Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Giggity, giggity, goo!!!

Default Best heads: single or double ply?

Yo, dudes! I've got a monster SRX kit that I'm going to put new heads on soon, and I was wondering if I should try some single ply heads this time around. I bought these drums new in 2001, and they've always had 2-ply heads. It just seems like the 2-ply's choke out the sound too much, especially on the 8" and 10" toms. Have any of you guys experimented with different heads on these drums, and if so, what were your results? What about a mix of both?

2. Giggity, giggity, goo!!!

Default Fyi

Just in case anyone is interested, here's my kit makeup. I'll get some pics up someday soon.

Session Custom SRX in Vintage Fade
    Two 18x22 kicks (actually one is cran. fade. Anyone wanna trade for vintage fade?)
    7x8, 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 16x18 toms (16x18 is SMX)
    Chad Smith sig snare
    6.5 x 14 C.O.B. B-4514LXDC parallel action snare (if I can find new snare wires for it!!!!)
    Full Gibraltar rack and hardware
    Sabian cymbals
    Axis A longboards
    Attack heads

3. Registered User

well if you read a few threads the general sessions consensus is to use evans g2 (usually clear) for batter, and evans g1s (clear as well) as resos. Thats what I use and it sounds pretty great.
    as for the 8" it is a bit choked, but the best thing to do, in my experience is to just get the proper tunning between the batter and reso head so that they resonate about the same time, providing longer sustain, for me I have the 2 ply on top 1 on bottom, and i have the reso slightly higher than the batter, not alot, not even like a di-tone just a bit sharp, it sounds pretty good
    At one point I actually had to muffle it a bit believe it or not

p.s. check your inbox

4. Groovin'?

I have no problem using coated G2s on all batters and clear ambassadors on the resos. Even my 8 and 10" still sing out, it's all about tuning properly, not too high to choke out and not too low to frap out. A common trick for singing tone is to use a single-plys on the rack toms and double plys on floor tom batters.
    There is always yestermorrow...
    My Emerald Mists: 8x8 10x8 12x9 13x11 Toms 14x14 16x14 18x16 Floor Toms 18x16 20x16 24x18 Kicks 14x5.5 and 2 14x6.5 Snares
    Also Pearl: 2 14x6.5 Free Floaters (Maple, Brass & 2 Aluminum shells) 10x6 and 12x7 Maple snares, 13x3 Steel Afro Timbale

5. Jackson Collins

Yes I also have coated G2s over clear G1s, they sound fab. I also have a set of clear EC2s for my toms which also sound nice, Lot's more punch but requires good tuning or they just sound dead.

6. Jackson Collins

Also, i'd love to see some pics of your kit.

7. I <3 Miss Pearl

Buy a single ply for the 8" tom..........you will notice the drum open up.

You can't go wrong, the 8" drum doesn't have enough body to concern you anyway

8. Giggity, giggity, goo!!!

Right now, I'm using coated 2-ply's, even on the 8", and I think it just kills the little fella. It sounds ok, it just doesn't have the sustain I'd like. I think I'm gonna try single ply on all the toms, just to experiment. The question now is, coated or clear? I like the warmth of the coated heads, but maybe the drums will open up a bit more with clears. For goodness sake, these are maple drums, I ought to be able to put saran wrap on them and get a good sound!

9. Music sets u free

Quote Originally Posted by drumdude96
    Right now, I'm using coated 2-ply's, even on the 8", and I think it just kills the little fella. It sounds ok, it just doesn't have the sustain I'd like. I think I'm gonna try single ply on all the toms, just to experiment. The question now is, coated or clear? I like the warmth of the coated heads, but maybe the drums will open up a bit more with clears. For goodness sake, these are maple drums, I ought to be able to put saran wrap on them and get a good sound!
    Totally disagree!
    Maple drums, with thicker shells are warm and resonant, but the wrong head can kill your sound, Die Cast, triple flanged, tuning, and mounting system, they all can affect adversely your sound. And that is the first thing you need to establish, what kind of sound do you want. coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors is what most studio drummers use, because the coating warm the sound a bit and let the overtones be controlled, but the single ply will open up your drums with the most sustain and tone.
    Some times clear ambs can be very bright and pingy if not properly tuned, and it takes time to get the drum where you want it, but it will sing and sustain the most with this head.
    I love clear ambs, but under the mic, sometimes the ring is overwellming, so a quarter piece of moongel, takes care of that, but still the rebound, stick, and resonance given by the single ply remains, with coated no moongel needed.
    Good luck!
    Pearl BRX - 70's Ludwig Acrolite 404 - 1984 75th Anniversary Keystone Badge No Serial Ludwig Supraphonic 400 - Ludwig 402-Pearl Maple 14x5.5 MCX - Pearl MBX 6.5x14 - Zildjian A Customs and Vintage A's - Remo - Vic Firth - Audix

10. Session Drummer

I have 2 8" toms in my current setup (7X8, 8X8). Although 2 ply heads will muffle smaller toms more than single ply heads, I've had extremely good luck using the same heads on all of my drums. Emperors on batter, and Ambassadors on the reso. Clears worked the best for me. More tension on the heads will help reduce to a degree the 2 ply effect.
    "Ladies and gentlemen the professor on the drum kit................"

11. Tama Artist

Coated Ambos over clear Ambos

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

12. Registered User

I like an Aquarian studio-x on my 12'' with a genera reso on the bottom. For my floor i went with a performance 2 over genera reso for that deep flat floor tom sound. Finally found a good combo. snare is a hd dry (evans) over hazy 300 (evans) bass is a super kick II and a EMAD reso. I dig it
    Quote Originally Posted by Chioffe
    next time send her a picture of Satan burning a child.