Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Jazz Hands.

Default Best drum mutes?

In the fall semister, I will be placing a small kit (snare,bass,floor tom, hats, crash ride) in my dorm room. Obviously the noise will be a problem. What are the best mutes to get for a kit, but won't kill the overall tone of the drums, and still make playing enjoyable?
    Pearl VLX in Black Fade - 12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x"16',v22"x18", Steel Senistone Snare.
    14" AAX-celerator Hats, 18' HHX Prototype, 19" AAX-plosion Fast Crash, 20" AA Orchestral, 21" HHX Legacy, 22" Dream Bliss

2. sexified

I have a full set of Sound Off drum pads on my drums and cymbals. I have a big kit (2 bass drums, 4 rack toms, 1 floor tom, a bunch of cymbals). I live in an apartment and the sound is manageable. I don't play after 8pm out of courtesy. The tone of each drum is still very clear and the rubber make-up is great for building up chops. They have packages with fusion sizes for your kit and then you'd need a 16" (I suppose). If guitar center ships to you, spend a little time finding the best price online and then email them the links to pricematch. That's what I do every time I buy something and it's always worked perfectly.

3. sexified

by the way, HQ makes the Sound Offs and their "real feel" practice pads are known as being the best available.

Interstate music had the best prices, I think, when I ordered mine.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...L&srchRDsp=YES

4. Registered User

There are best ones?
    jk.

I used pro-mark ones. Now because I haven't had any experience with others I can compare them but. The feel was very unnatural, your stick just dug in with little or no rebound. I may as well have played on cardboard boxes; the feel and the sound were incredibly annoying.

5. ♪. ♪. ♪. ♪.

I use the HQ soundoffs as well. They work great like previously stated. I'd recommend getting the HQ cymbal mutes, (these kind). They're great for the hihat and ride since you won't lose too much of the feel.

As far as playing in a dorm, I'm not sure how well that would work, even with pads on. The bass tones of the drums will still travel through the walls. You would need all your roommates and all the people living in the rooms surrounding your room to not be bothered by it, but chances are really high that someone will complain. I'd say mesh heads might be a better option.

You could also see if your school's music department has a practice room with a drum kit in it. You may be able to just use that and not worry about sound levels.

6. y did the asian cross da road?

hq sound offs +1
    Pearl Forum FZ Smokey Chrome 7 piece:
    8"x 7, 10"x 8, 12"x 9, 13"x 10, 16"x 16, 22"x 18

Zildjian:
    A Rock Hihats 14'
    A custom projection crash 18'
    A custom ride 22'
    A med thin crash 17'
    A custom splash 10' & 12'
    ZHT 10' & china 18'

My Kit