Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default different kind of bass drum riser for 16" and 18" kicks

Iīve been using the standard type BD riser (Gibraltar or Dixon) on my 18" and recently I noticed that it did some harm to the hoop:

Furthermore I wanted to test different kinds of heads on the BD and looked for a way to avoid repeatedly installing an disinstalling the riser.

I found the "Art Dixson Lift" on the internet and think the basic concept is convincing (watch the videos on his page):

no damage to the hoop and easy installing

Itīs just an expensive peace of plastic (about 40 $) and most of all - itīs not adjustable to height or diameter of the BD.

So I retreated to my basement workshop and made my own lift:

In that state I found out that the heel end of the pedal tended to slightly raise due to the weight of the BD and decided to add a support at the front end:

Now it should work fine - what do you think?

2. Registered User

Looks great... but... what is there to stop the riser from slipping forward under the drum? You haven't put any kind of stopper that hooks over the lip of the hoop to stop the whole thing from creeping forward. Add something like that and you're sorted!
    Kits: Pearl BLX, Bordeaux Red: 22", 10", 12", 14", 15". Yamaha 5000 birch, Dark Green: 22", 12", 13", 16". Remo Mastertouch, Gold: 2x22", 10", 12", 13", 14",16". Wanted: BLX Bordeaux's in 22", 8", 13" and 16"!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MythekRune View Post
    Looks great... but... what is there to stop the riser from slipping forward under the drum? You haven't put any kind of stopper that hooks over the lip of the hoop to stop the whole thing from creeping forward. Add something like that and you're sorted!
    It wonīt slip because itīs firmly attached to the pedal and that (this is important though) must be fixed to the ground either with velcro tape or by itīs spikes (the dw pedal is equipped with both). But this is necessary with every BD-pedal-unit: you have to prevent them from creeping.

The other direction neither is a problem: every kick pushes the BD into the riser (thatīs the reason why the angle brackets have that rubber plate also on their front side)
    Last edited by White Marine Pearl; 04-03-2010 at 06:48 AM.

4. PDF Thread Killer Supreme

That's one of the simplest, straightforward solutions I've ever seen. What did you use for the materials? Where'd you get them?
    Dutch: What happened to him?
    Vic: He came at me. He was unarmed. I took him down old school.
    Dutch: Old as in medieval?

The Shield

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stoovey View Post
    What did you use for the materials? Where'd you get them?
    Itīs mainly made of a simple aluminium ("aluminum" you would say) 60x60 mm angle profile - cut off with a standard hardmetal blade crosscut saw. Slotholes were done with a culumn drill (?) and filed out manually. Rubber parts come from my drumming mat which is sold by the meter on ebay. Bolts, washers and wingnuts shouldnīt be a problem (any hardware store) - hardest part probably is the alu profile though. At least over here in Germany you would have to buy it in a whole length (6 meters) at a metal profile wholesaler. I had it on my shelf from a previous "project".

6. I <3 Miss Pearl

I use the gibraltar riser; you are supposed to put rubber on the hoop (of course quite annoyingly they actually don't supply you with it).

Neat riser you made, and I hope it serves you well. You might want to get the pedal just a little further away.