Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What Crash should I go with?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paiste 2002 20" Crash

9 42.86%
  • Paiste 2002 20" Medium Crash

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Saturn Club

Default Paiste 2002 Crash or Medium Crash??

So I'm selling my 20" Rude Thin Crash because it's a bit too heavy and is too bright for my tastes. I'm Looking to replace it with either a 20" 2002 Crash or Medium Crash. I have a 18" 2002 Crash now, so I need it to blend with that, but I also need a cutting crash because I play Doom/Sludge metal and crash ride a lot as well.

What would you guys suggest? The regular Crash or the Medium crash?
    SELLING A CUSTOM RCI KIT W/ HUMES AND BERG HARD CASES CHEAP!!! PM ME!

2. Registered User

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing as well - out with the 18" RUDE Wild, 19" 2002 Wild and 19" Signature Heavy Full (see sig )

In with the 18" 2002 Medium, along with a 20" Sig heavy full and a 20" Dimensions med heavy I recently got a good deal on.

In my opinion the 2002 Medium is the greatest crash sound I've heard. I'm debating whether to get the 20" as well as the 18".

Nothing against the 'standard' 2002 Crash, but the extra degree of bite the Medium supplies is well worth it...

3. Saturn Club

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed Chimp View Post
    I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing as well - out with the 18" RUDE Wild, 19" 2002 Wild and 19" Signature Heavy Full (see sig )

In with the 18" 2002 Medium, along with a 20" Sig heavy full and a 20" Dimensions med heavy I recently got a good deal on.

In my opinion the 2002 Medium is the greatest crash sound I've heard. I'm debating whether to get the 20" as well as the 18".

Nothing against the 'standard' 2002 Crash, but the extra degree of bite the Medium supplies is well worth it...
    Yeah man I'm in between on this one. I have a 20" Rude Thin Crash right now and I don't like it at all. It's too harsh sounding and too heavy. The overtones are really ear splitting too.

I would like the Medium 20", but I don't want it to be TOO much as well, but then I don't want the 20" Crash and it not be enough to cut......

4. Registered User

I agree with Stuffed Chimp, my 20" 2002 Medium is the best crash I've ever owned!

If you're playing metal I'd definitely go for the Medium, but at the same time, if the RUDE Thin is too thick for you then the 2002 Medium is going to be more of the same. The 2002 Crash might be thinner but probably won't have the oomph to cut it as a crash/ride.

I have both the 20" Medium and 20" Crash, so naturally I say get both if you can!
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
    1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
    1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

5. Registered User

I replaced a 19" regular crash with a 20" medium. The 19" was really not what I was looking for, although it's a great crash. The medium has a much heavier feel under the stick - love it. Great for playing consecutive quarter and 8th notes. Go for it.

6. I play with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FiliptheNickel View Post
    I agree with Stuffed Chimp, my 20" 2002 Medium is the best crash I've ever owned!

This.

As you well know, I have custom reflector 17 and 19 2002 mediums on order. I enjoy them. Took me some time to find out that medium heavy sounds bloody good. I use to only play 2002 power crashes. Now, I mix it up with mediums. I just wanted custom sizes, that's all. As I said before, go with the 20 medium. Great crash/ride as well!

7. Saturn Club

Awesome guys!

I think I just needed some added assurance on it before I went and bought them, but that's what I was really thinking would work.

Roman - does the reflector make a difference on those mediums? A little brighter?

8. The Paiste Vault

20" Medium all the way baby! Plus they have excellent resale value, at least on eBay!
    See my kit here -
    Pearl Masters MCX-A Artisan Limited Honey Burst Mappa Burl

22x18, 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5 and a 14x6.5 FFS Brass Snare

9. Immortality has its Privelages

Allow me to disagree with the masses and choose the reg 2oo2 crash. There's nothing wrong with any of the 2oo2 crashes. But the thinner they go the more warmth they add to that classic Paiste shimmer, this I love. My fav 2oo2s are the thins but I prefer the regulars over the meds.

10. I play with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Drum Lad View Post
    Roman - does the reflector make a difference on those mediums? A little brighter?
    Reflector finish adds some overall brighter tone in the higher end, and lower end, but the body is slightly less (with regards to a traditional finish having tons of body compared). Basically, it kind of dulls it SOME, but at the same time, gives it a tad more shimmer. LOL! That makes no sense. I use to think reflector dulled it some. However, I find it just shaves some of the high pitch out of it, and replaces it with shimmer and warm tones. If that makes sense?

Bottom line, reflectors SOUND GOOD! Some models, it doesnt. For a medium, it makes it sound better IMO. It all sounds good really.

11. Saturn Club

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAN View Post
    Reflector finish adds some overall brighter tone in the higher end, and lower end, but the body is slightly less (with regards to a traditional finish having tons of body compared). Basically, it kind of dulls it SOME, but at the same time, gives it a tad more shimmer. LOL! That makes no sense. I use to think reflector dulled it some. However, I find it just shaves some of the high pitch out of it, and replaces it with shimmer and warm tones. If that makes sense?

Bottom line, reflectors SOUND GOOD! Some models, it doesnt. For a medium, it makes it sound better IMO. It all sounds good really.
    Awesome man!
    Dude I used the Sound Edges at a show last night I got from you.....DUDE KILLER!!! They sound incredible. Also that 18" 2002 Crash is F-ING AWESOME! It had PLENTY of cut for us, but I don't know how it would do as a crash ride?....lol

Now I'm thinking about the 20" Regular Crash.....this is such a tough decision! The pole is fairly close now, but we'll see. Thanks for all the input guys!

12. Registered User

I own the 20” Medium and love it. I play it along with a 17” & 19” 2002 Crashes and a 19” Sig. Full Crash. I also use it in my two crash combo along with my 19” 2002 Crash. The Meduims have a fuller, thicker tone to them compared to the standard Crashes. Both are great, but if I had to choose one, I’d go with the Medium.