Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Drummin' slut & lovin' it

Ribbon mic are usually condensor mics (need power to the mic to operate it). You have Dynamic mics (operates off of electrical signals generated by the mic's pickup coil movement).

Just place the mic between the two drums and leave it at that. Anything you do to affect one mic electrically when "Y"ed together affects how the 2nd one picks up too. When you strike one drum, BOTH mics will pick up the sound (one slightly delayed) and make for a slightly muddied sound with both mics sending the same sound down the cable through the mixer. Does this happen with multiple mics on their own mixer channels? Yes, but you can electrically alter each mic individually to improve the sound.

weps
    Pearl Masters piano black: MRX 8x8, 10x8, 12x8, MMX 15x14, 18x16, MRX 20x16 bass
    Snares: 14x5 Blacrolite w/S-hoop, 14x5 SX jazz special pimped w/Mastercast.
    Cymbals: ALL PAISTE: 3000 heavy hats, Signature 16", 18" fast crash, 17" mellow crash, 20" heavy dry ride, 18" thin China

2. Registered User

Thanks for all the advice. I'll play around and see what I like best.

Weps...any pics of your kit?
    "Free the [tom] angles" - Majyk Oyster

3. Gumbercules

Ribbon mic are usually condensor mics
    I think you mean ribbon mics are usually powered mics.

Ribbon mics and Condenser mics are very different.

4. My Concord Faded

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Being that these are likely wide cardioids, you can easily mic 2 toms with one mic without any issues.
    Yes, very well oddly enough. I only have 4 mics working on a 5 piece. I suggest using a single mic on the smaller toms as they cut through better, single on floor toms. I have the TN211 slightly on the 10" side because the 12" gets picked up really good.

So if these were my toms o' O the mic would be the '.
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by weps View Post
    Ribbon mic are usually condensor mics (need power to the mic to operate it). You have Dynamic mics (operates off of electrical signals generated by the mic's pickup coil movement).

weps
    The voltage in a ribbon microphone is generated by the movement of the ribbon within a magnetic field. You don't need phantom power or any other source of electricity except for what is generated by the ribbon mic itself to send a signal down the cable.

Dennis

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by weps View Post
    The majority of ribbon mics are passive. Active ribbon mics are not common and have only started popping up in fairly recent years. Ribbon mics are a type of dynamic mic.

And a lot of regular ribbon mics can be fried by sending 48v phantom power to them. Newer ones have some sort of protection, but it's still not recommended.

7. My Concord Faded

Why are you guys arguing over ribbon mics? The guy clearly has dynamic mics, if anyone bothered to look up what he has...
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

8. Bean

Quote Originally Posted by bill87gt View Post

I use two mics (Shure pg 56) into one splitter cable for one channel on my 14 and my 16 floor toms and it works very well for live apps.

I can position both mics on what I feel is a sweet spot, and we have a quality PA and processing gear and it does fine for me.

I say give it a try. Only for live apps though ..... LOL.
    Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

9. Registered User

The reason for not using a Y-cable splitter to combine two mic signals into one is because a Y-cable splitter is a splitter, not a combiner. Splitting one signal into two is much easier than combining two signals into one. I'd be surprised if the label on any Y-cable out there talks about combining signals. They pretty much all talk about splitting signals because they don't want to assume any responsibility for damages if you use it to combine signals.

Lots of folks use a Y-cable to combine signals (eg. stereo RCA outs to a TS 1/4" plug to play music on breaks). It generally works okay but when there are problems, you got problems! Spend a few bucks on a decent mic combiner:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/El...cutsheet.shtml

http://www.newworldproaudio.com/audi..._p_32-217.html

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    Why are you guys arguing over ribbon mics? The guy clearly has dynamic mics, if anyone bothered to look up what he has...
    Nobody's arguing about anything. We all just want accurate information to get to the readers, nothing else.

Many years ago I saw an engineer connect an RCA 77D ribbon microphone to an energized 48V phantom input without his knowing which created disastrous effects. It burned the windings of it's impedance matching transformer.

Dennis

11. Drummin' slut & lovin' it

Quote Originally Posted by bill87gt View Post

Here's a couple shots from the front with the 3 across front toms. 1st one with them all miced up, 2nd has one floor, & the last is a clear side shot of the two floors before I found my 8x8 front tom (nice clean living room picture). I really need to get some good current drumkit pictures.

weps
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Pearl Masters piano black: MRX 8x8, 10x8, 12x8, MMX 15x14, 18x16, MRX 20x16 bass
    Snares: 14x5 Blacrolite w/S-hoop, 14x5 SX jazz special pimped w/Mastercast.
    Cymbals: ALL PAISTE: 3000 heavy hats, Signature 16", 18" fast crash, 17" mellow crash, 20" heavy dry ride, 18" thin China

12. drummer/engineer

one mic should be fine for two floor toms IMO.

on a side note, i'd recommend doing a bit more research on what types of mics there are in the market and what their technical characteristics are..