Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Alex Van Halen Signature Snare

I just opened to the first page of the February edition of Modern Drummer Mag. It shows a limited edition AVH snare available. I can't find anything about it on the web. Anyone heard the inside skinny on this?

Paul
    Parker, CO

2. Music sets u free

Alex uses a Hammered Alum Ludwig Supraphonic in 6.5x14. I do not know if this new Sig snare is made by Ludwig, or has the same specs, but Alex's trade mark sound its his snare sound, and I really doubt he is changing harts after making his snare sound like it does for decades.
    Hope this helps!
    Pearl BRX - 70's Ludwig Acrolite 404 - 1984 75th Anniversary Keystone Badge No Serial Ludwig Supraphonic 400 - Ludwig 402-Pearl Maple 14x5.5 MCX - Pearl MBX 6.5x14 - Zildjian A Customs and Vintage A's - Remo - Vic Firth - Audix

3. Funk Brother

i saw the same ad but the ad says its a 6.5x14 snare 15plys of honduran santos rosewood

4. Gumbercules

I'm surprised he went with wood... doesn't he kill enough trees with those freaking huge sticks?!

5. Registered User

His signature is a Ludwig wood shell 6.5x14. Only 100 will be made. I can't find any info on the net. MD Mag is the only place I have seen the ad.

Paul
    Parker, CO

6. Registered User

freakin sweet

7. Registered User

I love the new snare (at least from what I've seen), but Alex never plays a snare like that..... at least not until recently. I believe he was a Supraphonic guys since 7 or so.

8. Registered User

Yeah, kind of odd to have your signature snare be some weird exotic wood that you've never played. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued and wanted to look up a price on the net. I came up totally blank. It's as if this thing doesn't exist. Realize there will only be 100 but jeez, this is ridiculous.

9. Drummin' 4 Decades..

That snare is beautiful - I posted a thread some time ago on it, and I think someone was kind enough to add a pic.

10. Registered User

He has always used a mix of different drums and hardware — even though he has been a Ludwig endorser for 30 years.

Supposedly he used a 1980s Tama Rosewood snare drum at one time from what I read on another forum.
    "The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."
    - Frederic Bastiat

TANSTAAFL

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by korch
    I love the new snare (at least from what I've seen), but Alex never plays a snare like that..... at least not until recently. I believe he was a Supraphonic guys since 7 or so.
    He used a Super Sensitive on the first 3 albums. Alex has switched between metal and wood snares over the years. On the 2008-2009 Tour, he played a wood snare. In his last MD interview he didn't give any details as to wood type or plies, so at this time we can't verify if in fact this Signature drum is based on that snare.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GCG199
    He has always used a mix of different drums and hardware even though he has been a Ludwig endorser for 30 years.

Supposedly he used a 1980s Tama Rosewood snare drum at one time from what I read on another forum.
    He used that drum starting on Fair Warning and continued to use it throughout the 1980's and early 90's.