Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. hi.

Default Chad Smith snare and Steve Jordan snare.

This will get more attention in here.

So, I know they're to completely different snares (one being steel and the other 4-ply Maple with Reinforcement hoops) but wanted to start a discussion on which one you prefer. What I like about the CS snare is it's lively tone. It's a nice bright tone and makes a statement, aha. Steve's snare is gorgeous nonetheless and I love its crack and tone. I love it because of his work with John Scofield on his "I Don't Need No Doctor" track. Go!

2. Dylan

Thats a tough one and I don't think I would be able to choose since I would use them in different ways.

If it was life or death then I would choose Steve's since I love 13" snares so much.

3. Conor

Odd question...but if I could only have one, it would be the SJ sig, no doubt.

4. AKA Shaggy

Quote Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
    Odd question...but if I could only have one, it would be the SJ sig, no doubt.
    Agreed. Had the CS Sig briefly a few years back, sold it a few weeks later.
    The Sultan of SAKAE DRUMS - www.sakaedrums.com
    CLUB YDF
    Check out my band: When Embers Ignite

5. Groovin'?

I'm not a steel (let alone any metal shell except aluminum and some brass) snare guy because they are usually too loud and bright for my tastes. I have played a Dunnett 14x6.5" Stainless that sounded amazingly warm and rich. It's gotta be pretty deluxe if it's steel for me to like it.
    The CS is a great bargain, but if it came down to it, I would be all about the Jordan.
    There is always yestermorrow...
    My Emerald Mists: 8x8 10x8 12x9 13x11 Toms 14x14 16x14 18x16 Floor Toms 18x16 20x16 24x18 Kicks 14x5.5 and 2 14x6.5 Snares
    Also Pearl: 2 14x6.5 Free Floaters (Maple, Brass & 2 Aluminum shells) 10x6 and 12x7 Maple snares, 13x3 Steel Afro Timbale

6. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Those are pretty different snares, and maybe not a fair comparison considering the Steve Jordan sells for about $175 or so more. The Steve Jordan really is a nicer snare but ultimately it depends on the music you play and the sound you want.

2005 DW Collectors 6pc Broken Glass - 1997 DW Collectors 5pc Blue Abalone - 2009 Roland V Tour TD-9
    - 1960 Slingerland Gene Krupa 4pc Red Sparkle
    1986 Pearl GAX 6pc Piano Black - 1972 Pearl 5pc Gold Grain Pearl

7. hi.

Ultimately I would certainly choose the SJ snare. Unfortunately a CS goes for 250 new and a SJ goes from 300 (if you're lucky when it's used) to 500 new. Yeah it's an odd comparison and yeah I adore the SJ snare, but the CS has some sort of chance? Maybe it's a little one sided due to its steel shell and there's no escaping the lively bright tone. SJ is a little "versatile" but definitely a punch packed snare. Sounds great and has wonderful tone, nice and full. cjbee, you still have yours? How would you describe it with those yammy wood hoops?
    Last edited by ZeusCaboose; 10-28-2010 at 08:42 PM.

8. ----->

The SJ is killer, but if you're looking for another cool snare in that size that's more cost effective check out the Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5. Not it matters, but since you're comparing two completely different snares anyway, figured why not throw it out there. Can't go wrong with a $100 vintage Acrolite either...

9. Conor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCaboose View Post
    Ultimately I would certainly choose the SJ snare. Unfortunately a CS goes for 250 new and a SJ goes from 300 (if you're lucky when it's used) to 500 new. Yeah it's an odd comparison and yeah I adore the SJ snare, but the CS has some sort of chance? Maybe it's a little one sided due to it's steel shell and there's no escaping the lively bright tone. SJ is a little "versatile" but definitely a punch packed snare. Sounds great and has wonderful tone, nice and full. cjbee, you still have yours? How would you describe it with those yammy wood hoops?
    Yeah, I still have mine. Though I don't find myself using it as often now that I have an Ayotte Keplinger...but it's still a really great drum. I'd say my SJ is fat, woody, poppy, and punchy...it's got a really wide tuning range and rimshots are deadly with the wood hoops. It just feels great to play on as well.