Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. I spell bad.

Default Deep snares? Your thoughts?

So I bought a kit on ebay and it comes with a 14x7 snare... I've never played anything other then a 5.5. My first thought was to re list the snare on ebay and buy something more to my comfort zone. But I'm wondering what all the drummers here on the PDF think of these deep snares. What kind of sound and volume should I expect from this snare? It Maple and its a Mapex Pro M with super hoops. My two favorit snares ever were a Starclassic Birch 14x5.5 and a Brass Sensitone 14x5.5. I have a feeling this thing is going to be way to deep and way to loud.... what do you guys think?
    In search of a pAiSTe 2oo2 Dry Ride.

Nous sommes du soleil...
    We love when we play...

2. Registered User

Sometimes the best idea when you get something new is to live with it for awhile before you make a decision to sell/trade/or keep it. I've done that several times and learned how a drum or cymbal could be useful - when it wasn't clear from the beginning.
    For example, I'm currently learning to appreciate the Acrolite. When I first got mine I didn't see any reason to keep it - it's a nice drum and all, but it isn't as woody or sensitive as my wood snares and not as bright and metal sounding as my brass snare. Just seemed like everything it did I had something that could do better. But I've been trying different heads and tunings and I've found that while it is a great all-around snare, I particularly like it for New Orleans style playing. Since it isn't so ultra-sensitive, it's good for those loosey-goosey kind of sounds with the snare wires relaxed. It does that better than anything else I have.
    So keep your deep shell for awhile and try it in different settings with different tunings and head combinations and you may just find something you can't live without.

3. Saturn Club

Well if it's a Mapex Pro M, then the shell is pretty thin and the bearing edges are a single 45 degree. This will give it a lot of resonance. Especially with that depth. Personally I like deep maple snares, but I like a low fat sound from a wood snare. I don't really think it will be louder than a Brass sensitone snare. It will be completely different than both of the snares you listed, so I'd say keep it so you have 3 snares to choose from....all with different characteristics.

Not saying yours will be the same, but I had a Mapex Pro M prototype (Orion Orbiter) and the snare was terrible. Really out of control overtones, but they may have fixed it with the Pro - M series.

Good luck and let us know how it sounds.
    SELLING A CUSTOM RCI KIT W/ HUMES AND BERG HARD CASES CHEAP!!! PM ME!

4. This is just a tribute

There is a trend these days for deeper snares. When I started drumming 6 years ago, drums were mostly 6.5" or shorter. Personally, I like my snares between 5" and 6" and my reason for this is because I prefer the snare feedback I get from shorter snares - from a physics point of view, snare response is probably just as good on a deeper snare than on a shorter snare, but it never seems that way for me. I've never had a problem getting a low enough tone out of a 5" snare either - just tune it down some and bingo - there it is.

The one snare I had that was 6.5" was a Pearl Steve Ferrone signature snare drum that I bought used for a great deal, and the reason I sold it was because it was too much drum for my uses - drumming for a mid-sized church's worship band.

In any case, I don't drink the deep snare Kool Aid - it's just not my thing and I'll take a 5" snare over a 6.5" any day.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

5. Registered User

Try it and see wht you think first.

For the longest time I used a brass piccolo as my main snare. Gradually I have got deeper and although I swap the snares around abit, I tend to end up with a 6.5 depth snare. Either a Steve Ferrone, an ultracast or an MHX. They all have a lot of body and depth. But I do have a 12x7 pearl maple snare and that really cracks. So it all depends on the snare material, heads and tuning. I do have 14x8. I find that too deep. Not because of the sound but because I can't set it up low enough.

6. Conor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
    What kind of sound and volume should I expect from this snare?
    Well, uh...it might sound good...and it might sound crap...or somewhere in between. It could be loud, or it could be quiet. Or both. Why not?

I understand you're probably excited as hell, but just wait until you get the drum and find out for yourself. Put some fresh heads and snares on it, tune it up to your liking, and then tell US how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Drum Lad View Post
    Well if it's a Mapex Pro M, then the shell is pretty thin and the bearing edges are a single 45 degree. This will give it a lot of resonance. Especially with that depth.
    Don't listen to this pseudo sound theory crap. It's all BS and means nothing. The fact is...no one here is going to be able to tell you what to expect...well, other than a shell, with some hardware on it, and maybe some heads if you're lucky.
    Last edited by cjbee; 02-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.

7. Yeah, it's back.

I love both shallow and deep snares. I have a 14"x5.5" Mapex Pro-M (split lug) with Die-Cast hoops and that thing is a killer. I absolutely love it. It has a "thwack" that'll punch you in the gut. I also have a 14"x8" 8-ply Maple snare (Dark Horse Percussion) and I love that just as much. I really enjoy the feel of deeper snares and the power behind them as well. There's just something about them that tickles my fancy.

Anyway, the two snares that I mentioned aren't really different as far as volume goes. In other words, the 14"x8" isn't too loud at all. It's really powerful and aggressive (if that makes sense), but by no means 'too loud'.

I say mess around with the 14"x7" Pro-M for a while until you reach a conclusion based on your ears. Not what you think it'll be. Definitely give it a shot, though. Because I know from experience that Pro-M snares are killer!
    For Sale:
    -(2x) DW 9700 stands
    -DW 9000 snare stand
    -Pork Pie round throne (black swirl top/silver sparkle base)
    -14"x8" Dark Horse custom snare (champagne glitter, full length tube lugs)
    -16" K Dark Crash
    -(cracked) 24" K Light Ride
    -(cracked) 16" Paiste Prototype Crash

8. Odery Privilege

My 12x7 is freakin awsome... although i think its little more touchy tuning wise but i think the depth gives the sound heap more body.

Yeah they might be a "trend" as some people say... but it really comes down to what you'd rather... I would suggest (if you havnt already) go get some new (and decent) skins for it... maybe even new snare wires if the current ones look a little old... experiment with some different tunings and see if you get a sound you like out of it... if not... just sell it...
    Check my Odery Kit out here and here
    Cymbals supplied by www.cymbalvault.com.au Sticks supplied by Silverfox
    My Band: By Design
    Down our whole album FREE from www.by-design.com.au

9. Rockin' The Suburbs

I love my 14"x8" Black Panther. I've tuned it low, it produces a nice deep thwack, and just the other night I cranked it up for a tight pop with loads of body. I also love my 14"x5" Acrolite, as well as my 12"x6" Keller Snare.

Anyways, i'd say try out the snare for a while, experiment with different tunings, heads, etc, and if you don't love it, sell it and get something else.

10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drumerboi_aust View Post
    My 12x7 is freakin awsome
    I love my 7x12 30 ply vented maple as well. Great size.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

11. This is just a tribute

I think that a lot of it for me is simply in adjusting to something else. I've been playing short, 14" snares for pretty much my whole time as a drummer, so I'm used to a certain sound and feel - one is not necessarily "better," only what I'm used to.

One day I'd like to get a nice 6.5" Aluminum snare - I know that's not deep compared to the 7" and 8" snares floating around there, but I think it would be a good drum nonetheless.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

12. ...mini-van. maxi-love.

I have drums of all sizes and I'm glad that I do.. it's interesting to try different sounds with the band, maybe the sweetest drum for the band is something I wouldn't have anticipated..

make room in your heart for the deeper shell..you'll be happy.
    Drumsjoe:
    AHA Custom Drums, usually a 4-pc for my bands

8x14 brass free-floater, FOR SALE

a bunch of snares
    a bunch of Zildjians
    Vater, mostly Aquarian