Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Snare drum Tuning?

I am just very curious as to how everyone tunes there snare drums and why? And please give specific tuning instruction. Here is why.

I have always tuned my snare drums tight, because I wanted that poppy crack sound, but I would like to venture out of that, and try something new, but I honestly really don't know how to tune a snare drum any other way.

I am looking for a fat, focused sound, I am mainly concerned with tuning a 13x6.5 snare drum as well, any help would be appreciated, and sorry if there is a similar thread.

DW Collectors - Zildjian - Sabian - Vic Firth - Pearl - Evans

2. The Living Legend

i have an 8x14 with yamaha wood hoops on it and i go for a nice full bodied crack with some added heft and beef to it.

i crank the bottom head and tune the top about medium tight and it works nicely.i also use 50 strand snares for added sensitivity
    Epiarch Artist

My Kit

3. Registered User

I think a lot of people tune the reso tight and the batter a little looser for that kind of sound. I achieved that sound with my 6x10 porkpie snare. I had both sides cranked, and all I did was loosen the top down and it sound like a GREAT rock snare. Just not enough projection

I've read that a lot of people start with a medium tuning on both sides and go from there, depending on what sound they want

4. Assist in the Escape

Top head medium-tight (about 1 step below where it starts to be only crack), bottom head a step or two higher.

For a looser sound, loosen both heads about a step or two. If it feels too mushy, tighten up the bottom head. If it feels too ringy, drop the pitch of the top head a bit.

5. Registered User

Thanks guys, I am going to try your tips.

DW Collectors - Zildjian - Sabian - Vic Firth - Pearl - Evans