picture a few posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    .... does it mean non existant?
    There is virtually no snare made that has no snare bed. There are only people who say so because they don't understand what they are looking for. I will challenge anyone to post a picture of a professionally made or production snare without a snare bed (very old vintage snares with parrallel actions and marching snares with parrallel actions excluded). Even when people say "Oh, you are right it has a bed but a shallow one", usually they are not that shallow, just gradual.

12. Registered User

Roger that. Thought so.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN