Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. I'm the GD Batman

Default DIY E-Ride cymbal

I'll have to post some pics when I get home, but I'm about halfway happy with the results so far. I have a Roland TD-3 kit, but the ride part has always bugged me. The CY-8 cymbals are nice, but they lack the response you get from riding on an actual metal surface with no give. So I decided to make my own, and split the dual trigger that the cymbal gives. I was already maxed out on inputs on the module, since I had an extra tom.

So I got a dirt cheap 16" cymbal at a thrift store, and slapped a piezo on the underside. Since I don't want the sound of the actual cymbal, I got some 3M underbody spray rubber (for vehicles). I sprayed the entire underside (minus the center and the electronics) and the top side minus a 30 section or so where I'll be playing. Time will tell how well the rubber holds up, or whether it'll get ugly or fall apart. It still has a little bit of sound, and can rotate so the play section turns away, so I plan on drilling some holes near the edge of the play section. I'll mount some washers for weight to keep that part towards me, and to further deaden the sound. Also, I need to bolt a project box or at least the jack to the cymbal; I tried epoxy to keep it there, but a few good hits and it was hanging by the wire.

I also may try a different material for attaching the piezo itself. I had epoxy'd it on directly, but it is a little too sensitive to every breeze that touches the cymbal. The CY-8 piezo was attached with some double sided tape foam, and that seems to give it just enough separation.

As for the existing CY-8, I basically diverted the wiring for the existing bell piezo to a mono 1/8" jack to run a wire to my new cymbal. I left the ribbon wire that goes to the edge of the cymbal alone, as I want to still use the CY-8, just as a single-zone cymbal.

Upon completion, I had the ride setup to my right and the old CY-8 down and right of that. On my real kit I like to ride switching between a similar setup, ride/crash with my right. However, the module didn't like this too much, as in the sounds didn't like to overlap very well. So I moved my unmodified CY-8 to the right side, and moved the modified one over the hihat. So now I have a single zone cymbal on my left, and moving right the ride, and finally a dual-zone cymbal with a crash sound on the bell, and a china on the edge. Not a bad setup for a cheaper Roland!

Pictures to be posted tonight!

Later I want to make all mesh pads out of some cheap tom shells, to upgrade from the PD-8 rubber pads. They really aren't that difficult to construct, and the most expensive part is the drums, depending on how cheap you can get them. Each one gives me two shells, since I'll be cutting them in half anyways.
    My Last.fm profile | My Youtube Vids

Virgil Donati Snare | Omar Hakim Snare |Pearl BRX | Gibraltar Rack | IC/Elim Hybrid Dbl v2.0 (Inventor) | Sabian/Paiste

2. Christian's Drummer Army

Wow man, sounds really creative. I'm actually in the process of converting my acoustic kit to a hybrid for apartment playing, but i'm doing it on a budget (15, jobless haha). About how much did this project set you back? Would you recomend that I just buy roland/yamaha ones rather?
    PEARL - ZILDJIAN - REMO - VIC FIRTH - LP

http://allthingsgear.com/: All the latest news and reviews on all the latest music gear

3. Registered User

Hey Deepthought,

Take some pics and post them, I always enjoy a successful electronic conversion.

I made my ride cymbal as well. Dual zone, works great. What I did is take 2 16" crashes and drill holes in them and bolt them together, which kills pretty much all resonance and helps with the triggering. I have some adhesive neoprene rubber on the bottom cymbal and on the playing surface I used a thin layer of natural gum rubber. The bell is from a cracked splash cymbal a friend gave me. I cut out the size I wanted, added a piezo and some foam so it will separate the bell from the main ride cymbal to avoid crosstalk.

So there is one piezo on the bell, which is wired through the main cymbal and into a project box, which houses the piezo for the bow. They are both wired to a stereo 1/4" output jack which runs to my Roland TMC6.

Anyway, food for thought if you wanted to make it dual zone. All parts were from Radio Shack other than the foam.

J
    Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
    Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
    Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
    Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
    Sabian and Paiste cymbals

4. I'm the GD Batman

Sorry for the delay! Here's some pics. Like I said, I need to mount some more below the cymbal, to fully mount the jack for the cable for one. I also may use a new piezo with foam, to match the CY-8 style.

As to the total price Christian01, it's not that expensive. The piezo is about $2, and the cymbal can be as cheap as you can find it, or something else metal.

I would love to make it dual zone, but my TD-3 is out of inputs! So making it a single zone actually works to my advantage, so I have two separate entities to hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Virgil Donati Snare | Omar Hakim Snare |Pearl BRX | Gibraltar Rack | IC/Elim Hybrid Dbl v2.0 (Inventor) | Sabian/Paiste

5. I just hit things...

Brilliant. Let us know how it holds up.
    Pearl MW/Ref Wine Red with Gold Hardware 18x22 (x2), 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, 8x10, 8x8, 7x6, 5.5x14 snare
    Masterworks: 14x5.5 snare, 6x7 rack tom Pictures post #1
    Reference: Pictures post#1,35,58,68,69
    Pics: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?u=92744
    WANTED: Gold Pearl Hardware. PM me.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    Sorry for the delay! Here's some pics. Like I said, I need to mount some more below the cymbal, to fully mount the jack for the cable for one. I also may use a new piezo with foam, to match the CY-8 style.

As to the total price Christian01, it's not that expensive. The piezo is about $2, and the cymbal can be as cheap as you can find it, or something else metal.

I would love to make it dual zone, but my TD-3 is out of inputs! So making it a single zone actually works to my advantage, so I have two separate entities to hit.
    You should put the piezo in a little project box like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
    Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
    Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
    Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
    Sabian and Paiste cymbals

7. I'm the GD Batman

Quote Originally Posted by JrummerJ View Post
    You should put the piezo in a little project box like this:
    That is exactly my aim! That'll help deaden the sound quite a bit too. I think all the boxes I have here are way too big for the need. Another trip to Radioshack!

8. Christian's Drummer Army

That looks really good mate!
    PEARL - ZILDJIAN - REMO - VIC FIRTH - LP

http://allthingsgear.com/: All the latest news and reviews on all the latest music gear

9. Abomination of desolation

Great!
    Beneath a summer sky
    Under glass moonlight
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival
    Liquid shadows crawl
    Silver teardrops fall
    The bride subsides to her survival

Ref Crystal Rain Army!!!

10. I'm the GD Batman

Had to deal with some headache's before this was finished.. I thought at first I could just split the two inputs of the CY-8 and call it a day. Not so! The cymbal is not two piezo's, but rather a piezo on the bow, and a switch in the edge. The edge actually gets it's velocity info from the bow piezo. So by moving that piezo to another location, the switch no longer functioned correctly.

There are some circuits that work around this, tricking the TD-3 into seeing two piezo's instead of a piezo/switch, but they weren't giving me much results. Since I was going to use the edge of the CY-8 and play the 'bow' on a different cymbal, I wondered if I could just duplicate the piezo and wire two in parallel. Sure enough, it worked!

So I just have the CY-8 as it was originally, and then wired a piezo on the cymbal, and shared the connections. Boom!