Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Smile Best drum Heads for "Metal"

Hello everyone!

First let me take a quick second to introduce myself. Names Nick. I used to be into drumming hardcore back about 5 years ago. I moved from Cali to NH and thats about where my drumming career ended. I had started on a roland electric kit back in the day and traded it in for a PDP acoustic kit. Moral of the story, no one ever taught me how to tune, and I thought the kit was a "jazz kit" if there is even such a thing.

Fast forward to 2010 and im trying to get back into it. Now here is where my problem en lies, I have talked to alot of different people about what I need to do in order to get the right sound, I have heard everything from the type of wood to the color of the paint making a difference. Now I know some basic things but what I dont know is what would be the best bet to get the right sound.

My current kit is (if I remember correctly) a 5-ply Maple PDP kit.

Snare: 14x5
    Tom: 10x8
    Tom: 12x9
    Tom: 14x12
    Bass: 22x18

I am looking for a good metal sound, I love the sound of "The Rev's" kit from Avenged Sevenfold, and I would like to know what heads I should get for it. Or should I even bother with heads? Would it be better to get a new kit that has deeper toms to better get the sound im looking for? Right now im a student and looking for the cheapest option possible while getting it closest to the sound I want. Any help would be amazing!

2. SUPREME MODULATOR

YOUR best bet will be MICROPHONES and a STUDIO because YOUR last kit was ELECTRONIC which means you'll HATE acoustic drums played two feet from your FACE, even if they ARE well-tuned.

3. InGlorious Basterd

you want someting with a very pronounced attack with a lot of low end.

in my opinion....EC2 over g1
    "To the heart of me and your spilling grief, To answer to a God who never answers you"
    Oceansize

Brass Sensitone & cymbals

4. Registered User

I had talked with someone and they recommended hydraulic heads. any good?

5. InGlorious Basterd

no, way to dead ....there is just no tone that comes out of the drums, they will sound lifeless, trust me mate ec2's or pinstripes. for metal anyway
    "To the heart of me and your spilling grief, To answer to a God who never answers you"
    Oceansize

Brass Sensitone & cymbals

6. PD911

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    no, way to dead ....there is just no tone that comes out of the drums, they will sound lifeless, trust me mate ec2's or pinstripes. for metal anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by sketterman
    I guess the Emo guys hit the cymbals real hard because they hate their dads or something.
    MySpace

Facebook

Twitter

7. Raggie Raggie...

If you want an exaggerated metal sound, I also recommend EVANS EC2s and especially the EMAD on your bass drum. Go for the clear head, I just picked up one today. What I do for the kick is:
    -Avoid the rings
    -Tune the batter to the lowest possible pitch (with some resonance)
    -Put a sizable pillow inside which will muffle a small chunk of the batter and en even smaller parts of the front head. You'll get a fairly decent high end crack as well as a low thump. Try it out, if you don't like it, mess with the dampening rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjjunior666 View Post
    cheers Maark i will take that onboard, course i knows its sloppy its not me at my best and jealously kicks in when they see something what they cant do :)
    Selling DDRUM Dios Maple: 10,12,16,20,13. PM if interested.

8. Registered User

Ok guys well thanks for the help hopefully this will lead me in the rite direction.

9. 'god' free

I'm using an ST batter over a Hazy 300 reso for my snare, which is cranked to forcÚd sodomy.

My kick has a clear EMAD with a stock Pearl reso. Medium style.

My toms have clear EC2 batters, tuned mid-high, with clear G1 resonants.

I'm running 14x5.5, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 20x16, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by exordium View Post
    dolla dolla bill y'all

Less, by simple definition, cannot be more. Seriously. Check the ****ing dictionary.

Art thou the hammer, or art thou the nail? From the view of the beam, 'tis all the same. But for the nail, 'tis very different.

10. Saturn Club

I just purchased the new EC2's for my Saturns, and I'm pretty pleased.

I do like the sound of the G2 coated a lot better, but unless they are miced it's not as pronounced as the clears. I would suggest the EC2's over G1's, but as for me, I'll stick with the G2's for my next heads.
    SELLING A CUSTOM RCI KIT W/ HUMES AND BERG HARD CASES CHEAP!!! PM ME!

11. just a ram a tam tam

Exclamation

YO tune the toms low with 2 ply heads if you like the rev's sound. tune the bass drums as loose as possible on either side, muffle, and put a falam slam on it. bada-bing, you got yoself some metal drums.

12. I deserve this...

Quote Originally Posted by IPLAYWITHNOSHOES View Post
    Put a sizable pillow inside...
    I'm not a fan of this. The kick drum packs so much more punch without anything in it. If you're triggering, however, then go for it.

I use an Aquarian Superkick II with the black Evans EQ patch on my batter side, and an Evans Retro Screen on the front. I get a really good sound out of it. There's an ST Dry over Hazy 300 on my 14-inch snare and an HD Dry over stock Pork Pie on the 13, and Evans G2 clear over G1 clear on all my toms. Sounds pretty darn metal.
    One more time...