Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Zildjian vs Meinl

Hey guys I'm thinking of changing my cymbals from Zildjian to Meinl. What Meinl cymbals would compare to my current set up???

14" A Custom Mastersound hi hat
    18" and 20" A Projection Crashes
    21" A Sweet Ride (ideally I'd like a 22")
    18" Oriental Classic China
    Pearl Reference Pure
    22x18,10x8,12x9,14x14,16x14
    Pearl and Sonor Snares
    Pearl Pedals
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Tama Hardware
    Pro Mark Sticks

2. I love cymbals!!!

zildjian and meinl's are completely different sounds in my opinion. mb20s will be the only thing you can compare to zildjians as they are the only b20 c ymbals meinl makes (i beileve) Anything in the meinl mb20 range will sound similar to a customs, however the rides will be more silvery than any zildjian. check out all the meinl lines, soundcasters, mb10s, mb20s, and byzance's.
    My youtube page full of Paiste/Zildjian/Sabian Videos
    www.youtube.com/srgebel

Paiste Alpha Brilliant goodness!!!!

3. Conor

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_Shells
    What Meinl cymbals would compare to my current set up??
    None.

Not a very well thought out question, to be honest.

4. Registered User

What's wrong with your current array?

5. Immortality has its Privelages

Ok well first of all, Meinl make mb20s and Byzance all of B20 bronze.

IN my (admittedly) limited experience with Meinl none will match up too too well with what you have. As for Hats I'd try Byzance Brillant, Meinl makes a jazz sweet ride but it is far darker and trashier then an avedis sweet ride. I'd probably try comparing a Meinl 23" traditional Byzance next to the sweet ride. For projection crashes, I'd probably compare to similiarly sized Byzance brilliant. Cause Projection crashe are med-thin and anything in the mb20 line is med-heavy or heavy... All of the Meinls listed above will but a little darker and dirtier then the Zils you listed, but are all great cymbals and the closest I could think of. As with Zildjian cast all mb20s and Byzance will be different from cymbal to cymbal though, probably even more so then Zildjian since the are all hand-hammered.

Meinl has many nice chinas, but none that I've played sound like the Zil oriental. Here's the question though: If you like your current set-up (which you must or you wouldn't be looking to match the sounds) why make the change?

6. stophd.org

If your changing just for the name, I'd keep what you have. You obviously like the sound since your trying to match it with a different brand.

Anyway, I'd say go to their website and listen to the sound samples. Also, www.cymbalsonly.com have sound samples of the actual cymbals they are selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat
    im a philosphical genius
    FS: 16" Sabian Metal X crash raw bell original owner PM me
    My Kit:D

I sell T-shirts! deaf_white_kitty on the bay.

7. is a robot

Quote Originally Posted by MrPowerRide
    mb20s will be the only thing you can compare to zildjians as they are the only b20 c ymbals meinl makes
    wrong.

to the op, why do you want to switch if you want something that compares to your current set-up? you should make up your own mind, go play some.
    vater : pearl : meinl : evans

my youtube

pearl masters brp
    latest pics: p9
    white marine pearl
    20x18
    14x14
    12x8

WWW.ONE.ORG

8. I love cymbals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    wrong.

to the op, why do you want to switch if you want something that compares to your current set-up? you should make up your own mind, go play some.
    you failed to quote me correctly, you took out the "i believe" i forgot about the byzance.
    My youtube page full of Paiste/Zildjian/Sabian Videos
    www.youtube.com/srgebel

Paiste Alpha Brilliant goodness!!!!

9. Registered User

If you want to be cool make sure you switch over to all Meinl Byzance cymbals and play them low and flat. That will give you the best sound EVER.

10. Heavy Metal Drummer

I just traded some of my Sabians to Meinl Soundcaster and MB10 and they sounds better IMO.

Not much help maybe. :P
    MY KIT PEARL BRX IN #154 MIDNIGHT FADE..........Drumming is all about freedom of expression.......... MY BAND VALKYRJA. SWEDISH BLACKMETAL!

11. Registered User

meinl doesnt make the byzance or the mb20, its just designed by them, they are made in murat diril's factory in turkey along with the paiste twenty's. so you can't compare them to other meinl lines.
    i'd say mb10 or byzance stuff though. i swapped my 21" brilliant sweet ride for a 21" brilliant byzance medium ride. then swapped that for a 22" k dark medium ride which was best of all of them. haha

My guess is if you get the following you will be happy

14" brilliant byzance hi hats
    18" and 20" brilliant byzance Crashes
    22" or 21" medium or heavy byzance ride
    18" byzance China

12. Registered Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_Shells
    Hey guys I'm thinking of changing my cymbals from Zildjian to Meinl. What Meinl cymbals would compare to my current set up???

14" A Custom Mastersound hi hat
    18" and 20" A Projection Crashes
    21" A Sweet Ride (ideally I'd like a 22")
    18" Oriental Classic China
    I'd say stick with what you have. Don't switch a brand simply for the namesake. As said before, Meinls & Zildjians sound completely different from each other, despite both companies having their own cast bronze ranges.

Before you ask a question like that, make sure you go & try them out first. Go to the nearest store & try them out one by one.

Also, don't base your decisions on sound samples from the internet. Not every sound sample will be as accurate as they claim to be, due to every cymbal varying from sound to sound, from company to company.

Besides, that's not a bad set-up. What's wrong with it? If anything, I'd simply switch to different Zildjians. If I had o pick on my personal decision, I'd change the A Custom Mastersounds to 14" A Brilliant New Beats & the Sweet Ride to a 22" A Custom Medium Ride (God, that thing is great! Extremely versatile, too!). But, that's my 2 cents.