Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Mad Scientist Status

Default The new hotness! Sonor 2007 Rock!!

So for a while now I've been looking at upgrading to a new kit. I only had a few requirements - virgin kick and full birch shell. I was looking at the Sonor 2007 Rock Kit in Dark Green Burst (I'm a sucker for green colored kits), but it was never in stock anywhere. Then just a little about a month ago I found the it for $500. That was a great deal and I always liked the Dark Green Burst. I was still hesitant but when the site had a Memorial Day sale with up to 15% off I already knew I was gonna reach for the wallet. I ended getting 10% off and used that to get some new heads for the kit. Needless to say 2 days later she arrived and I've been happy ever since. So without further ado, a kit I can finally be proud to show off, the new hotness:

Specs:

22x20 Bass Drum w/ Aquarian Super Kick II and Regulator
    14x6 Snare w/ Evans Genera Dry and stock reso
    12x8 Rack Tom w/ Aquarian Super 2 w/ Studio X Ring and Evans Clear G1
    16x16 Floor Tom w/ Aquarian Super 2 w/ Studio X Ring and Evans Clear G1
    14" AAX Stage Hats
    16" AAX Xplosion Crash
    18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    20" AAX Stage Ride

I'd like to point out all of this was bought on my own. Not bad for a 20 year old college student who's getting just a little over minimum wage!

A few quick thoughts on it. First off, it looks absolutely gorgeous in person. Coming from a matte finish the high gloss just sets it off. As far as sound goes it sounds nice. Really nice. I really like the 12x8 tom. I was thinking about getting a Hyperdrive because I like to position my toms freely and honestly don't like the looks of 12x9's but felt that the shallow sizes might kill too much low end. The 8 inch depth on these are perfect. Resonate freely and with low end. 16 inch floor roars like a lion especially after coming from a 14 inch mounted floor. The bass drum is nice and I LOVE virgin kicks. Finally the snare is alright. Much better than my last set's snare, and it'll sound better after switching heads and getting some Puresound Blasters but I feel like I'll end up getting an Artwood or something.

The heads I to buy along with the kit were Aquarian Super 2's with the built in Studio X Ring. Just like the website says' their warm and super punchy! I like having focus but these things still sing without sounding dead at all. Like someone said "SING!"to your EC2's and Pinstripes. However, it is important to note that I didn't really see them as easier to tune than other heads like Aquarian advertises. Though that might be due to the TuneSafe lugs that are harder gripping, than normal lugs and therefore take a bit longer to tune up. I do like the Tunesafe feature now that the drums have been tuned as it's harder to detune the drums with heavy hitting. I want to stress the fact that i tried a couple of other heads on the shells but the Super 2 sounded head and shoulders above the rest. I can give no higher commendation.

Other upgrades will be all the hardware as it's mostly just pure unadulterated crap save for my Iron Cobra Jr. Definitely need a boomstand. Think I'll upgrade to more Roadpro stands, and I feel like getting a new Crash and Ride. Maybe some Paiste Alphas or 2002's. Also looking to get some bass traps and wall panels for the room. Man I'ma be spending money this next year. Good thing I'm almost out of school.

Last but not least a few pics of the old widow before she leaves. It's a Tamburo Ash. She sounded decent at best, but those ash shells are just too **** loud and with so much attack it really hurts the ear especialy in a small room like mine unless I put on iem's. Also, the hardware, as already stated is crap and those tom mounts kill a lot of tone. Still, she was my very first and she'll always be special because of that.

\

Alright. Well that's everything! After a lot of lurking glad to finally be a part of the forum!
    Last edited by jankydude; 06-09-2010 at 11:14 PM.

2. anti-shark cage?

Welcome to PDF.
    Congrats on the new kit, man. It looks great.
    12x8 ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

3. that one guy

Nom.
    Gamertag: DarkEdgeX5
    Facebook

4. Neobeat Magazine

Awesome kit and welcome!

I was under the impression that the Force didn't come with a virgin kick... I'm guessing I was mistaken? Also, just curious as to what makes you choose Aquarian heads?

It's a lovely set of pots and pans you have there.

5. Abomination of desolation

SExy kit! Love it!Welcome!
    Beneath a summer sky
    Under glass moonlight
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival
    Liquid shadows crawl
    Silver teardrops fall
    The bride subsides to her survival

Ref Crystal Rain Army!!!

6. 3:16

congrats!

Winner of Best large kit over 5 pieces category ~ PDF ANNUAL AWARDS 2009

My kit: Yamaha MCAN in Gold Sparkle Fade + Yamaha Vintage Wood hoops

My 31 SNARES collection..18+ only!

7. Mad Scientist Status

Quote Originally Posted by the beat View Post
    I was under the impression that the Force didn't come with a virgin kick... I'm guessing I was mistaken? Also, just curious as to what makes you choose Aquarian heads?
    The regular Force kits don't have it but the Force 2007 and 3007 rock configs have the virgin 4 piece set up. I suspect it's Sonor trying to cash in on the Travis Barker wannabee's. I don't really care for scene set ups but the virgin kick for $500 is a steal! And the Aquarian heads are because my local drum shop has no Evans, barely any Remo, and a whole lotta Aquarian so I grew up on em. I think they are a lot more durable than Remo or Evans. Plus the Super 2's are like Aquarian's bread and butter. They have the durability of a 2 ply but because they are 5 and 7 plies as opposed to double 7 plies they can open a bit more.

And thanks everyone for the comments!

8. shiny beats

sweet kit! i dig dog

nd yes Aquarian Super 2s are awesome

9. The Fight Revisited.

love this finish. I was considering this kit, but I wasn't completely in love with the 20x22 on my Pro M kit. If they had this available in other configurations, it would have been a contender. Glad it works out for you though. Awesome color.
    Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
    All my previous kits - Here

10. Registered User

Just seen this.

lovely kit. Sonor 2007 and 3007 kits are some of the nicest affordable kits out there.
    I play Panda Percussion and Istanbul Mehmet Cymbals with negligible talent.

At any time let x be the number of kits I own, then x+1 is the number of kits I want.

11. Dylan

Nice man!

I think you should of got sonor's new essential force instead though. Its crazy how people overlook sonor's new lines. I see a lot of older force series when they can have the new ones that imo are much better.