Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Drum Dial Drum Tuner Vs. Tama Tension Watch- Do They Work?

Can someone tell me if these drum tuners work, if so which is better this tama one or drum dial?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-TW1...43-i1135227.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Drumdial...87-i1136239.gc

2. SUPREME MODULATOR

Neither are tuners...YOU are a tuner. They are tools to aid in achieving even tension around the head. Even tension along does not make a drum sound good.

3. Registered User

i used the Drum Dial before at my church for a snare. it works pretty well. the chartthat comes with it is pretty accurate, a little low for tuning if you ask me, but it sounds great if you do it right. Haven't tried it on toms or a kick yet.
    Dark Horse Percussion

My Yamaha

"If a beat feels good, you can hear a song before any other instruments are even played." - Steve Jordan

4. Registered User

They would work well on a perfect drumset, which doesn't exist. Even then, like PYRRHO said, you still need to do the actual work. A great sounding drum needs to have a batter and resonant head which have consonant tunings. Your ear is the best tuning tool out there and is free.

5. Bitter Clinger

I have a Drum Dial. It makes a good paperweight.

Thing is, they only get you close. I've never heard a drum tuned to "perfection" with a drum dial that didn't need lug-to-lug fine-tuning. And I've used it on drums that were demonstrably perfectly tuned and gotten varying readings.

They are also fooled sometimes--you'll get a high reading on a tension rod that's totally loose.

Their best use is to easily replicate a previous tuning when reheading--though I do the same thing with a $20 pitch-pipe. Also, they can be useful if you simply have to tune a drum backstage when the previous band is on and you can't hear anything.

I think the $60 would be far better spent on a couple of lessons with a drummer who can tune.
    Pearl ECX

New to tuning? Check these out:

Tuning toms Tuning Snares Tuning bass drums Why reso heads are important

Too much snare buzz? See this, then this.

6. - Verisäkeet -

I think it`s a good tool if you have 2 kicks, its easy to tune them equal

7. Grandmaster Yoda

You can get one for about $5

You're the tuner!
    Technics SL-1200

8. ° ° STARCLASSIC MAPLE ° °

° ° ° THE STRONGEST NAME IN DRUMS ° ° °

9. Registered User

meh they work fine. But as previously said you will mostlikely have to do some fine tuning. I dont even use mine anymore.

10. Sunrise Fade MMX

If you are having trouble learning how to or don't know how to tune - buy it NOW! Then as you listen to the drum as you use the dial it will teach your ears about the pitches (was that lower or higher), etc... I've not used mine in a long time but have owned the tama since it was first introduced. I've learned a few tricks to get the most reliable readings on the drum.

11. Registered User

I have limited time to play, so anything that will help me with tuning is a big plus. It doesn't tune the drums for you, but will help you to develop an ear and help you to determine what you like. IT will allow you to have a gauge of where you are and quickly make adjustments when playing with various tunings. If you try something and don't like, simply go back to where you were or try another.

I think it is a nice tool to have, but it won't get you perfect tuning.
    Pearl Custom Z 10-12-13-16, 24, 18
    DW Collectors 10-12-14-22
    Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22
    68 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16;
    WFL/Ludwig WMP 22-13-16; 14
    80's Gretsch 14-18-24
    WANTED: Custom Z 8", 14" toms; FOR SALE: Ludwig Blue Marble 12-13-16-16-18-22; Vistalite 13-14-15-16-18-24

12. Pearl Forum Moderator

The drumdial is a GREAT tool! I use it at work all the time and have learned, from my boss, a recipe for a SWEET snare sound.
    Pearl, the BEST reason to play drums

PDF PRESS

PHOTOGRAPHY - TWITTER - RUBBERDUCKY