Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Moderater

Default Which high end cymbals for jazz/rock?

Hi,

I am planning to change my cymbal setup to one brand mainly, since I really want cymbals that have the same feel and sound qualities. I want to know which cymbal line would be the best sounding for my type of music. I play rock music mainly (about 60% of the time), and jazz sometimes. I never play anything heavier (no metal). I want cymbals that are soft-medium loud. I will have the following sizes in my drum set:
    8, 10, and 12 in splashes
    13-15 in hi-hat
    20-22 in ride
    15, 16, 17, and 18 in crashes
    14, 16, and 18 in chinas.

Which of the following cymbal lines are good for me? I will go try some cymbals from all the brands I've listed, I just want some advice first.
    Zildjian A custom
    Zildjian K
    Zildjian K custom
    Paiste Traditionals
    Sabian HH
    Sabian HHX
    Istanbul Agop Traditionals
    Bosphorus
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment
    I do intense 250 BPM blast beats on my splash until they break. Then I go out and use my parent's money to buy more HHX splashes.

2. Sexy Time

I think you might be going about it in the wrong way. You need to go by sound that you like and feel free to mix.
    Pearl MCX
    Tama Starclassic Performer
    Gretcsh Catalina Jazz
    Roland TD-20S
    Vic Firth
    Evans/Aquarian
    Sabian/Zildjian/Paiste/Bosphorus/Meinl

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sgt1371
    I think you might be going about it in the wrong way. You need to go by sound that you like and feel free to mix.
    I agree. Don't go for cymbals that theoretically look like they would work together or that match on paper. Just go to a bunch of stores and hit every cymbal they have, and pick out the nicest ones. In the end the ink on the cymbals don't really matter.

4. -__-

Quote Originally Posted by drummer_kid
    Which of the following cymbal lines are good for me? I will go try some cymbals from all the brands I've listed, I just want some advice first.
    Zildjian A custom
    Zildjian K
    Zildjian K custom
    Paiste Traditionals
    Sabian HH
    Sabian HHX
    Bosphorus
    Obviously when you go and try them out you'll ultimately decide then what suits you best, but i'd also be adding Paiste 2002/Zildjian Avedis/Sabian AA to the mix as well to try out. If you choose wisely they can be equally as useful for jazz as they are for rock.

5. Registered Snoozer

when you limit yourself to one brand you're limiting the sound possibilities just for looks. if you went into a music store, played the cymbals blindfolded and chose the ones that you thought sounded the best, i can guarantee they would all be different brands. don't be afraid to mix & match, it's not like anyone is going to know what brand you're using when they're listening to a song.

edit: well, people said it before me.

6. SUPREME MODULATOR

Quote Originally Posted by drummer_kid
    Hi,

I am planning to change my cymbal setup to one brand mainly, since I really want cymbals that have the same feel and sound qualities. I want to know which cymbal line would be the best sounding for my type of music. I play rock music mainly (about 60% of the time), and jazz sometimes. I never play anything heavier (no metal). I want cymbals that are soft-medium loud. I will have the following sizes in my drum set:
    8, 10, and 12 in splashes
    13-15 in hi-hat
    20-22 in ride
    15, 16, 17, and 18 in crashes
    14, 16, and 18 in chinas.

Zildjian A custom
    Zildjian K
    Zildjian K custom
    Paiste Traditionals
    Sabian HH
    Sabian HHX
    Bosphorus
    So much to learn young grasshoppa

7. ... approves this message.

I also discourage you to sticking with one brand, but I'll play along... other than what you've mentioned, also look into Dream Bliss and Contacts.

http://shop.virtualcymbals.com/category.sc?categoryId=2

8. i am the sea

judging by the link in your sig (op), your current cymbal setup seems fine. why do you want to replace them all? (its nicer than my cymbal setup anyways)

9. Registered User

I also agree, the cymbals you have now are quite nice. Maybe stick within those respective lines you already have just to get a better blend. I dont know why everyone is saying don't be afarid to mix when quite obviously you already do and don't care. Sure try them out and see what you like best, but also keep in mind blending. the nicest 8" splash may be too bright for the cymbals you already have. althought its the nicest sounding 8 make sure it mixes well with your other choices. personally i like k hybrids, nice sound very light i love those crashes and the rides are nice(can be a bit washy depending on the specific one you choose). Bosphrous is nice too, the only problem is alot of stores (my gc for example) carries only zildjian and paiste sabian on hand so you cant always try them all.
    I think people need to make more suggestions in this thread rather than saying "dont fear mixing" or "try them all out", afterall advice is what you asked for

10. Registered User

A good question would be is there anything you feel any or all of your current cymbals are lacking?

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate
    A good question would be is there anything you feel any or all of your current cymbals are lacking?
    I looked over your cymbals too. All are high end all ready.
    Where are they lacking and why not just build onto what you have already.

12. Moderater

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate
    I like all my current cymbals, but I feel like the Zildjian A's I have (bought in a pack with my drum set) don't work that well for jazz. They seem like they "clash" with quieter jazz music, even though they're supposed to be versatile. Do you think I should just replace my A series ride (ride=most important for jazz?), crash, and hats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment
    I do intense 250 BPM blast beats on my splash until they break. Then I go out and use my parent's money to buy more HHX splashes.