Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Arrow Pearl Target drum Kit.

What do u think of the pearl targt series kit?Is the sound quality good or bad?Cuz im Thinkin' of gettin' it!! 00**

2. Spirit WARS inside..

Entry level.. Probably cheaper luan mahogany.. decent for a beginner kit!
    I got sumthin'
    CDA member since 2006

3. Ew, is that a snake?

The Target is certainly a decent kit tonally to begin playing on. It's marketed in the US as the "Soundcheck" and the American version has a select hardwood shell that I believe is mainly made from luan mahogany. I've played a Soundcheck and really have really no opinion positive or negative. They tune well, there was no buzzing, but nothing about the kit is that exciting. On bottom-end Pearl kits, the quality of the shell construction is what sets them apart- even Pearl's lowest-grade drums have nice bearing edges and clean shell construction.

Depending on the music gear scene there on the south end of Ireland, you might first consider your options amongst used Pearl drumsets. The only worry I have regarding bottom-of-the-line drums is the hardware attached to them does not hold up. Even the Pearl Forum, which has excellently-made Poplar wood shells suffers from premature hardware malfunction, especially when that hardware is used and used and used. Having seen some really nice 70's Pearl kits going for as little as 100 quid on the english market, it seems that you might want to research used Exports, Sessions, and even old Fiberglass, World, or other drumsets as well. Of course I don't really know the scene or if it's pricey to ship drums across from England.

4. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by barjack View Post
    The Target is certainly a decent kit tonally to begin playing on. It's marketed in the US as the "Soundcheck" and the American version has a select hardwood shell that I believe is mainly made from luan mahogany. I've played a Soundcheck and really have really no opinion positive or negative. They tune well, there was no buzzing, but nothing about the kit is that exciting. On bottom-end Pearl kits, the quality of the shell construction is what sets them apart- even Pearl's lowest-grade drums have nice bearing edges and clean shell construction.

Depending on the music gear scene there on the south end of Ireland, you might first consider your options amongst used Pearl drumsets. The only worry I have regarding bottom-of-the-line drums is the hardware attached to them does not hold up. Even the Pearl Forum, which has excellently-made Poplar wood shells suffers from premature hardware malfunction, especially when that hardware is used and used and used. Having seen some really nice 70's Pearl kits going for as little as 100 quid on the english market, it seems that you might want to research used Exports, Sessions, and even old Fiberglass, World, or other drumsets as well. Of course I don't really know the scene or if it's pricey to ship drums across from England.
    Barjack has it covered with his reply!

I have owned a early model Target kit for quite a few years now and I use it to practice. Barjack's point about the hardware is spot on, and sitting it in one place, not moving anything, reduces the hardware as a problem.
    It sounds fine for my purpose.
    I also took it to a gig once, where it was an open mike kinda gig, and I didn't have to worry if people moved everything around. It miked well!
    The snare in particular surprises me, but the cheaper lugs don't like sustained high tunings, I have cracked one lug in the middle.

But for similar money, I would go Barjack's way, look for a vintage kit of better quality...

5. At the Crossroads

+1 guys nice for the price
    If you're not Groovin in the Pocket you're just makin noise!

Looking for a MLX 18 inch tom in liquid amber

6. Neel

Quote Originally Posted by barjack View Post

I had a pearl forum that held up spectacularly for 7 years. The only exceptions were one of the bass drum spurs and a boom arm, both of which kind of lost their grip and ability to stay in place at about 6.5 years.

Both items were replaced by Pearl for absolutely no cost.

Pearls entry level kits are simply the best. They sound very good for what they are, and they are built extremely well. I don't have experience with the sound check (target), but I would imagine it is a great kit.

If you can, step it up to the forum. It's a great line of drums. There is a reason that pearl hasn't retired the forum line, and that reason is that they simply did it right. I can't recommend them enough.

7. Registered User

For the price of a new Target kit you could easily get yourself a nice used Pearl Export kit, some decent used Pearl hardware, some mid-range cymbals and a spare set of heads. That's what I would recommend.
    Kits: Pearl BLX, Bordeaux Red: 22", 10", 12", 14", 15". Yamaha 5000 birch, Dark Green: 22", 12", 13", 16". Remo Mastertouch, Gold: 2x22", 10", 12", 13", 14",16". Wanted: BLX Bordeaux's in 22", 8", 13" and 16"!