I'll have to post some pics when I get home, but I'm about halfway happy with the results so far. I have a Roland TD-3 kit, but the ride part has always bugged me. The CY-8 cymbals are nice, but they lack the response you get from riding on an actual metal surface with no give. So I decided to make my own, and split the dual trigger that the cymbal gives. I was already maxed out on inputs on the module, since I had an extra tom.
So I got a dirt cheap 16" cymbal at a thrift store, and slapped a piezo on the underside. Since I don't want the sound of the actual cymbal, I got some 3M underbody spray rubber (for vehicles). I sprayed the entire underside (minus the center and the electronics) and the top side minus a 30° section or so where I'll be playing. Time will tell how well the rubber holds up, or whether it'll get ugly or fall apart. It still has a little bit of sound, and can rotate so the play section turns away, so I plan on drilling some holes near the edge of the play section. I'll mount some washers for weight to keep that part towards me, and to further deaden the sound. Also, I need to bolt a project box or at least the jack to the cymbal; I tried epoxy to keep it there, but a few good hits and it was hanging by the wire.
I also may try a different material for attaching the piezo itself. I had epoxy'd it on directly, but it is a little too sensitive to every breeze that touches the cymbal. The CY-8 piezo was attached with some double sided tape foam, and that seems to give it just enough separation.
As for the existing CY-8, I basically diverted the wiring for the existing bell piezo to a mono 1/8" jack to run a wire to my new cymbal. I left the ribbon wire that goes to the edge of the cymbal alone, as I want to still use the CY-8, just as a single-zone cymbal.
Upon completion, I had the ride setup to my right and the old CY-8 down and right of that. On my real kit I like to ride switching between a similar setup, ride/crash with my right. However, the module didn't like this too much, as in the sounds didn't like to overlap very well. So I moved my unmodified CY-8 to the right side, and moved the modified one over the hihat. So now I have a single zone cymbal on my left, and moving right the ride, and finally a dual-zone cymbal with a crash sound on the bell, and a china on the edge. Not a bad setup for a cheaper Roland!
Pictures to be posted tonight!
Later I want to make all mesh pads out of some cheap tom shells, to upgrade from the PD-8 rubber pads. They really aren't that difficult to construct, and the most expensive part is the drums, depending on how cheap you can get them. Each one gives me two shells, since I'll be cutting them in half anyways.