Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFX Vs. MTS

1. Drum Ninja

Default FFX Vs. MTS

I am thinking of getting a new marching snare. I am thinking about getting an FFX but I'm also considering the MTS from Yamaha. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the MTS double snare. I had a premier double pipe snare that sounded great but it was really heavy. Is the MTS really worth the extra money? Thanks
    Pearl MCX in Red Glass w/chrome hardware. 22x18, 20x18, 18x14, 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16
    Pearl Reference in Midnight Fade w/chrome hardware. 22x20, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13
    14x5 Maple Free Floater in Natural Maple
    14x5 Ultracast
    14x5&14x6.5 Brass Sensitone
    14x6.5 Kapur Limited Edition

2. is ridiculous...

I used the Yamaha MTS throughout high school and I think I can help you here.

Honestly, we rarely used the double snare system, it's very bright, very loud, cutting...it's great for effects, but I wouldn't consider playing a solo or anything on it- the articulation is almost too much.

The Yamaha with the double snare system weighs a good 3-5 lbs more than the non MTS version and is also a bit more expensive.

If you want to have that extra snare sound to mess around with then by all means get the MTS, but money wise, you're better off getting either the FFX, the sFx (non-MTS drum) or a standard 14x12 Dynasty. You'll get the same sound from any of those drums if you get the non-MTS versions.

If you do get a marching snare, make sure you get a high tension key as well, if you don't your normal keys with snap due to the tension you'll have to put the top head under.

Hope this helps man.
    Drumset:
    Pearl Vision VBX - Orange Zest|Meinl Cymbals|Evans Drumheads|Innovative Percussion and Vater drumsticks

Marching:
    Yamaha MTS 14x12 Snare|Dynasty 14x12 Snare|Ludwig Challenger 15x13 Snare

3. Brett Favre is my hero

^very good post.

I'd reccomend diong some research on the sound of these drums. Find out which corps use Yamaha (the most well known are the cavies and the cadets) and listen to the different snare sounds. I dont know if these corps use the sFz or the MTS. If you can figure this out, it'll definately help you to decide. based on sound. You could probably find a good comparison on youtube.

But I honestly think that the FFX is a better choice, regardless. Thats just me though. High quality, tried and true, great drum Yamaha drums are nothing to turn your nose up at though..still high quality equipment.

Do you plan on using this drum to march with?

sorry for the scatterbrained post...I'm freakin' tired haha. Hope it helped.

4. Brett Favre is my hero

theres a few good posts in this thread that may help you

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=210768

5. is ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye
    ^very good post.

I'd reccomend diong some research on the sound of these drums. Find out which corps use Yamaha (the most well known are the cavies and the cadets) and listen to the different snare sounds. I dont know if these corps use the sFz or the MTS. If you can figure this out, it'll definately help you to decide. based on sound. You could probably find a good comparison on youtube.

But I honestly think that the FFX is a better choice, regardless. Thats just me though. High quality, tried and true, great drum Yamaha drums are nothing to turn your nose up at though..still high quality equipment.

Do you plan on using this drum to march with?

sorry for the scatterbrained post...I'm freakin' tired haha. Hope it helped.

Not the most scatterbrained post ever, but close, haha.

The corps that currently use Yamaha drums are-

The Cavaliers- sFx
    Bluecoats- sFx
    The Cadets- sFx
    Madison Scouts- sFx
    Carolina Crown- sFx
    Crossmen- sFx

However, sometimes the corps get sent the MTS version and they just remove the top snare system...there's no real point to having the extra weight if you aren't going to use it. I think The Cavaliers use the MTS sometimes, maybe The Cadets as well. I know Blue, MS, and CC don't...not sure on X-men.

I think as far as personal use, the FFX is your best bet- Redeye is dead on with what he said.
    Drumset:
    Pearl Vision VBX - Orange Zest|Meinl Cymbals|Evans Drumheads|Innovative Percussion and Vater drumsticks

Marching:

6. Drum Ninja

I appreciate everyone's help. I will mostly be using this as a practice snare as we have snares at my job to use. The only time I would take it out is if I decided to join another pipe band. That's one of the main reasons I was looking at the MTS, because I could get the double snare sound needed for pipe band but still get the single snare used by most corps.
    Pearl MCX in Red Glass w/chrome hardware. 22x18, 20x18, 18x14, 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16
    Pearl Reference in Midnight Fade w/chrome hardware. 22x20, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13
    14x5 Maple Free Floater in Natural Maple
    14x5 Ultracast
    14x5&14x6.5 Brass Sensitone
    14x6.5 Kapur Limited Edition

7. Registered User

For what it's worth,

Many of the corps mentioned here that are using Yamaha are NOT using off-the-shelf Yamaha birch shells. They are custom made from the Yamaha Custom Shop with maple, so if you like the way, let's say, the Cadets sound, you won't get there buying a Yamaha snare from your dealer. Maple and birch sound very different, so if you order an off-the-shelf Yamaha, it might sound quite diffrent than you might think. Cavaliers, I believe, do the same thing.
    If you want a great snare sound, get a Pearl. Guaranteed to sound great. And maple. And, you're supporting the company that hosts this forum.
    Ask the American Indians what happens when you don't control immigration....

Colts Percussion staff/consultant 07, 08, 09

8. ↓ ↘ → P

Yeah i've been thinking of getting an SFX or standard Dynasty, big price difference.

Dynasty $380
    SFX- $469

Played both and its a tough call for me.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

9. is ridiculous...

As an owner of the Dynasty I'm going to have to say go for that. The money you save between the two can be used to get yourself a proper top head (White/Black Max; Evans Hybrid; etc)

But...on the flipside, the sFx is an awesome snare, so either way you're going to get a great drum; and contrary to the popular stigma of "Dynasty sucks; Pearl/Yamaha are the only way to go"; you can tune Dynasty's to sound amazing (Phantom Regiment '08).

You can't go wrong either way.
    Drumset:

Marching:

10. ↓ ↘ → P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Intensity
    As an owner of the Dynasty I'm going to have to say go for that. The money you save between the two can be used to get yourself a proper top head (White/Black Max; Evans Hybrid; etc)

But...on the flipside, the sFx is an awesome snare, so either way you're going to get a great drum; and contrary to the popular stigma of "Dynasty sucks; Pearl/Yamaha are the only way to go"; you can tune Dynasty's to sound amazing (Phantom Regiment '08).

You can't go wrong either way.
    Exactly, they are all top of the line. I actually think i might go with a Pearl FFX. Only problem i don't know if i want 13'' or 14''.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

11. is ridiculous...

I'd say go with the 14". You're going to be more likely to use that size....well, anywhere. 13"s are usually for smaller groups or indoor groups, but they are still awesome. If I were you, I would get the 14" for sure.
    Drumset:

Marching:

12. Retired Soldier

I didn't see you list the FFX-P, which is the Pearl Pipe Band Drum. It is easily on par with the Premier double snare HTS-800. I own both the FFX-P and a Premier HTS-700 and both are GREAT drums.

http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Pi...ipe-Snare.aspx
    http://www.premier-percussion.com/catalogue.asp?id=901

The only problem I've EVER had with Premiers is that the Wrap always splits, however in the new 800 it looks like their drums are now a laquer finish which should solve that.

The Pearl gives you a choice of Birch OR Maple shell, where as the Premier is only 6 ply Birch.

If you are going to play with another Pipe Band, then it would be hard to buy a drum not knowing which colors your next band will have. If you are looking to have a drum to practice on, and possibly either compete as an individual OR perform as an individual (perhaps a little pipe trio or something like that), then I would say you should get a FFX-P, HTS-800, FTS.

There's ALSO the Premier HTS-400 that is a 14x7 Double snare that you could look at. It has the double snares but saves the weight in the overall SIZE of the drum. I've never played one, but I am DEFINATELY interested. That would be cool for indoor "concerts".
    http://www.premier-percussion.com/catalogue.asp?id=903
    Don't try so hard, the world needs Ditch Diggers TOO!!!!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals