Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by seaco711
    lol. i havent. my drum teacher and i were talking about how american music as a whole is. and i think its very important to be able to read music. especially in the culture in which we live. its nearly impossible to get a gig or much else without it. the only thing i was saying though, was, that many people that dont know how to read music are very, very experienced and creative because of it.
    I just fail to see how one can be more skilled whether they could read or not. Also, I beg to differ that it's near impossible to get a gig without being able to read.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by seaco711
    lol. i havent. my drum teacher and i were talking about how american music as a whole is. and i think its very important to be able to read music. especially in the culture in which we live. its nearly impossible to get a gig or much else without it. the only thing i was saying though, was, that many people that dont know how to read music are very, very experienced and creative because of it.
    I just think they're good drummers lol
    I don't think not reading made Buddy Rich the drummer he was, I think Buddy Rich is what made Buddy rich the great drummer he was.

3. ...

devildrums - not a bar gig. i was more speaking of orchestral type things.

blade - lol yeah that's true too haha
    sc.

My Kit

21" Zildjian A Rock Ride for sale

Laus Deo Semper.

4. Thatsh Blashphemy!

Dave Grohl dosn't read music, or count in his head.
    FLAT ERIC

"....Who whispers in the
    minds of our children"

5. Pearl Forum Moderator

Dennis Chambers doesn't read music.
    Pearl, the BEST reason to play drums

PDF PRESS

PHOTOGRAPHY - TWITTER - RUBBERDUCKY

6. ...

Quote Originally Posted by rockCORE-Ant
    really??? wow
    sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

7. Registered User

I don't see the big deal with not being able to read music. I've been jamming with a great keyboardist who has no idea of what he is technically doing and it sounds great. As a matter of fact, because he only plays by ear, he's always the one finding the mistakes with the rest of us because we're so locked into scales and common sense thinking, he just sees far beyond.

Obviously if you're into classical music, and you'd like to join an orchestra, that's a different story. But as far as regular popular music goes..

Also, I have not met one drummer that needs a sheet of music to learn a beat. I'm not sure why some people are surprised because [drummer] can't read notation?
    Beating 'em, and beating 'em up!

8. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wags
    I don't see the big deal with not being able to read music. I've been jamming with a great keyboardist who has no idea of what he is technically doing and it sounds great. As a matter of fact, because he only plays by ear, he's always the one finding the mistakes with the rest of us because we're so locked into scales and common sense thinking, he just sees far beyond.
    thats what i was saying.
    sc.

My Kit

Laus Deo Semper.

9. I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Wags
    I used to have problems with my old bassplayer all the time when it came to this stuff. He would play notes that sounded bad and then try and tell me it should work because its the 5th of this or that w/e. I was like i don't care what it is, it sounds bad so don't play it. Its almost like once he went to college and took jazz the theory took over from his ear. Now i have a pretty good understanding of theory, i understand why certain notes fit in certain places, scales, all that stuff, But in the end it sounds good or bad...you don't need theory for that, well if you do then you probably shouldn't be playing music.

I feel too many people approach music from an almost scientific point of view. Stop trying to push the boundaries of the instrument...seriously. People forget what music is about.

I know how to read music but i suck at it. I hate doing it so i don't.

10. Registered User

I can read as a utility for a studio gig or something, but I don't restrain myself to musical intervals when I'm writing. I just flow with a guitar usually and a lot of times it falls outside of a typical scale.

It helps to get a job like playing in a cover band at an amusement park, which is decent money. Or being in the pit for an orchestra.
    Towering Filth

Quote Originally Posted by etixd View Post
    I can take a 10-year-old out with one kick to the face, I don't see why the uncle didn't fight back?

11. ----->

Quote Originally Posted by rockCORE-Ant
    Beat me to it!

12. It's Puck Drop Time

There's some positives and some negatives with both situations. I myself can't read drum notation but it has never yet to restrict me in a playing situation. I can go into a jam session and let the players show me what they're playing and than I'll go and sit behind my kit and feel what they play and not have that burden of missing on half or quarter note and screw everything up. Do I wish I could read tabs? Of course I do and one day I'm going to take up some drum lessons and the learn proper rudiments but just as of right now I don't feel the need too. A lot of my drummer friends worry all the time about screwing up something on a sheet in front of them and they tell me it adds a certain pressure towards their performances and I can totally see where they're coming from.

People are all different. Some take pride in taking the proper classes to get where they are and others have pride in making mistakes to reach a certain level's of success.

Just my 2 cents.
    You are dyslexic?