Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Rare Pearl toms.

Anyone that have one of these drums? And pictures of it.
    1: 8" GLX tom
    2: 8 DLX tom
    3: 14" GLX floortom
    4: 14" DLX floortom

2. Registered User

I'm very doubtful that those really exist... Like I said in another post, I see those drums in those sizes as being sort of like bigfoot or the yeti. I've heard that some have them, but have never seen nor confirmed anything - no pictures yet. I know for a fact that there have been a few folks that have modified or counterfeited those sizes to match and make them look like they were original, but I've yet to ever see an original of them. I know, because I'm one of them (my 8" MRX converted w/GLX hardware). Remember that when those drums were produced in the 80's, that HUGE tom sizes were in. I could see the 8" tom existing more than I could see the 14" FT - 14" was mostly a mounted tom size back then. Also, I don't recall seeing those in the catalog (maybe there was an 8"), but my memory could be a little cloudy. It has been "many" years.

I truly hope they do exist because I'd love to get my hands on the GLX's in those sizes...

So... someone please show us the GLX's and DLX's!!!!

3. Registered User

I've found one. Looking for the other now.......
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pearl Custom Z 10-12-13-16, 24, 18
    DW Collectors 10-12-14-22
    Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22
    68 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16;
    WFL/Ludwig WMP 22-13-16; 14
    80's Gretsch 14-18-24
    WANTED: Custom Z 8", 14" toms; FOR SALE: Ludwig Blue Marble 12-13-16-16-18-22; Vistalite 13-14-15-16-18-24

4. Registered User

Lol!

5. Registered User

From Pearl Pro Series 1984 catalogue. I think Pearl had 14" floortom for DLX-series later, but i am not sure..
    Attached Images Attached Images   

6. Registered User

AHA! I did remember seeing the 8" in there... Didn't remember that 14" FT though... I had recently seen another GLX catalog (probably from 85 or 86) that did not have those sizes listed. Now, I'd like to see some ACTUAL drums!!!

7. Registered User

ahh, I remember that catalogue well.

8. Pearl does it for me

My copy of the 1986 Price list shows that:

an 8" x 8" (208D) tom was available for the GLX, MLX, MX, DLX and DX series. Not available for the WLX, WX World series nor the EX Export Series.

It also shows that, for the MX series only, there are prices for a mounted tom (and also a concert tom) in 5 1/2" x 6, 8" x 6" and 5 1/2" x 8". If peeps are having trouble even finding an owner/picture of an 8" mounted tom, then these other three babies have to be rarer than rocking horse manure.

As for the 14" x 14" (2114) floor tom, it was available for the MX series only.

Peeps often wonder about the other floor tom sizes too, so at least in '86:
    16' x 16" was available for all GLX, MLX, MX, DLX, DX, WLX, WX, EX
    16" x 18" was available for all GLX, MLX, MX, DLX, DX, WLX, WX, EX
    18" x 18" was available for MX only

It's interesting to note that the 6" toms were not available in the catalogue DLX100 posted from '84.

So it seems there was really only a perhaps a 12 (maybe 18) month period where many of the 8" drums for a given series were actually available to buy...
    If that's the case, then I imagine there are very few about, or even none.

Hope this helps.

9. Registered User

Looking at the pages from 84 catalogue if think i ad 14*22 and 14*24 bassdrums to the list. I dont think many of those where made.

10. Registered User

My sequoia red dlx has a 14 x 14 floor tom but it was with a jazz shell pack set up which was only available to buy in the uk and only for about 6 months at the end of 87', only seq red, walnut or natural birch finishes were available. i reckon theres only about 4 or 5 of this dlx incarnation in seq red in the world and i've only seen one other which was falling to pieces.What a glorious colour eh? The sizes are 20x14, 10x6.5 (this tom's actually a '83-84' dx model professionally stripped and resprayed), 12x8, 13x9, 14x14FT, 14x6.5 maple Freefloater also in seq red (shell i use now is aluminium though). Further trawling of my numerous ads/catalogues reveals that this was the very last incarnation of the Dlx which Pearl Uk called the Dlx Jazz Studio and was available from May '87 to some point early '88 as no further mention is given to it in any '88 catalogues or supplements. 20x14 and 18 x14 bass drums and 10x8,12x8,13x9,14x14Floor toms were the only drums available in these finishes and sizes at that point in time.

Last edited by robbie mcnaughton; 10-07-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: spelling

11. Registered User

oh incidentally, i have been offered a tama starclassic bubinga so the little lady may just have to have a final polish and then go to a good home, if anyone is interested drop me a line and we can have a chat.

12. Registered User

The GLX 8*8 tom. Not a yeti or bigfoot anymore..
    Attached Images Attached Images