Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Crimson Luminosity!

Default Does Guitar Center Pay Well for Used Gear?

I went to my local GC today to see if I could trade my Tama Ergoryder Throne for a Rock n Sock Nitro. Instead of making an offer to trade; they said they buy used gear all the time. I also have a DR-503 Icon Curved Rack and I wonder if they would give me enough for the Throne and a great Cowbell? Both the Rack and the Throne are in mint condition. Anybody have experience with GC's used gear practices?
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", Sabians
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760 My Kit
    4 pc Export with JJ Sig Snare For Sale; PM me.
    MASTERS ARMY

2. Registered User

you would be better off selling it on ebay or craigslist yourself, because they have to cut you down cheaper because they need to make money on it after you, so you can just skip the middle man and sell it yourself and make what they would make, yaknow?

3. Emu Tamer Extraordinaire

to give you an idea about what GC pays for used gear, I took my MicroMoog synthesizer into GC once a few years ago to see what I could get for it. Most Ebay auctions had been ending between $800-$1k at the time. GC offered me $125 and said that was the best they could do.
    My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

4. Raggie Raggie...

They will actually severely rip you off.
    I tried to sell a perfectly good Axis Double Pedal there. They were offering only 125$ for what is usually a $550-600 pedal. Plus, if I was dumb enough to sell it to them, they would have probably tried to squeeze $400 out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjjunior666 View Post
    cheers Maark i will take that onboard, course i knows its sloppy its not me at my best and jealously kicks in when they see something what they cant do :)
    Selling DDRUM Dios Maple: 10,12,16,20,13. PM if interested.

5. shiny beats

yeah you really dont get a good offer, but if you do decide to sell, you can use that money toward something else at GC and get 15% off of the price..

6. Registered User

Why are getting rid of the rack? I would love that rack for my Gretsch kit.

I know why your getting rid of the Tama throne. I had one, and I hated it. Wobbled like a $20 throne. I have a Roc N Soc now, and life is much better.

7. Crimson Luminosity!

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    Why are getting rid of the rack? I would love that rack for my Gretsch kit.
    I know why your getting rid of the Tama throne. I had one, and I hated it. Wobbled like a $20 throne. I have a Roc N Soc now, and life is much better.
    Dr 503-C Curved rack is going for $399.99 on musiciansfriend right now. That's a sale price. I'm not using the rack and I got it for dbl Kicks w/ 4 rt's. I've been on 6 pc's now and I'm hooked. But I can't give it away and sometimes things change.

The Ergoryder is a tama. For such a high priced throne; I was expecting smooth sailing; But it Wobbles like a 47 ford! It puts my legs to sleep. You would have thought I'd learned my lesson about that company; but no; that's a great throne! LOL!!!!!

GC is out. I guess e bay here I come when I have time to get the Icon down from the attic and set it up.

Thanks!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", Sabians
    MASTERS ARMY

8. Your trauma sponge

CL is a good bet, too. The problem with eBay is shipping, etc.
    Burn my body when I'm bloody dead.
    I don't want to be found with any of you.
    I won't be found with any of you.

My SONOR FORCE 3007s.

9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by McKinnon View Post
    you would be better off selling it on ebay or craigslist yourself, because they have to cut you down cheaper because they need to make money on it after you, so you can just skip the middle man and sell it yourself and make what they would make, yaknow?
    This pretty much sums it up. Selling to GC is something i would do only if you were very pressed for time and not in need of as much money as possible.

GC is a retail store with high overhead. They will always offer you as little as possible mainly because they have no way to know how long they will be sitting on the items they buy in. They are not trying to rip you off. But let's say for example you have a double pedal worth $200.00 used.They offer you $75.00. While they could make $125.00 profit on it, the trouble is, when?. I remember seeing used gear at GC that had been there for years. Especially guitars. Seeing a guitar that had been sitting around for 8 years was not that rare.

So yes, i agree to steer clear if you need to make a good deal of money on your sale. But as far as GC ripping you off, i don't compleltey agree. Their is more to it then them just trying to make a fast buck.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

10. Your trauma sponge

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. Selling to GC is something i would do only if you were very pressed for time and not in need of as much money as possible.
    Or if you're trying to sell something that may be difficult to unload. I think we've all felt the pain of putting an item on CL or eBay that didn't sell.
    Burn my body when I'm bloody dead.
    I don't want to be found with any of you.
    I won't be found with any of you.

My SONOR FORCE 3007s.

11. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
    Or if you're trying to sell something that may be difficult to unload. I think we've all felt the pain of putting an item on CL or eBay that didn't sell.
    Many times.

When i was moving i ha a TON of gear to get rid of that had i had plenty of time, i could have easily got double what GC paid me for it. But if i were to sell it on my own i would have had to have paid more for storage, then taken the time to set up and to photograph each item, then create auctions, pay the listing fee, selling fee and then paypal commision, then pack the stuff, drive it to the shipping center, etc, etc. With GC, i walked in and walked out with $$. Much easier.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

12. Crimson Luminosity!

Yes; I've had the Rack on Craigs list before but not the throne. The Throne is the pressing problem and I need to get enough to replace it with a Roc n Sock Nitro. I should have bought that to begin with but the back rest threw me out of my senses; LOL!!!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MASTERS ARMY