Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default How to cut (cracked) cymbals?

Hi everyone, I recently cracked my "14 Paiste Thin Crash (pictures below) and I really want to turn this into some sort of splash, but the problem is that I've never cut cymbals, ever.

So, good people of PDF, what's your advice/technique on cutting cymbals?

My new Pearl VMX Kit - Silver Sparkle
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...Silver-Sparkle)

2. Moderator

In the future, as soon as a crack appears, that is the time to stop playing it and consider options to cut the cymbal down. Continuing to play it allowing the crack to grow just lessens your options.

As for cutting it down, it is not something you can do at home properly. The cymbal would need to be put on a cymbal lathe. A cymbalsmith would need to do it. I forget the same of the guy i know in Long Island but i am sure someone will chime in. Cutting cymbals down is a job for a pro.

In any event, you have just learned an expensive lessen in what happens when you do not use proper technique. You should take the oppourtunity to re-evaluate your cymbal height and angles and your technique. Or else this will not be the last time you need to cut a cymbal down.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

3. Registered User

I recently bought a cracked 18" Zildjian A Thin crash with the idea of turning it into a bell, hardly cost me anything

My dad and I used a jigsaw (not sure if it was any particular kind of blade) and it seemed to cut it fine. My dad also has an electric sanding machine that was pretty effective for taking the edge off once we cut it down, it was sharp and uneven as hell before, but it came out pretty nicely and even better once we used some wire wool on it. I've read somewhere that you can use tin snips or something, but I can imagine that being a lot of effort and quite time consuming, but it's possibly an option.

The advantage for me was that my dad's a handyman sort of person, he builds/makes/mends all sorts of things so he had the jigsaw and the sander and everything, not sure if you've got access to those sorts of things?

Other thing is that when you get closer to the centre of a cymbal it gets thicker (may not be so bad since it's a smaller crash...), and the bell probably isn't the same size as the bell of a normal splash, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on creating a nice splash sound, it'll probably come out very different.

4. Registered User

I'm kinda scared of cracking a cymbal, not sure if I'm using the right technique

I'm pretty sure I am, but can someone tell me incorrect ways to play and have my cymbals set up? Thanks!
    Stagg TIM
    13"|16"|22"|13x6.5 Joey Jordison Snare|

My Band!
    HETERODOX

5. New and Improved!!

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
    You should take the oppourtunity to re-evaluate your cymbal height and angles and your technique. Or else this will not be the last time you need to cut a cymbal down.
    Slip, what do you mean by this? I used to crack cymbals back in High School- haven't for the longest time, and don't think I hit them that hard. I would imagine down lower would be a better height, so you're not hitting them on the edge. Mine are kind of medium height. Angle? Not sure on that... a little angeld, not perpendicular. My Splash is close to perpendicular. Just interested in what you reccomend as optimal

6. .

i guess your cymbals shouldn't be flat or high so your not exactly hitting the direct edge of the cymbal, if it's lower and at an angle you should be hitting the top which would i guess do less damage to the cymbal

7. Registered User

I've changed my setup...I'll post pics soon
    Stagg TIM
    13"|16"|22"|13x6.5 Joey Jordison Snare|

My Band!
    HETERODOX

8. Gongtopia

In any event, you have just learned an expensive lessen in what happens when you do not use proper technique. You should take the oppourtunity to re-evaluate your cymbal height and angles and your technique. Or else this will not be the last time you need to cut a cymbal down.
    Unless you personally know ronied125 and have seen them play, this is a rather presumptuous statement to make. Cymbals can break no matter what the technique of the player is. Perhaps there was a small nick in the cymbal's edge that lead to this type of crack. A 14" Thin Crash generally won't stand up to the same stress as a larger diameter crash. Neil Peart breaks cymbals, the late Elvin Jones also broke cymbals. Perhaps they are/were in need of "proper technique."

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ictus75 View Post
    Unless you personally know ronied125 and have seen them play, this is a rather presumptuous statement to make. Cymbals can break no matter what the technique of the player is. Perhaps there was a small nick in the cymbal's edge that lead to this type of crack. A 14" Thin Crash generally won't stand up to the same stress as a larger diameter crash. Neil Peart breaks cymbals, the late Elvin Jones also broke cymbals. Perhaps they are/were in need of "proper technique."
    To add onto that, I've had that cymbal for AT LEAST ten years, and it didn't crack till now - if that helps. :P

Anyway, I wanted to know more about cymbal cutting. If I do indeed have bad technique, here are my videos of me playing, you be the judge. lol: http://www.youtube.com/user/ronied125

...and here's actually a video of me USING the "14 Paiste Thin Crash (it's the crash on my right): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOzmNgbYSE
    Last edited by ronied125; 01-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.

10. Registered User

I hit my cymbals right at the edge and I've never had a single crack?
    Mine are B8's and a B8 Pro (sabian).
    They sound awful but I'm pretty sure they're the sturdiest cymbals ever made

11. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ictus75 View Post
    I don't need to personally know somebody to know that when I see a 3"+ edge crack going straight towards the bell that someone is striking a cymbal either edge on from the top or side. The size of the cymbal is irrelevant. And while yes, cymbals break. Properly cared for cymbals typically do.not.

And do not assume because someone is a pro that they have perfect technique. It is often not the case. When you get all the free cymbals you want, you tend to stop being too worried about cymbal technique. Trust me. I know pros who crack several crashes per month. It's not that they don't know what they are doing, they simply don't care.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

12. Registered User

I don't need to personally know somebody to know that when I see a 3"+ edge crack going straight towards the bell that someone is striking a cymbal either edge on from the top or side. The size of the cymbal is irrelevant. And while yes, cymbals break. Properly cared for cymbals typically do.not.

And do not assume because someone is a pro that they have perfect technique. It is often not the case. When you get all the free cymbals you want, you tend to stop being too worried about cymbal technique. Trust me. I know pros who crack several crashes per month. It's not that they don't know what they are doing, they simply don't care.
    OOOOkay. All I wanted to know is about cutting cymbals... but I guess I didn't get much help on that.

If you want to criticize my technique, feel free to do so. Here are my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ronied125

PEACE