Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Question How to store drums?

Hi, I need to dismantle and store my daughter's "forum" series drum set, maybe for a couple of years. We live in KY, hot humid summers, winters go below freezing. Is a dry but not insulated garage out of the question? Stuffy little attic any better? I would prefer that they remain round, of course, if possible.

We no longer have the original boxes. What should I use? Boxes/crates? Big plastic bags? Monkey-hair blankets? Monkey blankets stapled to plastic bags stuffed into crates? Yes, I AM clueless...don't even know what questions I need to ask. I'd appreciate advice. Thanks, Sharon

2. Drummist

Sharon--

You might purchase several moving blankets at the local U-Haul, and wrap them up, then cover them in sheet plastic against moisture damage. Both attic and garage aren't the best choices, as I wouldn't want to subject the drums to frezzing if it could be helped. Is your daughter's bedroom an option? A friend with a heated garage, or dry basement? That's my suggestions. Forums are great kits, and it's good to take care of them!

3. Registered User

Wow, That was impressively quick! I 've got the blankets and plastic.....still have to decide where they go. Attic is not humid, does not get really cold, but could hit 110+....no good, right? Am I trying to avoid changes in temp/humidity as well as extremes? I guess it's goodbye walk-in closet, hello, drum vault. Thanks, Sharon

4. Drummist

Sharon--

Actually, walk-in closet is a great idea, if you can do that. Just pad the drums against scratches, and you'd be set.

If the attic is reasonably well ventilated, and doesn't really freeze, that's probably an OK option, yes.

We aim to please, here on the forum.

5. the seed to your sunflower

i wouldnt vote attic since it can hit 110 heat and forums are wrapped drums it could cause the wrap to bubble.
    Truth Custom Drums
    Sabian AAX Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

6. anarchist cook book

if you store them in the attic you could take off all the wraps and store those somewhere nice...

7. It's all about technique

If you want the investment to last, the blankets are a good idea but I would spent the extra money on some soft cases and put them up in the attic. The basement would need a dehumidifier but still a good place store. Even a cedar closet would work. Good luck
    I play, therefore I am a Percussionist :cool:

8. Sabian crash test dummy

Yes, it would be worth it to invest in drum cases, soft cases would be suffecient for storing them. You want to avoid extreme temperatures and humidity, if it's too hot or too cold for you to stay in it's too hot/cold for them to stay in for long. You especially want to avoid exposing them to exteme temperature changes. The closet is the best option.

9. Registered User

Monday, EmoRD, Raven, Fred and Doc-- Drummers rock! thanks! I'm going with the closet, painful as it is to give up the space. I'm pretty sure I can make soft cases cheaper than I can buy them. (they are basically fake-leather zippered deals, yes?) I know this is going to sound really lame, but would one of you please tell me what wraps are? (i'm not this dumb about everything....umm...anybody got a sewing question? lol)
    Sharon

10. Drumtech extraordinaire

wrap is the plastic foil / covering that is attaced to the shell or WRAPED around it .. hope this helps
    DRUMBOO
    Bootally Yours
    Check out some of my websites!
    www.drumboo.com
    www.eric-singer.de

WANT A CUSTOM LOGO ON YOUR DRUMHEAD??
    www.DRUMSIGNS.com

11. Drumtech extraordinaire

btw lemme ask u a question .. what´s the actuall reason for storing them ?? she dont wanna play anymore ?
    DRUMBOO
    Bootally Yours
    Check out some of my websites!
    www.drumboo.com
    www.eric-singer.de

WANT A CUSTOM LOGO ON YOUR DRUMHEAD??
    www.DRUMSIGNS.com

12. the seed to your sunflower

the wrap is the part of the drum thats colored ie- green, yellow, black white or whatever its the colored part of the drum.
    Truth Custom Drums
    Sabian AAX Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware