Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

I rubbed in two coats of Watco's teak oil on my drums. You need complete dissasembly but this isn't rocket science. It makes them look MUCH better as it has a slight amber color tone and brings out the grain. You dont need to sand anything and it's very hard to screw up. It brightened the sound somewhat but cant measure this. Just need the oil and a rag. Again not rocket science but it may devalue the drums in someones eyes but not mine.
    I wanted the interior sealed and now it's sealed.

2. Registered User

In fact this post reminded me that I hadn't done the kick drum yet. In between this post and the one above I stripped it and finished it. When I get home from work I will reassemble it if the bearing edges are dry. I think they will be because it's quite dry down here. but maybe I reassemble tomorow morning. Whatever.
    Another good thing about the oil is it doesn't stink up the house. It's unlikely that breathing the fumes is a good idea though so some of ventilation is required. Beats polyurethane though.
    If you do decide to muck around with your brand new lovely kit, check into the warranty and make sure you don't void it, should you ever need it.
    Check out my pearlized mapex beater kit in the 2nd pic!

3. Cymbalminded fool.

^- I did the same to my drums, with Johnson's teak oil, with the idea to seal them off from moisture. It did bring some more color to the wood, and it gained a nice little lustre. Nothing anyone with a screwdriver and some spare time couldn't do.
    Pearl Vision VSX Orange Sparkle
    pAiSTe
    2oo2 - Giant Beat

Trust yourself - trust your ears.

4. The Fight Revisited.

So tung oil isn't going to brighten the sound by any means? It just enhances the wood grain?

Reason I'm asking, I don't have a kit right now. But I've considered buying just a used beater kit and fixing it up to meet my exact needs. But I understand not all drums are sealed. The kits that I've played which were the most enjoyable to me had lacquer inside, and I might need to know how to accomplish this easily on a lower end kit. I wouldn't be risking a custom DW or anything like that.

5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Genius Switch View Post
    So tung oil isn't going to brighten the sound by any means? It just enhances the wood grain?

Reason I'm asking, I don't have a kit right now. But I've considered buying just a used beater kit and fixing it up to meet my exact needs. But I understand not all drums are sealed. The kits that I've played which were the most enjoyable to me had lacquer inside, and I might need to know how to accomplish this easily on a lower end kit. I wouldn't be risking a custom DW or anything like that.

Sealing the inside of a drum shell will have an impact on sound. But not so much that you would be able to say that without it, the kit does not sound good. The fact that your saying that all the kits you played and liked had an interior lacquer is simply a coincidence. It's not the reason alone they sounded so good. I assure you, if you had a Masters kits side by side, one with interior lacquer, one without, most people would bareley be able to tell. It's noticeable most if you know to listen for the characteristics of it.

You are not going to be able to buy a lower end kit and then by adding an interior finish make it sound that much better.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
    Sealing the inside of a drum shell will have an impact on sound. But not so much that you would be able to say that without it, the kit does not sound good. The fact that your saying that all the kits you played and liked had an interior lacquer is simply a coincidence. It's not the reason alone they sounded so good. I assure you, if you had a Masters kits side by side, one with interior lacquer, one without, most people would bareley be able to tell. It's noticeable most if you know to listen for the characteristics of it.

You are not going to be able to buy a lower end kit and then by adding an interior finish make it sound that much better.
    I would agree with this for the most part. In theory it should change the sound but in reality it's so slight as to hardly be noticable. Ears have a bad memory anyway so PERHAPS side by side comparison might be the only way to hear a difference. I say perhaps, because I havent done a side by side. I dont have 2 of the same drum. My biggest gain in doing this is that I enjoy tweaking things. The kit sounded great before and after but it's humid in my basement during the summer so I will feel marginally less worried about things.

7. Registered User

I agree with Slip that adding lacquer isn't gonna make a crappy kit sound good. But if you want to add lacquer to the inside of your shells, all you need is:

and

Remove all hardware. Mask the bearing edges and wipe on the acrylic in thin layers. The pads work a lot better than brushes or foam for keeping bubbles out of the finish. The water-based acrylic is really easy to work with. Use several thin coats (4-6) rather than fewer thick coats. And use the semi-gloss or satin finish unless you want super glossy, shiny shell interiors.

The only hardware you'll likely need to replace are the air vents unless the shells already have screw-on vents.
    FOR SALE: 22" Sabian HH Powerbell Ride -- exec. condition. PM me if you're interested.