Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Reuther drums?

1. Proud PDP Player

Default Reuther drums?

So, we're moving practice to my guitarist's house, and he's got an old Reuther kit at his house, today I took the old Tama heads off of it that had been on it since like, idk, a decade or so, and slapped my old EC2's on it and made it sound not as crappy. Now, I haven't been able to find any info on Reuther whatsoever online, I understand from what I've been able to dig up that they were made by Pearl back in the day and are now discontinued, but I was wondering if there's any older members on here that may have had experience with Reuther drums and any tips for head choices to fix it up and make it sound like a decent practice kit. The sizes are 12x7 and 13x8 rack toms, 16x13 floor tom, 22x14 kick. Shells are rather thick, and dark in color. The bottom heads are missing off the rack toms but the lugs are still there so I suppose I could always replace the hoops if I wanted to, for the time being I took the bottom head off the FT to remain consistent with the rest of the kit.

But, yeah, any info on Reuther drums would be nice, cuz I have absolutely no info on any of their stuff. :P
    PDP Platinum (22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14)
    Ludwig Supra-Phonic Snare, 6.5x14
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare, 5x14
    Evans Heads
    TOMS: G+/G1
    SNARE: Pwr Ctr Rev Dot/Glass 500
    KICK: EQ4/EQ3

2. Proud Deathcore Fan

I don't know much about Reuther in and of itself, but assuming it's a decent if not high quality kit:

For heads, EC2's would probably work. Mid line muffled heads. I'd say replace the hoops and add a resonant to get some sustain, and with just some careful tuning, you should be able to get a good sound out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by abacacus View Post
    Metal is about blood, sweat, and beers. You gotta have EFFORT, you have to put some feeling into those blasts, you have to WANT the power, WANT the speed.
    The room kept spinning and spinning
    I start to think a little differently at what we are
    I watched the color drain from the world that day

3. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

I got a new Reuther kit in 1979. It was an entry level kit at the time and was well suited for a beginning drummer like myself. They sounded good for what they were and they should make for a decent practice kit. Back then I removed the bottom heads from the toms and slapped everything on them from pinstripes to Emperors to hydraulics. I liked the pinstripes the best because of their durability.

Your not going to get super great tones from this kit but it should be good for practice.
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

4. Registered User

Guildford/Cheltenham United Kingdom - England

You could slap some G1's on the bottom too to improve even more?
    They will never sound as good as your PDPs though, obviously. Now your tuning knowledge you've been implying is put to the test! :P
    R.I.P Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan! FoREVer in our hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by |DxM| Malice View Post
    You wright and speak like a 9 year old.

5. Proud PDP Player

Quote Originally Posted by Filipino Drummer View Post
    You could slap some G1's on the bottom too to improve even more?
    They will never sound as good as your PDPs though, obviously. Now your tuning knowledge you've been implying is put to the test! :P
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've gotten the toms to sound decent with the EC2's, they definitely don't sound as pretty as my Platinums but at least now they sound passable as a drumset :P I don't have the budget for new hoops right now but I might eventually restore the bottom heads and try G1's on the bottom or maybe even the old EC Resonants I still have lying around.

The only drum I am having trouble with is the kick. It's a 22x14 with T-style tension rods and they're like extremely sensitive, just a mere 8th of a turn and it goes up like 2 or 3 whole pitches. Maybe I'm exaggerating there, but it's pretty tough to get into tune. I removed all the blankets and old pairs of shorts and other bullcrap my guitarist had stuffed in there, and left one small rolled up blanket against the batter. I cannot get a good sound out of it for the life of me. I'm more than positive the problem is the heads (The batter is a Remo Controlled Sound that has to be years and years and years old - I don't know how the previous owner treated the kit but my guitarist said he hasn't once changed the heads since he got the kit) Any tips on head choice for this one? I love my EQ4 but it obviously won't yield the same results on this kit so I'm thinking either an EMAD or even one of those Aquarian SuperKicks might be a better choice. Any tips?
    PDP Platinum (22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14)
    Ludwig Supra-Phonic Snare, 6.5x14
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare, 5x14
    Evans Heads
    TOMS: G+/G1
    SNARE: Pwr Ctr Rev Dot/Glass 500
    KICK: EQ4/EQ3