Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tune a cajon?

1. Le Fraunche

Default tune a cajon?

I have a meinl headliner and i'm struggling to get a good sound out of mine, there's always an annoying sound behind every hit. i tried another of the same model and it isnt doing that, and its really starting to piss me off. im just trying to achieve a nice ''snare'' and a nice ''bass'' sound. the snare sounds pretty good right now actually, but the bass sounds nothing like it should
    Gamertag:STA JonyBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by cezegg View Post
    yup, it snows once you hit the border, and we pay for things in pancakes, ride polar bears, and we're all lumberjacks and we're okay, sleep all night, work all day.

2. Registered User

I didn't think you could tune a cajon. Some just sound better than others. I think you can adjust the snares, but that's about it.
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

3. yeah about that.....

play around with the box maybe add tape inside or some muffling i dont know i really have never heard a bad cajon because i really am not into hand percussion. but thats an idea.

4. hi.

I have a Meinl Headliner Cajon. In the video, I have the four "strings" in the back of the cajon tuned low (the two rod things are almost all the way out). Let me know how you think it sounds. I also used a screw driver and loosened the two screws on the top (the two on left and right - not the middle one) just a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvULz2-cs9I

5. Registered User

sounds good to me.

6. ...has Stanton's hands??

You can't tune it like a regular drum, but there are two ways you can tune a cajon.

The first, as a few have mentioned, is to tune the strings.

The second is to "tune" the amount of slap you get out of the top corners of the box by SLOWLY AND SLIGHTLY loosening or tightening the screws in those areas.
    Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
    -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
    -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements
    Music