Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Peart's Understudy

Default Do Pearl serial numbers mean anything, or are they just sequential numbers?

Does the serial number on a Pearl drum directly relate to anything about the construction of the drum (series, color, year it was built, etc), or are they simply sequential numbers of units coming off the assembly line. I’m just wondering if they are anything like vehicle identification numbers where most digits represent something that you can identify (brand, year, engine, body style, etc).

For example, the company I work for has all serial numbers in the format of two digits for the year followed by a letter representing the month and then five-digit sequential numbers for order of production within that month. So if I’m out at a customer’s facility and they want to make a warranty claim for serial number 98E02584, I know that product was built in 1998, May (E=5), and was the 2,584th unit off the line during that month. “Sorry sir, you’re well past the 1 year warranty…”

Just curious what I can learn about my drums more than anything else. If there is something you can tell me about them, the serial numbers in question are:

Thanks,
    Ryan J

Reference (Natural Maple) 2009-Pres 8x7 10x8 12x9 13x10 14x14 16x16 22x18
    Export (Jet Black) 1988-2009 8 10 12 13 16 22
    Pioneer 93,94,95 Back-2-Back DCI Champs
    Chops Inc 06 DCA Championship High Percussion
    Racine Kilties 03,04,05,08,10,11 DCA Finalist

2. Gumbercules

I'm thinking likely it is the same as all drum manufacturers and really means nothing. However, if you really wanted to check I would say PM Al Percival or Gene Okamoto to see if they happen to know.

3. Pearl does it for me

I believe it is only the current series of Reference and Masterworks (perhaps Masters) that have serial numbers recorded by Pearl with date of manufacture etc...

So that would be of no use for your export kit.

Apparently the only use of serial numbers on the older kits is for insurance purposes.

4. Pearl Corporation USA

Pearl only keeps records of Masterworks S/N because Masterworks is a custom series. The serial numbers on Reference, Masters Premium, are used for insurance purposes only.
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Play Drums!

| Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Vater |

5. Pearl does it for me

Thanks Al,
    I was close but no prize lol

6. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    Thanks Al,
    I was close but no prize lol
    We do have a date system on the paper badge on the inside of the Vision shell but all it tells you is the month and year a Vision kit was manufactured.
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Play Drums!

| Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Vater |

7. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    We do have a date system on the paper badge on the inside of the Vision shell but all it tells you is the month and year a Vision kit was manufactured.
    Oh that's handy to know, thanks Al!
    In 20 years time when someone asks when their Vision kit was made, we should be able to point them Pearl's way and they can get an answer