Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Drum Polish

1. Registered User

Default Drum Polish

What is everybody using the polish they're drums and what kind of cloth or towels are good to use so that they won't scratch up the finish. I have had my reference for about a year now and want to give a good cleaning. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Put this in your sig if you're a lefty playing a right handed kit

2. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drmmstr06 View Post
    What is everybody using the polish they're drums and what kind of cloth or towels are good to use so that they won't scratch up the finish. I have had my reference for about a year now and want to give a good cleaning. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Dozens of threads on this subject:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/se...archid=6545660

The easiest way to know what is safe to use is remember that your drum kit's finish is the same type they use on cars. So anything safe for cars is safe for your drums. Use 100% COTTON towels or cloths, NEVER paper towels or synthetics. Warm water and mild soap on a damp towels is fine for cleaning. You can also use Caranuaba wax on your shells, just take all the hardware off first.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

3. Registered User

I have written 4 or 5 threads about this subject. I would never use a towel like a bath towel on a car...or drum kit. The only thing a bath towel is good for maintain drum gear is when using groove juice to clean cymbals. You have to do a fresh water rinse on the cymbals when using groove juice.

I use 100 percent cotton plain white T shirts torn into pieces to apply and remove wax, furnature polish or oil to my drums and hardware. Once a rag is used for either applying wax...removing wax...applying oil or furnature polish I will not use the same rag for a diffrent cleaning agent.

The proceedure for me is...removing all hardware and hoops from the drum shells. If the drum shell is made of wood and it has either a plastic lamante finish or a laquer stain finish...I use furnature polish on the shell. If the drum shell is made of metal...or painted metal I use liquid automotive car wax.

For the hardware like hoops, and mounts...etc...I use liquid automotive car wax. Also for stands, clamps, rack parts...anything plated in chrome or gold or even black painted.

For tuning rods...or any threaded fastenters...I use 3 and 1 oil...just a little bit goes a LONG way. Wipe up all excess oil. I will never apply oil to the screws that hold lugs onto drum shells. There is no need to apply lube to them.

AXEMAN
    "If You Don't Rock, YOU SUCK!"

4. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AXEMAN View Post
    I have written 4 or 5 threads about this subject. I would never use a towel like a bath towel on a car...or drum kit. The only thing a bath towel is good for maintain drum gear is when using groove juice to clean cymbals. You have to do a fresh water rinse on the cymbals when using groove juice.

I use 100 percent cotton plain white T shirts torn into pieces to apply and remove wax, furnature polish or oil to my drums and hardware. Once a rag is used for either applying wax...removing wax...applying oil or furnature polish I will not use the same rag for a diffrent cleaning agent.

The proceedure for me is...removing all hardware and hoops from the drum shells. If the drum shell is made of wood and it has either a plastic lamante finish or a laquer stain finish...I use furnature polish on the shell. If the drum shell is made of metal...or painted metal I use liquid automotive car wax.

For the hardware like hoops, and mounts...etc...I use liquid automotive car wax. Also for stands, clamps, rack parts...anything plated in chrome or gold or even black painted.

For tuning rods...or any threaded fastenters...I use 3 and 1 oil...just a little bit goes a LONG way. Wipe up all excess oil. I will never apply oil to the screws that hold lugs onto drum shells. There is no need to apply lube to them.

AXEMAN
    Cotton terry cloth will not hurt a lacquer finish in any way. The terry cloth material removes wax and moisture much better then thin cotton rags because it's a thick material and has a much bigger surface area. Microfiber cloths work as well for the same reason, larger surface area.

As for furniture polish on lacquer finishes, it will do nothing to protect a drum or to make it any cleaner then simply using water and mild soap followed by wax. In fact, in many cases, Furniture polish will ultimatley damage your lacquer finish. The vast majority of Lacquer finishes are done with Polyurethane/Polyester lacquers that are identical to the finishes used in automotive applications. Case in point, most Masterworks custom finishes are doen with House Of Kolor lacquers. The same type you will find on most classic cars and bikes. Not only is it the same product, but it's typically applied in the same process which leaves a clear coat as the outer finish. The clear coat outer finish completley seals the color and the wood. That clear finish will take wax well and will stay very smooth with normal cleaning. Most (NOT ALL) "satin stain" kits are also sprayed with a coat of clear lacquer and do not need furniture polish either.

Furniture polish is primarily designed for unsealed wood, which is typical of a good deal of furniture. Most furniture is simply stained wood with no protective coating. In those instances, furniture polish serves a purpose. It not only keep the wood from drying out but it gives it a protective coating. The silicone seals the surface as well keeping it from drying out, but with a clear coat lacquer like on a drum kit, there is no need to seal a sealed surface. The silicone in most furniture polish gives the glossy look. But that silicone is BAD for lacquers.

I learned a great deal about the dangers of furniture polish on lacquers years ago while on toour with Skynyrd. We had a full grand piano on tour with a white lacquer finish. The tech who handled it and has for over 20 years is a master in the field and knows everything about piano's and how to maintain them. It was through him that i met a piano refinisher who re did the organ we had on tour and the painter explained what Furniture polish does to lacquers. This guy has been refinishing guitars, drums and pianos for over 30 years. Below is that all being summed up.

A word about furniture polish on lacquer:

Lacquer is porous at a microscopic level. Certain things in most furniture polishes will penetrate the lacquer over time, weakening its structure. As the lacquer weakens, it softens. This allows contaminants to penetrate. You rub on a coat of furniture polish, and slowly a microthin layer of the lacquer softens. A few weeks later you rub on another coat, and you push dirt and contaminants into this thin softened layer. Repeat for several years, the damaged layer gets deeper and deeper until the finish is shot. Also, many furniture polishes contain silicone which will penetrate the finish, and later on when you want to have the piano refinished, these silicons play havoc with the application of the new finish.

Water, mild soap, Microfiber cloths. Glass Plus if necessary. And a professional to polish and buff years from now. Never use furniture polish. Never use glass cleaners containing ammonia. Never use anything containing silicons.

Do NOT use Windex, or any other glass cleaner containing ammonia. Over time the ammonia will "cloud" the finish, giving it a bit of a milky haze that you cannot remove.

The best way to clean not only your piano but all your lacquer finishes is to use microfiber cloths and water. Dampen one cloth a bit, and gently "wash" the finish, then follow up with a dry cloth. If you have greasy fingerprints or other spots that water won't get off, use Glass Plus.

The same advice goes for guitars as well. Clean your kit with mild soap and warm water with a microfiber cloth or clean cotton terry cloth towel and then wax it using a good quality paste carnuaba wax. Nothing with teflon either. Once it's all waxed and put back together, then water should be all that is needed for most cleaning for a year or more.

As for wraps, most are plastic so again, avoid anything with ammonia. Ever see window tint on a car that looks purple? That is tint that has been cleaned with an ammonia based cleaner. I use warm water and car wash soap for big cleanings or Novus plastic cleaner. No need for furniture polish on a wrap either as there is no need at all to seal plastic.

The only time furniture polish should EVER come near any drum kit is if the drum kit is finishes with only a stain and no protective lacquer at all. Otherwise put the furniture cleaners away and treat your finish like you would the finish on a high end car, because they are the same finish.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

5. lrlrllrlrlrr

I use pure sand and borken glass chunks on my drums. I apply them with steel wool or brillo.

A good Palm sander works really well.
    Purple Craze
    8x5, 8x7, 8x8 10x8, 12x8, 12x9, 13x9, 13x10, 14x11, 16x13, 14x14ft, 18x16ft, 22x20 bd, 22x18 bd, 18x16 bd, 18x14 bd, 14x5 sn

my kit

pearl | paiste | sabian | evans | vic-firth

6. Meus nomen est Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by eric22 View Post
    I use pure sand and borken glass chunks on my drums. I apply them with steel wool or brillo.

A good Palm sander works really well.
    I set up my drums in the back of my truck, and drive through the car wash.
    TOOL

"Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

7. Funkster

Quote Originally Posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
    i set up my drums in the back of my truck, and drive through the car wash.
    +1

8. I'm not Lebowski; I'm the dude

Now I feel guilty - I rarely clean my cymbals, and almost never clean my drums.

I'm a bad parent.
    For sale!: 13" Zildjian A Mastersound top/New Beat bot -
    22" Zildjian A Flat ride -
    22" Zildjian Z Heavy Power ride -
    12" Zildjian Z splash -
    PM me for pricing!

Pearl Ref (SF) 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x20

Snares, Tama Artstar II Limited kit, Yamaha/Roland kit