Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Safe for Pets

Default Building Drum Cases

Hi all. I have been looking for cases for my drums for quite some time, and I began to toss around the idea of building my own. Not conventional cases but the box trap cases like you see bands use on the road. I was thinking I could build it using 3/8"/1/4" plywood and cover the edges with a sort of plastic polyeurathane. I would install wheels and handles for easier transport. I think this could be a viable option and I was curious if anyone had some specs or ideas on how to build one for a standard 5-piece kit. I was thinking of building one for the bass drum and floor tom, and one for the toms and snare. Thanks!

-Johnboy
    Mapex Saturn Limited Edition Birch/Walnut
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Pearl/Axis Hardware

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...post1853966901 (SETUP PICS PAGE 2)

2. Registered User

just to let you know theres a lot of companies that sell parts and components to build your own, even some that sell disassembled flight cases to cut cost for shipping and of labor. just look around I'll see if I can find a link, I too was interested in doing such a thing, but unless you've got a rivet gun and all the equipment, you'd be better off just buying a case.

3. Mmmmmmm... Yeah....

I plan on building a set of cases for mine aswell, I am military and have to rely on moving companies to move all of my stuff. I have experienced and heard of horror stories when going through a move. Cases are a must have in my situation, and if you travel alot with your band.
    Pearl MCX
    8x7,10x8,12x9,14x14,16x16,22x18
    MW 12 x 6.5 MW 13 x 5.5 FF 14 x 3.5 Mangini 10 x 6.2
    Pearl Hardware with Roland Electronics
    Meinl Traditional, Dark, and Extra Dry Byzances
    Member of the Masters Army
    Member of the Masterworks Army

4. Madoner Kebab AKA The Madgebab

It costs way more then buying them off the shelf, and takes a lot of time.

Trust me, I built my own snare drum case. Never use, weighs and absolute ton, and is rather large and bulky, but i had to build it for my GCSE RM project.

Just get a self assembly flight case, or buy some off the shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-love
    well if I was a chic I would never get out of bed playing with my lady bits, so that point is moot :p

5. Cymbal Whore

Theres no reason you can't make them yourself.

CAses that are just as light....and less expensive.

Parts Express has alot the parts you would need....just add your own plywood.

You could spray with a truck bed liner.
    Tama/Zildjian/DrumWorkshop/Keller/Gibraltar

6. Turning my SMX into a MCX !!!

Well it all depends on how you move your kit, i.e. car, truck or trailer. I built my own all-in-one case for my 6 piece kit with a 501 ICON rack. One trip and your kit is at the stage !!! It works very well but you need to have a trailer ( with a ramp is best ) like I do to really benefit yourself and hope that you don't have gig where you have to go up stairs !!! But I build mine about 10 yrs. ago for less than $80. If your still thinking about it I can give you a list of what I used.
    MarineBlueFadeeeePlayer

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maniac0796
    It costs way more then buying them off the shelf, and takes a lot of time.

Trust me, I built my own snare drum case. Never use, weighs and absolute ton, and is rather large and bulky, but i had to build it for my GCSE RM project.

Just get a self assembly flight case, or buy some off the shelf.

I did the same, But I have to disagree I use mine all the time and it weighs next to nothing.

What were you using to make it?